COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 13th October, 2005

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Maree Lang (in place of Margaret Donnan)

PACIA

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Colleen Hartland

City of Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Geoff Cooke

WorkSafe

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Peter Rienks

Director of Hazard Management, WorkSafe

Paul Hayward

Engineering Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Extended a special welcome to Pieter Rienks from WorkSafe and Bruce       Mildenhall MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier.

 

                    APOLOGIES

 

                    Theo Pykoulas, Carlo Fasolino, Peter LaRose, Margaret Donnan

   

                    CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 2.      INTRODUCTION TO COMMITTEE OF PIETER RIENKS

 

Robin:        Invited Pieter Rienks to give a brief overview of his career to date and his role         at WorkSafe.

 

Pieter         Joined Major Hazards unit in 2000, formerly with Ansett Airlines Duties whilst         at Ansett Airlines were safety orientated. Forming partnerships with Unions,        Industry and Community. Foresees 2006 as a big year with the 2nd round of            MHF license renewals due. Explained how he felt WorkSafe fulfilled a      regulatory role over the industries concerned.

                   There are 90 people in the Hazard Division of WorkCover: which covers       licensing, (including tankers, pyrotechnics and displays), technical and the          Major Hazards Unit. Pieter is concerned with outcomes, not just process.

 

Robin:        Then threw over to those present to ask questions. Asked Pieter about the Safety Cases and how in PieterŐs view has the safety regime improved the           safety standards.

 

Pieter:       

á               Over many years modifications to the standards have taken place

á               A systems approach of examining the linkages between hazards, incidents and impacts, with the review of control systems to reduce incidents, had been un-linked in the operations of a number of large companies, and new safety management systems were needed.

á               Industries did not have safety arrangements in place at the start and now they have.

á               WorkSafe are looking at how to strengthen the small employer

á               Series of controls put in place

á               Critical controls in place

 

George:     Terminals have just been through a large comprehensive audit. What more is        envisaged to have companies gear up for round 2.

 

Pieter:        In some cases the methodology was wrong in round 1 and it hasnŐt worked.           Up to 50% more required for Round 2 to enable companies to gear up for 2nd      round. Unless the Safety Case regimes are maintained the safety value    deteriorates.

 

Faye:          What about the smaller contractors who are self employed who are handling           hazardous materials?

 

Pieter:        The main employer would ensure they work under their WorkSafe regulations        by providing adequate inductions, ensuring they wear protective clothing etc.

 

Faye:          What about the quality and safety of the tanker if an owner driver.

 

Pieter:        Driver, vehicle and tanker are all licensed, all monitored with incident reports.        Also monitoring peoples driving records. The transport industry very strong on   product stewardship. Licenses are renewed every 3 years.

 

Robin:        Thanked Pieter for attending meeting.

 

 

ITEM 3:      DRAFT PORT ENVIRONS PLAN

 

Robin:        Introduced Bruce Mildenhall MP and asked him to speak on the Port of         Melbourne Environs Plan.

 

Bruce:        Thanked Robin for the opportunity. Spoke of his attendance at Terminals    earlier in the day and his role in the scheme of things. The development proposal at 99 Moreland Street, Footscray and the planning controls that     should apply to the areas surrounding the Port of Melbourne led him to believe the solution was by stake holder participation. Give a stake holder forum a try    to see if we could find a future for the surrounding area. Premier proposed to      assist in a consultative version of the Port Environs Plan.

 

                    Terms of Reference were then circulated.

 

                    Significant progress has been made to date with the core ground of the forum         consisting of Municipalities, State Agencies, Port of Melbourne and Freight &      Logistics Council.

 

                    There have been 2 meetings so far to confirm Terms of Reference. Bruce then       explained the works program.

 

                    Threshold issues – how to ensure total alignment between town planning the         strategic uses of the port. Looking at Coode Island with regard to hazards                     perspective and consulting with WorkSafe.

 

                    WorkSafe reported back that it was time to consider refined methodology of             the impact of Coode Island. A more sophisticated analysis was determined         with regard to vapours, noise etc as well as injuries and deaths.

 

                    The Port of Melbourne container movements were looked at with a projected          increase from 2 million to 5.5–8 million per year and the impact that will have      on the surrounding area.

 

Michael:     Container movement of 5.5 million per annum was quite disturbing. Split     between road and rail with 30% going by rail is this likely to be increased

 

Bruce:        Stated he was not happy with the target as 30% by rail is not a good figure, leaving as it does 70 on the roads. Currently working on a set of more      aggressive policy propositions to facilitate a change to ratios.

 

Michael:     Concerned about not only the trucks but increased freight train noise impacting      on a different group of people.

 

Bruce:        Far more manageable set of issues than VicRoads saturation use of the West         Gate bridge. Future difficulty in finding an alternative road to use.

 

Michael:     Asked if government was looking into reinstating the rail to Webb Dock.

