Adopted Minutes

 

Thursday 14 June 2001

 

 


PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders

CICCC Chair person

Deborah Macfarlane

community rep./ CICCC committee

Carlo Fasolino

Op. Manager Terminals P.Ltd./committee

Ian Thomas

community rep./ committee

Ted Towson

community rep./ committee

Dr Peter Brotherton

Combined Enviro. Groups / committee

Ian Swann

Plastics & Chemicals Ind Ass / committee

George Horman

Terminals Pty Ltd / committee

 

 

 

Matthew Wylie

WorkCover/ex off committee

Michael Isaachsen

community rep./committee

Peter Reddie

Gen Manager Terminals / committee

Jim Clements

Environ. Protec Auth/ex off committee

Trevor Perkins

commander /MF&ESB/ex off comm

Wayne Bergin

Environ. Protec Auth/ex off committee

Cameron Fitzgerald

Environ. Protec Auth/ex off committee

Vanessa Richardson

minute taker


 

 

 

 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR & APOLOGIES

 

            The chairperson welcomed the committee members and others in attendance.

 

            Apologies were received from Faye Simpson and Gordon Harrison.

 

 

ITEM 2. CONFIRMATION OF THE AGENDA

 

            The Draft Agenda was adopted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 3. BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES, INCLUDING GOVERNMENT CONSIDERATION OF THE MARSTEL PROPOSAL.

 

            Matthew said that the WorkCover six monthly audit of Terminals was conducted over     three days last week.

ACTION. Matthew will circulate a written report about the audit to all CICCC members one week prior to the next CICCC meeting. This matter will be further discussed at the next CICCC meeting.

 

            Matthew reported that next week is Health and Safety Week so WorkCover are             presenting a seminar. It will be held at the Daraben Community Centre. Contact             Matthew if you would like more details.

ACTION. Matthew will e-mail the flier to Robin ( who will e-mail the flier to CICCC members) and Matthew will post the flier to Ted and Michael.

 

            Cameron said that the EPA’s OPSIS system on Coode Island had some teething problems during Jan - April. The visible light path has been operating well during the past 6 weeks. It can be seen on a foggy night.

            It’s readings of benzene, toluene and xylene levels are under the EPA’s present and proposed SEPP limits. However when there is a North wind, emissions from traffic in the inner city containing benzene and toluene do increase the readings a little. however the readings are still under the proposed SEPP limit levels. The increases occur in 20 minutes spikes mainly in the mornings about 8 am.

            There are also some increases of benzene when ship loading of benzene is occurring at Terminals ( but still under the SEPP limits).

            Increased levels of toluene during WNW winds are not coming from the Terminals site because this chemical is no longer stored on the Terminals site.

            Ian Thomas asked why ethyl acrylate was not being detected when there have been odour complaints made by some members of the public.

            Cameron said that ethyl acrylate has not been detected because the OPSIS system does not make readings of a low enough limit to pick up ethyl acrylate emissions.

            No cumene has been detected either.

ACTION. Cameron will prepare a list of the chemicals that are detected by OPSIS, the lower limit of detection by OPSIS and the EPA’s allowable limits for each chemical.

 

            Cameron said that the Terminal’s license was amended today to enable improvements to the scrubber as discussed at the April CICCC meeting.

 

See Attachment 4

            Terminals pleaded guilty in court for an EPA prosecution. The orders given to Terminals include

                        1. Terminals to pay $30,000 towards monitoring of air pollution in the                   Yarraville, Footscray and Kensington area.

                        2. Pay a fine of $5,000 to assist a community project.

 

            Peter Reddie hopes that in the future Terminals can build on this positive initiative for the local community .

 

Ian Thomas said he thought it would be more appropriate for the community monitoring activity to be for acrylates rather than general pollutants.

 

            Cameron said that the government are still making a decision regarding the Marstel proposal. There has been no further information sought by State and Regional Development from the EPA or WorkCover.

 

            Peter Reddie said Ross Petersen told him that there had been a recent meeting and it was decided that further information would be sought which would take about 2 weeks to get. Candy Broad (Minister for Ports Assisting and Minister for State and Regional Development and Resources) is making the final decision.

            He said that no further information has been sought from Terminals.

