COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 15th June, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

Bro Sheffield Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance.

                    Apologies Theo Pykoulas, Margaret Donnan, Carlo Fasolino, Geoff Cooke

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th April, 2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 13 April, 2006 confirmed.

 

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Reported that he had visited Terminals site during the week. Inspected a few items as Plant C nearing final stage. Tanks painted which made for a much more pleasing aspect than Plant B. Comments were recorded on Improvement Action Plan.

 

                    Explained that EPA involvement with the Corio site had begun with regards to the proposed Bitumen and Bio Diesel projects. This involvement may require him to attend the Geelong Community meeting.

 


 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by George Horman & Peter La Rose

 

 

George:     Terminals wish to install a new weighbridge capable of handling B-Doubles, as a service to customers. Trucks currently weigh at the fruit market and when multi loading, additional trips are necessary. The preferred site is in the median strip in the centre of MacKenzie Road, but the Port of Melbourne Corporation presently oppose this location. The PoMC wish to preserve the option of narrowing MacKenzie Road, to allow for the expansion of container storage for P&O Ports.

 

Peter:         Weighbridge could be put on Terminals land at Plant C, an option that will be          put to Melbourne Port Corporation.

 

George:     Sale of company finalized March. New owners have approved the continuing upgrading of the plant, which had been halted. The $1.8 million upgrade program is now proceeding.

 

                    George then referred to Quentin mentioning the Geelong Bitumen proposal. Agreement has been reached with the client, Sourcing Solutions, to provide 14,000 cubic metres of storage for bitumen import. The proposal is presently at the approval stage. Currently Terminals are testing Bitumen with regard to EPA and community concerns about odours. Terminals are working with EPA on that matter. The storage temperature of Bitumen is quite high, 150 degrees to 190 degrees. The bitumen comes off the ship at 160 degrees, is stored at 100 degrees, and is heated to 180 degrees to load it into road tankers. Safety problem is the heat and tendency of the bitumen to clog up things.

 

Michael:     Asked George if Terminals intended to store Bitumen at Coode?

 

George:     Not in the near future.

 

Ian:             Asked George if Terminals would have a vapour recovery system to control             odours on Bitumen.

 

George:     Odour control is currently in the planning stage and indications are that odours       will be sent to the combustor.

                    The butadiene sphere being installed at the Geelong facility is now in its final position and will have a combustion system attached to control emissions.

 

Faye:          Asked if a breakdown of fugitive emissions from bitumen had been carried out.

 

George:     Samples have been analysed.

 

                    Action: Next meeting Terminals will provide a presentation on emission analysis results.

 

George:     The Axiom Energy Bio Diesel proposal at Geelong is in its early days. Expressed the opinion that the bio diesel fuel is only prolonging the agony of the fuel situation rather than solving problem.

 

Bro:             Shared his observations. Whilst on a trip to Malaysia during his flight over the country noticed large amounts of clearing and most of “forested” area is already established Palm Oil trees.

 

Deborah:   Asked if George knew where the Styrene leak was on the weekend. It was reported in the newspapers that 3 people were taken to hospital over the Queens Birthday weekend.

 

Peter:         The leak was on the wharf, looked like it might have been Patricks, at Swanston Dock. Asked Quentin if he know any more about the leak.

 

Quentin:     Not aware of incident. Will make enquiries and advise at the next meeting.

 

                    Action: Information to be provided at the next meeting.

 

Robin:        Will also ask Geoff Cooke if he knew anything about incident as WorkSafe   would be involved with people being taken to hospital. Raises the issue of          people bringing in chemicals in containers even though the volume is small.

 

Quentin:     Not really an issue to the POMC as the chemicals are not stored.

 

Deborah:   Not regarded as a Major Hazard Facility as only about 2% chemicals brought         through the port in containers.

 

Michael:     Referred meeting back to Bio Diesel and asked if anything was known about          the process of converting plastics into Bio Diesel.

 

George:     Converting plastics into bio diesel didn’t fit into the category that would be granted excise free status by the government.

 

Ian:             Informed the meeting of a symposium being run by the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI) with the theme “Energy Sources Old and New”. There will be a session on bio-fuels, with one speaker being Mr David Vincent from Safer Energy.

 

Peter:         One of the biggest problems facing Bio Diesel is people manufacturing the product at home, with home production being illegal and dangerous.

 

Quentin:     EPA prosecuted a company over Bio Diesel production emissions.

 

Peter:         Then presented Terminals Pty Ltd report.

 

                    The PyeGas export has not yet commenced, and the first shipment (a small trial load of 1300 tonnes of over-specification product being sent to China) is expected to be loaded on 26 June.

 

                    Discussion then took place on the Improvement Notice raised by WorkSafe in relation to non flameproof pump in truckfill area used without permit.

 

                    Peter then advised that the pump is not a permanent fixture and was used as a temporary measure. Pump was a mono pump used for pumping glycerine and used to pump the molasses stored on site. It was an electrically powered pump, but not a flame proof pump, and was being used in an area Zone 2 hazardous.

 

Robin:        Will hear more when investigation completed.

 

Peter:         WorkSafe asked if operators were aware that the pump was only to be used when trucks were not under gantry. The required paperwork was not completed, procedures were not followed with regard to permit and work instruction.