 

Bruce:        That option was being investigated, it is back on the agenda.

 

Deborah:   Is there a chance in the long term of moving Coode Island, is there a chance of       this option being reinstated on the government long term agenda?

 

Bruce:        There is no viable alternative location. Now long term decisions have been             made on long term lease and money, the threshold decisions have been             made.

 

George:     The chemical industry at Coode Island would account for 60-70 trucks a week        whereas P & O Ports account for 2,000 – 3,000 a week.

 

Colleen:     Council has been prevented from redeveloping any land close to Coode Island.

 

Robin:        Picked up on GeorgeŐs point regarding trucks. Puts into context a small        number against a large number as P & O acquire more land they would    eventually store more containers.

 

Quentin:     Prediction is not a soaring growth in transportation of chemicals. Further       general discussion that chemical storage may even decline.

 

Colleen:     Council sees container transportation as a major problem which is not being           addressed.

 

Bruce:        Assured the problem was being addressed. The main problem was in how do       you link up the transport routes with the container destinations.

 

Colleen:     Then mentioned transit cities.

 

Deborah:   Asked what a transit city was.

 

Bruce:        Then spoke about transit cities with regard moving major storage facilities well       away from the port (using rail), allowing redevelopment and revitalizing of            whole precincts. 3 precincts for development as distribution points are

 

                    1. Dandenong, 2. Altona       3 Somerton

 

                    The cartage rates were very competitive between cities for rail transportation           which ought to raise target from 30% upwards.

 

Robin:        Mentioned an email he received from Bruce advising the forum would be     looking for community representation. Robin felt we should write to the City of    Maribyrnong asking that a member of the CICCC be one of the       representatives.

 

Ian:             Felt that more than 1 representative would be required.

 

Michael:     Up to council to make the call.

 

Ian:             Not appropriate for council to be arbitrator on who is put forward.

 

Robin:        Council is to nominate 3 community representatives. Will copy Bruce into our         letter.

 

Bruce:        From his point of view up to council. In essence it will be a steering committee.

 

Ian:             Made three points for consideration:

 

1.                   Big freight diesel trains at night the noise they generate is phenomenal

2.                   Has witnessed a gradual reduction for the need of chemical industry. We should support our own chemical industries.

3.                   Risk contours – questions of noise, amenities as against death etc.

 

Bruce:        Nature of methodology changing. Fairly optimistic about longer trains.

 

Michael:     Ever changing designs in trains should result in the noise issue being           addressed.

 

Robin:        Thanked Bruce on behalf of the committee.

 

Bruce:        Happy to come back with a progress report.

 

Maree and Colleen departed the meeting along with Bruce.

 

 

ITEM 4:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES

 

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented by Paul Hayward

 

Paul:           Then presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

                    Demolition and remediation to exceed $7 million.

                    Plant C close to being finished.

 

George:     Explained VCAT lasted for 15 days – Geelong Butadienne – outcome approval to build, council have now issued a planning permit.

 

                    Told committee about Huntsman in USA putting their Melbourne plant on the market.

 

Robin:        What are implications for Marstel?

 

George:     Did not know.

 

 

                    ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     EPA has project going regarding arsenic in Maribyrnong river. Subsequent to that a great deal of water sampling and fish studies being conducted. An audit is being undertaken South of Somerville Road down towards West Gate Bridge and Yarra. There is a lot of historical industrial use in that particular part of the river bank. Have engaged an auditor over the next 6 months to test the river.

 

                    Clean up notices will be issued to those found responsible or it may be a combined affect of all the industries around area. Yet to be determined.

 

Ian:             Geology of part of Melbourne contains a high level of arsenic naturally.

 

Quentin:     ThatŐs the idea of the audit to look at that bit of the river in its totality. Potential remediation could be extensive. There is information on the website regarding the project. Michael, Colleen and Andrew Clifton sitting on reference committee.

 

Michael:     Asked Quentin to explain process of analyzing chemicals in river or land. Who bears the cost of testing or remediation.

 

Quentin:     Land owners irrespective of when contamination occurred.

 

                    WORKSAFE

                    Presented by Geoff Cooke – Safety Case Officer for Terminals – Major Hazard Site.

 

George:     WorkSafe holding a community consultation.

 

Pieter:        Big promotion WorkSafe Week. Analysis of what is working and what is not.

 

Geoff:         Spoke of the annual inspection of Terminals Pty Ltd

1.                   Safety Case

2.                   Tank Control Measures

3.                   Questions and indications of implementation

4.                   Maintenance inspection check sheets

5.                   Training

 

Will report back to the committee and suggested doing a joint comparison between Marstel and Terminals.

 

Robin:        Asked Geoff to negotiate with Marstels and Terminals to get their agreement to       a joint presentation and asked Geoff to report back to this     committee.