 

            Robin said that the matter of a long term lease was a key issue for Terminals so they could feel confident about making substantial financial investments in the storage facility. He said it was unfortunate that Terminals were (this week) being asked to make more costly improvements under their license when the long term lease arrangements have not been resolved with the government.

 

            Cameron said that the changes sought by the EPA to the scrubber, are in response to numerous odour complaints from the public and are medium term measures only.

            Peter Reddie said the improvements to the scrubber will cost Terminals $1.2 million. Terminals will make some use of the improved scrubber as part of any future redevelopments that occur.

            George said this was going to be an extra cost to Terminals over and above what was planned in the redevelopment plans.

 

            Peter Reddie said that since the last CICCC meeting the possible cause of the odour complaints had been found. On the Bentley Chemplax (Mobil) terminal site an old corroded pipeline containing ethyl acrylate was found. It may be more than ten years since the pipeline had been in service. Ethyl acrylate has been dripping from a valve. The ground beneath was saturated. Both the pipe and the contaminated soil have been removed.

            Trevor said that the MF&ESB have replied in response to the CICCC’s letter regarding the development of information fridge magnets. The letter is ‘in the mail’.

ACTION. Trevor will check that the letter has been sent to the CICCC.

 

ITEM 4. CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING OF 10 MAY 2001   

 

            The minutes were accepted as a true record with the following changes

 

            1. Add Deborah’s name to the PRESENT at the meeting list.

            2. Corrections provided by Jim Clements, namely:

                        in Item 4, page 8, the sentence “Jim said that under Section 23 the EPA could               direct Marstel to disclose information to the public before the Works Approval                    process is entered into.” is to be replaced by “Jim said that EPA could require               Marstels to participate in a consultative process under Section 20B of the Act                    that could include consultation prior to lodgement of the Works Approval.”

 

                        In the same item, at the bottom of page 9, in the sentence “Jim said the                               Department were presently considering a number of issues regarding that site.”                replace “Jim” by “Ross”.

 

ITEM 5. SAFETY CASE (TERMINALS PROPOSED PUBLIC CONSULTATION ON ACRYLONITRILE AND PROPYLENE OXIDE) WRITTEN REPORT GEOFF MILLARD

See Attachment 1

 

            George said that all the pilot studies for PO and Acrylonitrile are near completion and WorkCover will review the studies at a meeting with Terminals on the 28/6/1. If WorkCover accept them then Terminals will make a presentation to the CICCC. After Workcover and CICCC input, Terminals will then start to complete the Safety Case for all other products at Melbourne and Geelong.

 

            Matthew said that WorkCover require Terminals to provide them with a study of how one chemical (of substantial importance) is handled under their proposed Safety Case plan. They must show that their facility can adequately cope with the storage of that chemical.

ACTION. George to report to the CICCC about the Safety Case pilot study at the next meeting. This will occur if a government decision about the lease of the site has been made by that time.

 

ITEM 6. FOLLOW-UP WITH MARSTEL CONCERNING CONSULTING WITH THE COMMUNITY, MEDIA RELEASE (IAN SWANN AND PETER BROTHERTON)     

            The CICCC discussed at length the contents of the proposed media release. Some members of the CICCC expressed concern about the lack of detail they have been given about the Marstel proposal.

 

            Deborah said she has concerns that Marstel’s proposal is to manage a facility that is 6 times larger than anything they have managed previously. It will probably also mean there is a further delay to redevelopments on Coode Island for another 2 years.

            Robin said Marstel’s submission was a concept only. There was no detailed planning, as is the case with the Terminal’s proposal.

 

            Ian Thomas said he has 14 objections to the new Terminals development. He said that at least with the Marstel proposal the propylene oxide would be positioned further away from residents and so it may be a better proposal for residents in the longer term.

            In discussion, attendees were reminded that to meet the WorkCover requirement that the 10-5 safety contours are contained on the site, the PO tanks had to be moved from abutting Mackenzie Road. From this perspective, the Marstel draft layout would need revision.

 

            Some phrases were added to Peter’s suggested media release. It was agreed that Peter would provide Robin with the text of the amended paragraphs, and Robin would complete the media release and circulate the draft to community and environment group representatives.

 

            The main issue was that the CICCC wanted a government decision ASAP so that any further delays to an upgrade would be avoided.

ACTION. Robin to complete the press release and send it to community and environment members for comment before release.

 

            A discussion ensued about the process for input and changes to past CICCC press releases.

