COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 16th February, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

 

Faye Simpson

Community Member

 

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

 

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance.

                    Apologies Peter La Rose

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 8TH DECEMBER, 2005

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 8th December, 2005 confirmed.

 

 

ITEM 4:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Carlo Fasolino

 

Carlo:         Then presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

George:     Gave details of events that have occurred over the Christmas/New Year period.

 

§       Demolition and remediation now completed, land handed over to Port of Melbourne Corporation.

 

§       Environmental audit is still to be lodged, have until 3rd June, 2006 to do so.

 

§       Pygas tanks are now ready, expected first shipment March 2006.

 

§       Customer audits have been carried out.

 

§       Thank you to Robin regarding letter written on behalf of CICCC to the Port of Melbourne Corporation expressing concern over lessening width of the road. Together with concerns raised by other tenants, the letter seems to have slowed Port of Melbourne Corporation down as they have now agreed to conduct a further risk assessment of their proposal.

 

§       P & O now happy about the reduction in land space. Would like all land to the river bank if they had their way.

 

§       The incident in the report presented by Carlo regarding the combustor, was caused by a glitch in software and the truck loading was halted until the problem was rectified.

 

Faye:          Questioned George as to Terminals maintenance schedules and whether    consideration of a computerized maintenance program would be more reliable.

 

George:     Have looked at computerized systems in the past and have opted to continue with maintenance planners on the wall as they have been reliable but the prospect of computerized systems that would also provide information regarding where funds are being spent would be beneficial. Computer literacy of personnel would need to be improved.

 

Ian:             Is the routine maintenance carried out by internal resources or external?

 

George:     Terminals use external contractors to conduct any maintenance. Using own operators would be difficult as they are busy enough loading trucks and unloading ships without maintenance duties as well. Most routine maintenance conducted by contractors.

 

Ian:             Attended a meeting of the Maintenance Engineering Society which he is a member. At the meeting a demonstration of a computerized management system was given – CCMS. Should George wish to attend the next meeting is 15th March, 2006.

 

George:     The maintenance manual is due for a major update which will coincide with the MHF licence renewal. Some alterations and rewording are required.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Terminals to review and update the maintenance manual. This action to be included in the Improvement Action Report (IAR).

 


 

Carlo:         Discussed an incident where a road tanker came onto the site with some remaining product still in a compartment from previous delivery. The tanker would have been overfilled if not for the overfill protection system working and therefore alleviating a spill and an environmental incident.

 

Deborah:   Is there not a danger of cross contamination causing an unpleasant outcome?

 

George:     Customer has products stored at site that would not cause a violent reaction if they are cross contaminated. Explained the customer and carrier are responsible for switch load compatibility. A cleanliness certificate is shown by the road tanker driver if product not compatible.

 

                    Static in the product is the main potential cause of ignition of product vapours, and to minimize any risk initial filling flow rates are carefully controlled.

 

Ian:             Would like to view switch loading list that is also provided for shipping purposes.

 

George:     When we are preparing a tank the customer wants to know what was in the tank prior to storing their product.

 

Carlo:         Incident where drain hose on pig trap split while pigging line. Initial investigation proved the interceptor caused problem. The hose at the exchange pit was replaced.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Investigation to be reported to the committee

 

 

                    ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Record prosecution achieved by EPA due to pollution on Phillip Island from a ship. Taken a year to get prosecution to completion, wildlife affected, residue washed up on beach.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Media release to be provided by Quentin.

 

Faye:          If ship was poorly maintained can that ship be prevented from entering our waters again?

 

Quentin:     A.M.S.A. is responsible for ships being suitable for the purpose for which they are being utilized.

 

                    Issues common as ships leaving Australian waters are only required to go out a certain distance before they are allowed to deposit water washings into the ocean.

 

Carlo:         A.M.S.A. have regulations for disposing of washings.

 

Theo:          Alternative Penalty Scheme initiated by EPA benefits the community that was affected by the incident.

 

Quentin:     Visited the Melbourne site, witnessed improvements and was impressed with Plant C.

 

                    First clay impermeable liner to be installed at Plant C similar to standards set by Marstels

 

                    Looked at the Pygas facilities, truck fill, etc

 

Carlo:         Clay liner was put in about 6 months ago. Clay liners are to be put in all bunds before the end of the year.

 

George:     Geotextile clay liners are clay sandwiched between Hessian. They are placed 200 ml under the ground so that the clay is kept damp. Not sure how long it lasts. Depends on whether the clay is kept damp.

                   

Carlo:         Gravel and sand will be used to form a cover over the clay liner.

 

Quentin:     Practical tests are being conducted on reducing combustor temperature.

 

Carlo:         Combustors are presently running too hot therefore using too much gas. Carlo then explained the workings of the combustor and the extent of the trials being conducted. Combustor presently running at 890oC destroying practically 100% of the emissions. A reduced temperature at 750oC did not reduce the effectiveness of the combustor, therefore a further trial at 650oC is to be conducted. Savings to natural gas usage is anticipated which in turn will result in reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

 

George:     Not going to do anything that allows odours to leave site.

 

Michael:     How does the EPA quantify expending so much energy in natural gas to destroy the maximum possible emissions?

 

Quentin:     The test of practicability includes the trade off between natural gas usage and emissions.

 

                    Next week there will be a meeting of the Lower Maribyrnong Reference Group on the 23rd February, 2006, where Michael is a community representative.

 

Robin:        Could Michael report back to the committee?

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Michael to report back to the CICCC on the Lower Maribyrnong Reference Group meeting at the April CICCC meeting.

