COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 19th May, 2005

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Margaret Donnan

Manager Regulatory Affairs, PACIA

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Geoff Cooke

WorkSafe

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Mark Dalrymple

MFB Manager Community Safety Western Zone

Bro Sheffield Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Peter Egberts

ERM Australia Ltd

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Mayada Dib

Community member

Peter LaRose

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Welcomed Mayada Dib, resident, who has an interest in the environment, and        Peter Egberts, ERM Australia Ltd who will make a presentation on the       remediation progress and welcome also to Bro who has not been able to be        present at many meetings. Robin then asked Peter Egberts to make his   presentation first to enable Peter to leave early. (Details in Item 5)

 

ITEM 2.      APOLOGIES

 

George Horman

                   

ITEM 3.      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 4.      ADVISORY COMMITTEE RE 99 MORELAND STREET

 

Robin:        Informed meeting application was withdrawn in favor of a new site near the             railway line. A newspaper article from “The Age” 15/5/05 was presented regarding port plan to close off waterfront of which copies were distributed to   committee.


 

                   

Quentin:     Noted it was a draft plan which was going to have a long period of consultation prior to implementation.

 

Robin:        Asked Theo if he knew about details of the article.

 

Theo:          Said it was the first time he had seen the article and was not up to speed with regard to information and details.

 

Ian:             Made committee aware that access to the river on Footscray side could be gained via crawling under the fence should anyone wish to make a protest.

 

Bro:             Need to open up the issue of the land use of the port. Public locked out and very limited access. What are this committees views regarding the use of this land by the port.

 

Faye:          Port therefore negating any form of transition for use of this land for preferably parks and gardens. Solution then insistence on the use of buffer zones.

 

Robin:        The State Government wants to secure access to the port therefore gaining more control of the port and its facilities. People are being frozen out of the port area.

 

Bro:             Therefore excluding all multifunctional use.

 

Ian:             The port is looking at it from a terrorism point of view. Regretful change in the ambit which restricts us from talking about other issues than those relating to Terminals.

 

Carlo:         Buffer zones really have nothing to do with Terminals and suggested that as Michael actually sits on the Port Committee would he be prepared to put CICCC ideas to committee.

 

Quentin:     Asked if anyone had verified the comments of the council in the article.

 

Theo:          Was unable to comment as it was the first time he had seen the article.

 

Bro:             Was it a matter of consideration to committee. Suggested a copy of the draft plan be obtained, collect the information and have a look.

 

Geoff:         Asked whether copies of the Draft Port Environs Plan were available as he did not know of the plan.

 

Robin:        Stated he had one copy which was discussed at two CICCC meetings earlier which is referred to as the Draft Port Environs Plan which has been discussed along with the 99 Moreland Street application.

 

                    In terms of this item both Ian and Bro will obtain a copy and prepare a report on the Plan and determine if there is any interest to the CICCC for the next meeting.

 

Ian:             Whether the Port Plan is within the ambit of the CICCC.

 

Robin:        Suggested we look at whether the Port Plan as a whole is an issue to be dealt with by this committee.

 

Action:      Ian and Bro to obtain copy and report back to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 5:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    Peter Egberts

                    ERM Australia Ltd – Project Director for Remediation of East Side

 

                    Informed meeting of the status of the demolition of tanks and associated infrastructure on the east side of Mackenzie Road. Spoke on the testing of the soil and the removal of the contaminated soil to the SITA Lyndhurst site. An EPA accredited auditor will oversee and approve all steps in the remediation process. A qualified hygienist will be available to monitor odours, and woill stop site work if odours threaten to spread beyond the site. Ensured committee that backfill would be clean and that ERM intended to do better than baseline criteria for backfill. P & O had requested a different type of backfill as they would like to place containers on top of soil. ERM looking at maximum particle size requirements.