ACTION . Robin and Ian to discuss communications between them regarding the content of the last press release.

 

            Ian Swann said that PACIA contacted some of their member companies who work with the Marstel company. They advised Marstel that some members of the CICCC welcomed the opportunity of a meeting with Marstel.

            PACIA has had discussions with Marstel about PACIA’s ‘Responsible Care (RC)’ program. Marstel have expressed interest in becoming associate members of PACIA, which involves becoming a member of the Responsible Care program. He said an associate member ($3,300 pa) does not have full voting rights. RC program membership costs $3,000 pa. Full membership costs of PACIA are determined as a percentage of total company turn over rates pa. PACIA has full chemical industry members who are manufactures and/or service providers.

            Ian Swann also said it was suggested informally to the Victorian Chemical Manufacturers Bulk Storage group (VCMBSG) that they also meet with the CICCC.

            Peter Reddie said that there are 5 companies in the VCMBSG. Terminals have a heads of agreement with 3 of those companies. One of them also has a heads of agreement with Marstel. John Cockshott is the VCSGM co-ordinator.

ACTION. Robin to write and to VCMBSG and invite John to meet with the CICCC at its July meeting. John will be encouraged to bring representatives of the five companies to the meeting.

 

 

 

 

           

ITEM 7. PRESENTATION BY EPA DIRECTIONS TO MPC (JIM CLEMENTS)

 

            Cameron said that the pipe containing the ethyl acrylate and the associated contaminated soil have been removed from the Bentley Chemplax (Mobil) site.The company has not been fined because it was not seen by the EPA to be a major odour event. He said that Terminals are not fined for every odour complaint either.

            The pipe in question had not been in use for 10 or more years. It contained less than 100 litres of ethyl acrylate.

 

            He said one potential source of odours is during the process of unloading ships. He said further controls on the wharf are required to manage these possibilities. Recently the EPA served a Notice on the MPC to develop an Environment Improvement Plan (EIP) to address this matter. On the 4 June they submitted their plan which contained very good procedures for a list of chemicals handled on the warf.

ACTION. Cameron will make enquires to see if the plan can be made available to the CICCC as requested.

ACTION. If received, Robin will distribute the above to CICCC members.

 

            Cameron said that there have been changes in procedures for sampling chemicals. They are now sampled inline between 2 valves so that the release of odours is minimised. Vapour return for all export shipping operations is also required now. They were previously vented to the atmosphere.

            Ian Thomas asked if the Marstel proposal had included this process of venting where both import and export processes were vapour returned? In contrast he said Terminals only return the export lines.

            Cameron said the EPA have looked closely at this issue. He said it was not possible for Terminals to vapour return their imports because of pressure differences in their storage tanks. He said it was only possible for Terminals to vapour return on the import of propylene oxide.

            Peter Reddie said Terminals have thoroughly researched this matter as part of the development plans for the upgrade. He said that when imports are vented back to the ship the ship will often vent to the atmosphere when it leaves the port and so the outcome for the environment is not ideal in the long run.

            He believes that Marstel are showing a lack of experience by stating that their proposed capital investment will enable them to install pressurised tanks capable of handling vapour return on imported chemicals.

            Cameron said that the Terminals proposal was Worlds Best Practise.

           

           

ITEM 8. REPORTED SPILL OF CUMENE (ISOPROPYL BENZENE) ‘NEAR WHERE THE YARRA AND MARIBYRNONG MEET’ (PETER BROTHERTON)

           

            Cameron said the EPA are investigating this matter. It occurred near the No1 berth. The ship responsible for the spill was the ‘Bow Sky’ (Odfjell Line), of Scandinavian origin.     Approximately 100 litres of cumene spilt onto the ship’s deck from a small hole in the transfer line. There was a lot of rain falling at the time. The pumps could not remove the full capacity of the water on the deck. The cumene was floating on the top of the water and spilled over into the river.

            The EPA have investigated the matter and may take further enforcement action. The EPA also scrutinised the clean up of the spill.

            Carlo said cumene is a flammable liquid used to make phenyl & acetone.