 

Robin         Stake Holder Group meeting on the 22nd February, 2006. CICCC invited to the Stake Holding Group meeting. Ian and Deborah will represent the CICCC.

 

Quentin:     East side at Terminals now gone. On going process, EPA to receive audit “CUTEP” (Clean Up To The Extent Practicable) endorsing that clean up has been achieved.

 

George:     25,500 cubic metres of soil removed. George explained how the contamination was determined. $9.5 million to remediate. All reports are just about finished hopefully CUTEP application late March 2006.

 

Quentin:     Plan for remediating site under Pacific Terminals. Hot spot of contamination is on the edge of property facing the river.

 

                    Amending the licence for Terminals in light of different products stored within the next month or so.

 

City of Maribyrnong

                   

Theo:          No development to report.

 

Work Safe

 

                    Deferred till next meeting – not in attendance

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION ITEMS FROM DECEMBER MEETING

 

2nd EIP – COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMMUNITY

 

Carlo:         Presented a discussion paper with ideas and comments.

 

Deborah:   Level of community interest is low.

 

George:     The issue he feels is that Terminals want newsletter to be affective.

 

Michael:     Undertook a Marstel letter drop and in the process asked a few people if they were interested and if they actually read the pamphlet and only a few were interested.

 

George:     Do not want to raise anxiety levels within the community. Discussion on content important.

 

Deborah:   Spoke to Kensington Association about having the CICCC minutes sent to their members. There was not enough interest in Coode Island for Deborah’s suggestion to be adopted.

 

George:     Offer to send them a newsletter.

 

Deborah:   About 1,000 members so an easy way of distributing.

 

George:     Newsletter more agreeable than minutes. Need to go away and read and critique and come back next meeting and get down to business and get it out.

 

Robin:        Need to obtain some professional help in editing the text of the newsletter, while being careful that the tone and content of the message is not changed.

 

Ian:             The discussion paper to be sent out via email to others on committee.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: George to circulate the draft by email.

 


 

Science Award

 

Carlo:         Presented discussion paper.

 

George:     Again have a look at discussion paper and make comments next meeting.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Take away and comment on the Science Award framework at next meeting.

 

 

BETTER INTEGRATION OF CICCC AND MCG

 

Theo:         

 

Ian:             Excellent outcome. We should thank Theo for chairing meeting.

 

Theo:          Initially bi-annual meeting with possible extra meeting to discuss planning, contamination of the Maribyrnong, etc. The EPA report on the contamination would be interesting to raise at the meeting.

 

                    Truck groups and traffic management to be represented.

 

Ian:             Felt the chair should be a senior member of council.

 

Deborah:   Is it possible for Council to get some sort of grant to fund the forums?

 

George:     Who has the issues. CICCC to come up with a list of issues we would like raised at the meeting.

 

 

George:     What about the other users what are they required to do regarding Safety and Environmental Standards. Ports fire systems on berth have been upgraded, we do not know to what standards they operate to.

 

Deborah:   Need to ask why other hazardous sites are not regulated like Terminals and Marstels.

 

George:     Terminals and Marstel feel they are being singled out with regards to regulations.. Port of Melbourne Corporation vehicle by which Terminals are under the microscope from EPA with high environmental standards

 

Quentin:     Comes down to equal risk factors – environmental, safety. Expectations are of the same criteria as Terminals or Marsel. Some sites store non hazardous. Not every industry in the state are on the schedule so therefore do not come under EPA scrutiny.


 

Robin:        Compiled a list:

 

Š      Port of Melbourne Corporation port planning

Š      Port of Melbourne Corporation Security

Š      Water front usage

Š      Land transport

Š      Safety and Environmental standards – shipping

Š      Reintegration of the Channels and Port Authority

Š      Emergency communication with residents using the telephone system

Š      Communication from POMCorporation

Š      Applying Safety and Environmental standards to all tenants at Coode Island

 

Ian:             Did Theo get a list from Marstels meeting?

 

Theo:          Did not get a list but will ask Cheryl.

 

Robin:        Vote of thanks to Theo for chairing the meeting.

 

 

WORK SAFE – PRESENTATION BY GEOFF COOKE ON ANNUAL INSPECTION

 

                    Deferred until next meeting.

 

 

REVIEW OF 2ND IAR AND EPA & WORKSAFE SIGN OFF

 

Robin:        Longed for item of informing the community to be included in the Improvement Action Report.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Carlo to add item to IAR, complete regulators sign-off, and send completed up-date to Robin for posting to web site.

 

 

 

LETTER TO PORT OF MELBOURNE CORPORATION RE MACKENZIE ROAD PROPOSED NARROWING.

 

Robin/George:         Letter to Port of Melbourne Corporation and their response dated 12 January 2006 which, along with other tenants’ comments, has motivated the POMC to conduct a workshop and hire a consultant to do a risk assessment.


 

 

ITEM 5:      EMERGENCY COMMUNICATION (REPORT FROM THEO)

 

Robin:        Have the council got the funds to implement the full automatic telephone system for emergency communication with residents?

 

Theo:          Awaiting the evaluation report and will keep CICCC updated.

 

                    Encouraged everyone to write letter and try and maintain momentum.

 

                    ACTION ITEM: Robin to send a letter after the issue of the   trial evaluation report and ask when funds are to be committed to implement the complete system.

 

 

ITEM 6:      OTHER BUSINESS

 

                    No other business.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING:   13TH APRIL, 2006

Meeting dates for 2006 – 15th June, 10 August, 12 October, 14th December 2006.

 

t

MEETING CLOSED: 9:40 pm