 

                    Vehicles used for removing the contaminated soil were registered carriers of prescribed waste and licensed to do so. Each truck has to be EPA licensed and transport certificates would be issued for each load.

 

                    The topics covered in Peter’s presentation were as follows:-

 

Š               Previous Investigations

Š               Further Investigations

Š               Remediation

Š               Remediation Targets

Š               Works to be completed

Š               Removal of contamination

Š               Expected Outcome

 

                    Peter mentioned that there had been over 400 boreholes (in a 10m by 10m grid) tested for some 200 chemicals. A further 25 to 30 test pits will be dug and tested when the existing infrastructure is moved. Chemicals associated with the oil industry were found, including TPH, BTEX, PAH, pthalates and TCE. The excavation of contaminated soil is generally to about 300mm below the water table, which is 1½ to 3 metres below the surface.

 

                    A Statement of Environmental Audit is expected by April 2006. Heavy metals won’t be remediated.

 

Robin:        Thanked Peter for his presentation.

 

                    WORKSAFE

                    Presented by Geoff Cooke – Safety Case Officer for Terminals – Major Hazard Site.

 

Geoff:         Visited the Terminals site 7th March, 2005 and looked at the Safety Case, Improvement Plan and the training undertaken.

 

                    Primary concern was to monitor Terminals to make sure they are complying to the Safety Case. An informal meeting was held on the 10th March, 2005 regarding the decommissioning of the East side. Looked at the hazards associated with the decommissioning such as pipelines and making sure tanks were fully gas free. Everything tracking okay so far with regular dialogue.

 

Robin:        How has he viewed the demolition so far.

 

Geoff:         Has yet to see the timeline/plan to get everything gas free. Making sure all procedures are being adhered to.

 

Peter:         Every part of Terminal is checked and gas free.

 

Robin:        Sensed a certain amount of uncertainty on Geoff’s behalf.

 

Geoff:         Did not wish to convey that message and apologized for misunderstanding.

 

Peter:         All responsibility for site stops with himself.

 

Ian:             Assumed everything on site (east) sits open at the moment.

 

Geoff:         If at the next meeting Terminals presents timelines he will let committee know where on timeline Worksafe has checked demolition progress.

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented by Carlo Fasolino

 

Carlo:         Non hazardous tanks at Plant C now fully operational. All tanks upgraded and all on new bases. Simms Street, South extension now complete and in use therefore diverting traffic under the bridge.

 

Ian:             Due to the Simms Street south extension additional amount of land is now available for the public to enjoy.

 

Carlo:         Suggested a site visit at the next meeting 4th August, 2005 at 4:30 pm then back to the Maribyrnong Town Hall for the formal meeting. (Map and directions on how to get to Terminals will be provided)

 

                    Annual Environmental Report sent to EPA.

                    External 6 monthly Quality Audit – no issues therefore Terminals maintains ISO accreditation.

 

Robin:        Requested Annual Environment Report be presented at the next meeting.

 

                    METROPOLITAN FIRE BRIGADE

                    Presented by Mark Dalrymple, MFB Manager Community Safety Western Zone

 

Mark:          Not much to report, would make a commitment to visit site to conduct site familiarization of personnel.

 

Peter:         Asked if MFB were going to be involved in the next Emergency Scenario. Felt all agencies should be involved.

 

Carlo:         The last scenario was very well organized where all agencies took part.

 

Ian:             Felt cross pollination between agencies is ideal but not always obtainable.

 

Peter:         All we can do at Terminals is to talk to the different agencies and try and get co-ordination.

 

Robin:        Everyone tries hard but difficult to achieve.

 

Mark:          The brigade has a corporate commitment to co-operate with other authorities and must co-operate under due diligence and legislation.

 

Theo:          Has been involved in several scenarios which have been very successful.

 

Peter:         If a combined emergency exercise could be organized it would be most beneficial.

 

Ian:             Response time to get to either end of the City Link tunnels in Melbourne is 7 minutes.