            Peter Reddie said it is about as flammable as toluene. Its other characteristics are

                        - Can cause irritation when inhaled

                        - Can cause blistering when in contact with skin for prolonged periods

                        - Toxic to marine life

                        - Low odour threshold. (Some people at CSR complained of the odour)

 

ITEM 9. ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETINGS

 

            9.1 MPC lease details (see letter from MPC, Attachment 2)

 

            9.2 Complaint by Lonely Planet (Jim Clements)

           

            Wayne said he investigated Gabrielle’s complaint that the EPA took more than 24             hours to respond to their odour compliant. He said the EPA normally allow 3 days in            which to respond. The EPA did not realise that the complaint was related to activities     on Coode Island and the EPA have not had complaints from the Lonely Planet side of the river before. The EPA have written and given assurance to the Lonely planet that       they will respond more urgently if more complaints are made.

 

            George said that on the 8th June 2001, representatives from Lonely Planet were shown over Terminals and were acquainted with the operations. He said that Lonely Planet had had one odour complaint which occurred on the 2 April 2001 which Terminals did       not hear about until some weeks later. To ensure such complaints are promptly             investigated in the future, Terminals and Lonely Planet have set up a communication            protocol that will ensure complaints are quickly notified and investigated by            Terminals immediately.

 

            9.3 Attendance at WorkCover 6 monthly audit (Ted Towson)

 

ACTION. Ted wishes to provide a written report and the item is deferred to the next meeting

 

            9.4 Worst Case Scenario. Update from HSE sub-committee on the Consultant    Response

 

            Ian said that 2 companies have responded. They are Worley Safety and R2A. The             documents are being evaluated by the HSE sub committee. Both are excellent.

ACTION. The HSE sub-committee will make the final recommendation re which tender to accept on behalf of the CICCC . They will also submit a written report to the CICCC stating the pros and cons of their recommendation.

 

            Peter Reddie said that Terminals will be funding the consultant for this task. He said      they are not prepared to do this until the government have made a final decision             regarding the use of the BP site, and Terminals know that they will be continuing to         store the most hazardous substances

ACTION. The sub-committee will write to those who submitted tenders, informing them that they will be advised of the successful tenderer and a commencement date for the project, following the government’s decision regarding Coode Island.

 

ACTION. George and Carlo said they will assist the sub-committee with the assessment of the tender documents.

 

            9.5 Emergency communication (see correspondence from Maribyrnong City Council)

            See Attachment 3

 

            Deferred to next meeting

 

ITEM 10.

 

            CORRESPONDENCE OUT

           

            none   

 

            CORRESPONDENCE IN

 

            - Melbourne Port Corporation, 22 May 2001

            See Attachment 2

           

            - Maribyrnong City Council, 7 May 2001

            See Attachment 3

 

            Peter Reddie said the recent cumene spill from the ship was reported to radio 3WRB who made appropriate community announcements until 10.30am on the morning of the spill.

 

            Jim said that the government is going to show leadership in this matter of emergency community information. Presently Leo van der Tooren and the Technical Working group (Dept of Justice) are working on this task with Emergency Management Services, local government and other government departments.

            Robin reminded the meeting that the community have been waiting 9 years for the development of community service initiatives. He requested that reports on the progress of this initiative be made at regular intervals.

ACTION. Trevor will relay Robin’s request for ongoing reports to the Emergency Services Office.

ACTION. Robin to write to Leo van der Tooren stating the CICCC’s areas of concern, request that they consult with the CICCC and that they give the CICCC regular briefings.

           

 

 

ITEM 11. REVISED VECS (VAPOUR EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM) STRATEGY (GEORGE HORMAN)

 

            Terminals proposes to install a two stage caustic scrubber to treat Acrylates at it’s plant C site as required under the new EPA licence amendment. It will be installed by the end of the year. This will l be a permanent upgrade that will be used for the treatment of Acrylate vapours regardless of what happens at the BP site.. It is used to treat existing Acrylates stored at plant C and ethyl acrylate vapours in the first instance, and later other Acrylates, currently stored at plant B will be relocated to plant C and connected to this new system. . The new scrubber will be 15 times larger than the one presently in operation. The estimated cost is $1.2 million. It will consist of two 1.3M diameter by 9M high columns.. A 31 metre stack will also be installed.

            A new VECs sytems for other chemicals will have to be installed in addition to the new scrubber because the existing vapour controls systems are not adequate. They will need to be upgraded as well. At this stage Terminals is considering installing a new combustor at its Plant B site to manage hydrocarbon vapour emissions.