 

Geoff:         No major issues identified during audit at Terminals Pty Ltd, just a matter of getting systems together and improving. Will submit presentation in due course. Presentation should last no longer then ½ hour.

 

ACTION     Geoff Cooke to present (joint) report on WorkSafe Annual Inspection at future CICCC meeting (with Marstel Committee members invited to attend if a joint presentation is agreed by the operators).

 

 

ITEM 5:      CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 19 MAY 2005

 

                    Draft minutes accepted with GeoffŐs comments. Minutes adopted.

 

ITEM 6:      ACTION ITEMS FROM MAY MEETING

 

2nd EIP

 

George:     Community Newsletter not a problem but worried people will throw it away along with all other advertising material. Adds in local paper to look up website for more information would be a better option.

 

Robin:        The text of any newsletter is telling a story. How it gets best communicated is another part of strategy. Terminals should undertake a commitment to offer some communication with community.

 

George:     One thing is that Terminals no longer has any big volume of nasties that could blow up community.

 

Michael:     Marstel distributed Newsletter.

 

Deborah:   Put leaflet in local newspapers for distribution.

 

George:     What content do we have in mind.

 

Ian:             Felt it should be committee publication not a Terminals publication.

 

George:     Interesting with judgment of VCAT on EPA designs they did have consultation with community.

 

Robin:        Does not worry him one way or another. Felt the need to convey to the community the past compared to present.

 

Ian:             First draft should be written by Robin and Carlo in the same way as press releases.

 

George:     Terminals use Clifton Consulting and does not mind getting them on the case to come up with a few suggestions.

 

Robin:        Did not feel Clifton Consulting were the ones to take on the task with respect to CICCC views.

 

Faye:          Primary attention in the eastern suburbs to Terminals (Coode Island) were 2 events. One being the container lock out and two being the Coode Island fire and suggested a television advertisement.

 

                    Thought the establishment of a Science Prize in the local school for a child would be appropriate.

 

George:     Felt the Science Prize was a good idea.

 

                    Wanted to know if there was some way we could get the message across that this industry is vital.

 

Quentin:     Whitehall Street Committee has a newsletter. Perhaps have an edition which includes this committee or what happens at Terminals. Piggyback on that publication. Sharing opportunity which should lessen the cost.

 

Robin:        How do we get hold of a copy?

 

George:     When Terminals held an Open Day only a few people attended.

 

                    Focus on some literature regarding Open Day and advertise. What Terminals was like in the past and look at it now type of advertising.

 

Robin:        Suggested another Open Day when plant is finished would be good. Some literature prepared that can be used in several different ways.

 

Faye:          Explore a community Science Prize, annual, on going.

 

Robin:        Announce Community Science winner in leaflet. All in general agreement.

 

Robin:        Produce a draft and run past committee. Focal point where people could get interested.

 

Michael:     Have the 2 committees (MCG and CICCC) produce a joint newsletter and have joint open days.

 

Robin:        It seems the Committee is moving to a view that there will be a multi pronged approach initiative in the form of a newsletter that will announce a Student Prize.

 

George:     Terminals previously issued a Science Kit. Geoff Millard put together the Science Kit last time will ask him for his input again.

 

ACTION     Terminals to prepare a first draft of material for distribution to the community, and further refinement of the ŇScience PrizeÓ initiative.

 

 

Better integration of CICCC and MCG

 

Robin:        Theo has suggested November 23rd – no objection.

 

                    Sought and received an invitation to attend Marstel site. Robin attended and reported that Marstel site is all new and clean. Passed on Andrew CliftonŐs query as to whether Terminals has used the same criteria for bund design as has been used at the Marstel facility (100% of the largest tank +10% of the second largest tank + 90 minutes of fire-fighting water + 150mm freeboard. Could we have a response at our next meeting.

 

George:     Agreed

 

Robin:        If any other committee members wanted to have a look around the Marstel site Tim Gunning would be happy to have them tour the site.

 

George:     Robin to send an email on behalf of committee to thank Tim for his offer.

 

ACTION     Robin to send an email to Tim Gunning thanking him for the opportunity afforded to CICCC members to inspect the Marstel facility.

 

 

Transport Routes for Pygas

 

Geoff:         WorkSafe has discussed the proposed route with the road tanker operator and       can confirm that the operator will use the Bolte Bridge route.

 

Robin:        Thanked Geoff for pursing the road tanker operator.

 

 

Confirmation of 2006 Meeting Dates

 

Dates look good

 

 

Carcinogenic Licence

 

ACTION     Terminals will present details of the Carcinogenic Licence at the December meeting.

 


 

ITEM 7:      OTHER BUSINESS

 

None

 

 

ITEM 8:      NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS

 

NEXT MEETING:     8th December, 205 Christmas Catering to be organised

 

                                    Suggested meeting dates for 2006 – 16th February, 13th April, 15th                                June, 10 August, 12 October, 14th December 2006.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 10:00 pm