 

Theo:          Made mention of the launch of the Evaluation Report of the Telephone Messaging System trial by the Police & Emergency Services Minister at the council tomorrow 20th May, 2005. The project steering group will then meet and evaluate responses and consider next steps.

 

Deborah:   After Tsunami in Hawaii an automatic telephone messaging system was instituted.

 

Theo:          Council would be advocating the use of this technology for emergency communication for real situations. How the government implements the system is up to them. There are other important considerations to be considered, such as raising community awareness, and resolving issues such as the current need to keep accurate and updated telephone numbers, which is limiting and confines the application of this technology to fixed geographical areas.

 

Robin:        Asked Theo if he could give a report on land use and public access.

 

Action:      Theo to give report on land use and public access at the next meeting.

 

                    ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Carlo supplied annual Environmental Improvement Report for 2004 and will be presented at the next meeting. Asked that Peter LaRose give a short presentation next meeting on report.

 

Action:      Peter to give a short presentation next meeting on report

 

Robin:        Asked also for copies for community members.

 

Quentin:     Said there was good improvement at Coode Island. In relation to the butadiene proposal (at Terminals Corio facility), the following points were noted:

 

                    Corio site – A Works Approval was issued 17 May, 2005 with regard to the building of a new tank with a certain number of conditions to that approval.

 

                    Expected emission of 100kg of Butadiene per year. The EPA assessed as meeting the maximum level achievable of Class 3 indicator.

 

Deborah:   The 20B conference details were on the EPA website.

 

Robin:        Would like some copies of report for the TGCCC meeting.

 

Faye:          100kg being much smaller than the Altona manufacturing site’s 20,000kg, is that able to be reduced further?

 

Carlo:         After ship discharge wharf line will be full of vapor. This vapor is to be put through combustor.

 

Ian:             Asked if the tank was a sphere.

 

Robin:        Why did EPA let Quenos emit at such a high level?

 

Quentin:     It was higher. Quentin then explained the comparison regarding storing Butadiene and producing Butadiene.

 

Faye:          Is there an overall absolute reduction?

 

Quentin:     There is an absolute reduction.

 

Ian:             Asked about buffer zones around the site.

 

Quentin:     1,080 meters from any sensitive use.

 

Carlo:         The actual sphere is even further away.

 

Ian:             Corio site is outside the ambit of this committee.

 

Carlo:         Gave a brief overview of Butadiene proposal

 

Ian:             Was told by a representative of Dow that 2 new Propylene Oxide tanks were commissioned at Corio, but it was later discovered he meant Coode.

 

Quentin:     Considering a document from Terminals relating to further storage on the West side.

 

Deb:           What is the proposal?

 

Carlo:         Then displayed proposed site plan. Two tanks will be required – semi pressurized. Truck in and ship out. Still working on planning application and will present next meeting.

 

Robin:        Carlo to prepare a short paragraph to explain background and email to Robin.

 

Quentin:     EPA considering whether a works approval is required.

 

 

ITEM 6:      2ND EIP 2005 – 2008 SCHEDULE AND PRESENTATION

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented by Carlo Fasolino – State Manager Victoria

 

Carlo commenced presentation and itemized the following:

 

1.    Combustion System

Š      Lower operating temperatures

Š      Less excess air

Š      Turn off combustors at night

Š      Heat from combustor to generate electricity.

 

Robin:        3.1.14 Environment Improvement Plan needs page numbers – Carlo to        arrange.


 

Carlo then continued presentation:

 

2.    Emergency Lighting

Š      Lighting survey

Š      Implementation

 

Faye:          Asked if there was any application for solar lighting being located on the top of       the tanks?

 

Carlo:         Said there was a possibility but something we haven’t looked into.

 

Carlo then continued presentation:

 

3.    Ground Water Monitoring

Š      Bore hole locations

Š      Recovery trench locations

Š      Recovery trench

Š      Air sparging

Š      Ground water protection measures

 

Robin:        Committee happy for Terminals to go ahead and finalized the Environmental          Improvement Plan No. 2 with EPA.