 

            Jim said that if Terminals are not successful in getting the BP site, the redevelopment plans for the current Terminals’ site could move ahead without the need for yet another Works Approval. The appropriate short term requirements for benzene management require ongoing discussion and may require installation of new vapour emission equipment.

 

           

 

ITEM 12. MONTHLY REPORT FROM TERMINALS (CARLO)

See Attachments 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4

            Carlo said there were 4 monthly reports to make. The HSE subcommittee will look at 3 of them and Carlo will report on the most current report tonight.

 

            In response to Ian Thomas’s question Carlo said monitoring the P&O site had been an expensive exercise for Terminals. They have recently stopped that monitoring .

 

ITEM 13. MONTHLY REPORT FROM HS&E SUB-COMMITTEE

See Attachment 6

 

            Ian Thomas said the sub-committee looked closely at the incident where a truck driver was accidentally splashed with benzene. They have asked PACIA to comment about the incident.

            Matthew will continue to assist with the risk matrix when he can.

 

            In response from Ian Thomas (Chair of the HSE Subcommittee) Ian Swann said PACIA were going to have one of their members on the HSE subcommittee.

 

            The final report for the ‘Exercise Overflow’ was tabled.

See Attachment 7

ACTION. The subcommittee would like this on the agenda for discussion at the next CICCC meeting.

 

 

ITEM 14. TOOLS USED BY INDUSTRY TO COMMUNICATE WITH NEIGHBOURING COMMUNITIES (IAN SWANN)

See Attachments 8 and 8.1

            Ian covered 2 different approaches to community alert systems. One is a siren based process used at the Altona site in Melbourne (implemented by individual companies)and the other an electronic system used in Western Australia (an industrial group response).

            He said that the Altona alarms are activated by the Altona North Police, and in an emergency by the shift supervisor on the relevant site. A coordinating team is responsible for the implementation of the emergency management process. Other companies have similar processes which are designed to fit the unique requirements of each operational site.

            The Western Australian PCCOPS system relies on pre recorded messages, supplemented where required with tailored messages to suit the particular emergency situation. It is a newly installed system located at the Kwinawa industrial complex (at Coburn Sound, about 45 mins south of Perth). It involves a 60 line automatic exchange, through which the message can be sent out to up to 3,600 home phones per hour. The homes are defined by a predetermined geographical area around the facility. This system could be implemented with an expanded number of phone lines.

ACTION. These initiates will be further discussed at the next CICCC meeting. Martin Jones will attend for PACIA.

 

ITEM 15. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING 12 JULY 2001

 

            See all the above ACTION ITEMS.

 

            Trevor to report on the ‘Protect in Place’ project.

 

ITEM 16. GROUNDWATER AND SITE SOIL SURVEY (EPA AND TERMINALS)

 

            deferred

 

 

ITEM 17. OTHER BUSINESS

 

            17.1 Robin advised that he would table UNEP documents on the APELL (Awareness     and Preparedness for Emergencies at Local Level). These include reports on Hazard       Identification and Evaluation in a Local Community (1998) and Guidance for       Dangerous Goods Transport Emergency Planning in a Local Community (2000).

 

 

CLOSE.

           

            Time 10.00

 

 

 

NEXT MEETINGS  

 

            Thursday 12 July 2001

            Thursday 9 August 2001                              

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CICCC ATTACHMENTS TO DRAFT MINUTES

 

14 June 2001

 

 

 

 

Attachment    1          Public Consultation on Pilot Study of AN and PO for the CICCC                                       (Geoff Millard)

Attachment    2         Correspondence from Melbourne Port Corporation, 22 May 2001

Attachment    3          Correspondence from Maribyrnong City Council, 7 May 2001

Attachment    4          EPA Press Release, 7 June 2001

Attachment    5.1       Terminals Monthly Operations and Occurrence Report, May 2001

                        5.2       Terminals Monthly Operations and Occurrence Report, April 2001

                        5.3       Terminals Monthly Operations and Occurrence Report, March 2001

                        5.4       Terminals Monthly Operations and Occurrence Report, February 2001

Attachment    6          HSE Sub committee minutes for May 2001

Attachment    7          Final report for the ‘Exercise Overflow’

Attachment    8          Presentation overheads for ‘Tools Used by Industry to                                                       Communicate with Neighbouring Communities’

                        8.1       PCCOPS- police emergency telecommunications system in WA