 

Peter:         Sewer going ahead at site with sewerage contractor boring 2 1/2 meters down.

 

Faye:          Asked if this goes below the water table.

 

Peter:         Yes

 

George:     Next meeting will present Terminals intention to replace its security system. Feel a security guard is no longer necessary as there is a security guard in the gate house at the entry to MacKenzie Road. Terminals looking at installing cameras.

 

                    Action: Terminals to present details of the proposed security system at the next meeting.

 

Robin:        Asked if the option of having weighbridge at Plant C is more expensive to Terminals.

 

George:     Peter prefers Plant C option, costing up and designed. The land being considered is not being used for tank storage and is part of a roadway between Pacific Terminals and Terminals. Positioning of the weighbridge on this particular piece of land would improve access and be compatible with other road users. The weighbridge is more of a customer service than revenue raiser.

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION ITEMS:

 

IMPROVEMENT ACTION REPORT & EPA / WORKSAFE SIGN OFF

 

                    Discussion took place on the IAR and items signed off in the report. A number of suggested changes were discussed, the wording of the sign-off was discussed, and it was agreed the Robin would further consult with Quentin. Following agreement on the wording, the IAR (marked as June 2006 version) would be put on the web site.

 

                    It was agreed that the report to the EPA could be used as input to the Annual Report to the Community. While the EIP (and IAR) state that the 2003 Report be commenced, it was agreed that a 2005 report was now more sensible. Terminals prepare a draft of the Annual Report to the Community.

 

                    Action: Separate item for next meeting. Annual report to the Community.

 

Deborah:   Said it would only be to Terminals advantage providing a small report on everything that has been done to the site.

 

Faye:          Asked if WorkSafe get a similar report or any other agency. Agreed the EPA report should be expanded for the community.

 

Bro:             Does CICCC have a requirement to report to the community?

 

Robin:        The proposed Newsletter would have a report from the CICCC incorporated.

 

Ian:             Support Bro agree to consider how we communicate with the community at large.

 

                    There was further discussion on a number of aspects of the Improvement Action Report.

Peter:         With regard to the section on Emergency Lighting he will clarify exact wording for next meeting.

 

                    Action: Exact wording for Emergency Lighting status to be clarified.

 

George:     Explained regarding the remediation the CUTEP was submitted by required time. EPA now examining report by auditor. Nothing Terminals can do just have to wait.

 

Ian:             Asked Quentin to comment on report by auditor.

 

Quentin:     Not in his jurisdiction. Explained the process usually requires a month or two to deliberate, not the only site under review, a lot of issues happening with regard to clean up of sites.

 

Deborah:   Would like every box filled in with some comment. Indicate that we have reviewed it.

 

Robin:        Status to be made more specific in each case. Status column is the column to get right first before the regulatory sign off.

 

                    Action: Terminals to update status column prior to next meeting. Provide report via email a week prior to meeting for review.

 

George:     There is a story behind all action items so therefore more details can be added.

 

Robin:        More work to be done by Terminals on the status. More updates to be noted in regulatory sign. Off. Get up on website as it is at present then next meeting put on website with updates included.

 

Ian:             Quite a few grammatical references things like VECS and CUTEP to be spelled out.

 

Michael:     Consider a glossary.

 

George:     Will have Paul produce new drainage system Plant B drawings at next meeting.

 

                    Action: Paul to present new drainage system Plant B drawings at next meeting.

 

COMMUNITY NEWSLETTER

 

Ian:             Felt it should be a committee newsletter

 

Deborah:   Needs someone to coordinate

 

George:     No one is coordinating at the moment.

 

Robin:        Previously George was very doubtful about delivery of Newsletter. It was agreed to collate all text input. First step is getting newsletter together, presenting on website and via a hand out at council offices, libraries, etc.

 

Bro:             Agreed should not be letter boxed.

 

Robin:        Encourage Terminals to participate.

 

George:     Cynical about Terminals circulating newsletter. Sees it as a community        newsletter with a section set aside for Terminals item.

 

Ian:             Need to get newsletter in existence first.

 

Deborah:   Terminals to make a list of the significant improvements made since the Coode Island fires.

 

George:     Hears what Deborah is saying. Feels the last 5 years is the new beginning as far as Terminals concerned when new leases were signed.

 

Ian:             Suggested Robin take over coordinating.

 

Robin:        Agreed to coordinate newsletter

 

                    Action: Robin to coordinate. Community representatives to provide small biography and comments 3 weeks from now (6 July 2006) — just 2 or 3 lines. George and Carlo to complete the input from Terminals. Use Clifton Consulting resources to put into Newsletter format.

 

George:     Feels community consultation is on going. The problem is how to maintain knowledge of Coode Island within the community. Felt we must engage the Port of Melbourne Authority. There is apathy around with people in government that Coode is “fixed”.

 

Ian              Advised that possibly three properties in Footscray opposite Coode Island have been purchased by the Port of Melbourne Corporation. Robin will ask Theo to determine the Maribrynong Council view of such purchases, and the implications for future land use planning.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING:   10 August, 2006

Meeting dates for 2006 – 12th October, 14th December 2006.

 

t

MEETING CLOSED: 9:30 pm