 

 

ITEM 7:      CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 3RD FEBRUARY, 2005

 

Accepted.

 

 

ITEM 8:      OTHER BUSINESS

 

Newsletter

 

Theo:          From results of community consultation suggested a Newsletter every so many months would be beneficial. Terminals should add a commitment in the EIP to do this.

 

Carlo:         Asked Theo to email him a copy of suggested wording for EIP commitment and Terminals will look into the issue.

 

Robin:        Handed out copies of “WSN Environmental Solutions Quarterly Information on Waste Management for Your Community” newsletter for consideration.

 

 

New committee member nomination

 

Deborah:   Introduced Mayada Dib who is a solicitor and is very enthusiastic and thorough and suggested nomination as a committee member.

 

Mayada:    Gave a brief introduction of her background which involves science as well as law and would be honored to be part of the committee.

 

Robin:        Would welcome Mayada as a committee member and would be discussed at the next meeting.

 

Ian:             Made mention of a paper he has been formulating based on Tunnel Safety which has been approved and will be presented in Hobart.

 

 

Date for Committee Site Inspection

 

Site inspection set for 4.30 pm 4 August, 2005

 

 

Better integration of CICCC and MCG

 

Robin:        Over a year ago at the request of this committee there was a paper presented to Marstel to move towards amalgamation of the two groups. Does this committee want to continue with this idea.

 

Theo:          Felt we were interested in amalgamation.

 

Robin:        This gives added impetus for us to approach Marstel Consultative Group again with our previous “Committee Options Paper”.

 

Theo:          Advised that Marstel meetings are quarterly.

 

Deborah:   Concerned as Marstel seemed more authoritarian.

 

Robin:        That is up to both groups to work together.

 

Theo:          There are common denominators and would benefit both parties.

 

Ian:             Clearly an issue about how it should happen. Concept is sound about working together.

 

Action:      It was agreed that Robin would wait several weeks for any further Committee input, and then write to the Marstel Committee seeking comment on our previous Options Paper.

 

 

Report on new contaminated groundwater plume

 

Quentin:     Plume discovered at site. Very old plume showing degrading characteristics. From the location of plume conclusion could be drawn that it is not anything to do with Terminals but possibly it emanates from the Pacific Terminals site. The likely outcome would be that EPA going into discussion with Pacific Terminals and Melbourne Ports. Main risk to environment is the contamination of the Maribyrnong River.

 

Robin:        To include in Media Release – will okay the content with EPA prior to issue. Report that plume now nothing to do with Terminals.

 

Quentin:     Plume sits in pipe corridor

 

Faye:          If there was a disturbance of the soil what affect would it have on the river?

 

Quentin:     Signs indicate it has been there for the past 15 years.

 

Carlo:         Below ground water level there is evidence of slow movement.

 

Quentin:     EPA to make assessment of risk involved.

 

Robin:        Quentin to update committee on matter. Then thanked Quentin.

 

Ian:             An initiative is needed within EPA to reduce disposal of drums which contain residue. Deal with in other ways than to dump in the ground.

 

                    Ian presented a copy of a video on Safe Syringe Disposal which he found particularly interesting and urged other committee members to watch.

 

Improvement Action Report

 

Carlo:         Asked Quentin if Terminals could now close off. Would like to have all items that have been approved deleted and new items added.

 

Quentin:     Agreed

 

ACTION:   Carlo to amalgamate outstanding items from initial Improvement Action Report into a new Improvement Action Report containing all the items from the Second EIP, and email to Robin for posting to the web site.

 

 

 

NEXT MEETING:     6:30 pm THURSDAY 4th August, 2005. A site visit at 4.30pm followed by meeting at Maribyrnong Town Hall at 6.30 pm.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9:45 pm