COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 10th August, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Faye Simpson:
Community Rep./Committee

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas:
City of Maribyrnong

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Bro Sheffield Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino
Victorian Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance.

                    Apologies Geoff Cooke, Peter LaRose, Sue Chatterton

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th April, 2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 15 June, 2006 confirmed with minor amendment, as follows:

                   

                    Page 2, 3rd last para “…vapours will be sent to the combustor”, and

                    Page 3, 2nd last para: “Converting plastics into bio diesel didn’t fit into the category that would be granted excise free status by the government.”

.

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Carlo Fasolino and George Horman

 

Carlo          Presented the Operations and Occurrence Report for June/July 2006 (attached). Drew attention to the first shipment of Pygas which was made in July, and which went smoothly. The actual transfer to the ship was quite slow (60 tonnes/hour), as the product was in a temporary tank with a small pump. When the two larger tanks are used, the transfer will be at a higher rate.

                    Reference was made to the new requirements for customers of Terminals Pty Ltd to pay 38 cents per litre excise on hydrocarbons that are capable of being used in fuel. Formerly companies only had to pay the excise if they declared the product as being used in fuels. Now the excise is taken at the storage stage, and the customer can claim it back if they can demonstrate that the product has been used for something other than a fuel.

The last phase of the clean-up of contamination from Terminal’s lease area east of Mackenzie Road (now handed over to P&O Ports for container storage) is in progress. An EPA accredited auditor has submitted a CUTEP (Clean Up To The Extent Practicable) report to EPA. If EPA accepts the report, the auditor will then issue a Statement of Environmental Audit that will permit the intended use of the site and define continuing obligations such as the continuation of groundwater monitoring. George Horman, Terminals Pty Ltd Australian Manager, advised (and EPA confirmed) that the final review by EPA for the CUTEP is imminent. Terminals will still have ongoing responsibility for the site east of Mackenzie Road (now leased by P&O Ports) for monitoring and any further clean-up that the monitoring may show is necessary.

There is a small pocket where some residual chlorinated hydrocarbon contaminants have been identified, just north of where a large old benzene tank was located. It appears that this may be the result of old pipe-cleaning (pigging) operations, causing contamination in the groundwater under the cleaned up area.

 

George      George advised that the original testing of the east side for contamination, undertaken by ERM at a cost of $380,000, assessed the amount of contaminated ground at less than 20% of the site area, down to the water table (a depth of about one and a half metres). In fact the amount of contaminated material removed was almost double that at about 40%, and the final cost was about $9.7 million, of which Burns Philp (a previous owner of Terminals Pty Ltd) was responsible for a contribution of $2.7 million.

                    George also advised that from the beginning it was known that the contamination would never be completely removed, as some contaminants are water soluble.

Quentin      In answer to a question about EPA options, Quentin advised that EPA could either accept that the clean up was satisfactory, or require Terminals to do further clean-up work.

George      In answer to a question by Faye about treatment of the hot-spot of residual chlorinated contaminants, George advised that monitoring would continue, and records of the monitoring would be kept by both Terminals and EPA.

Quentin      In response to a question from Deborah about how long the soil being remediated had been like it was, Quentin advised that it has only been in recent years that EPA has had its present focus on groundwater. George and Carlo added that the contamination issue was brought to light in the 1992 due diligence before the purchase of Plant C by Powell Duffryn, and the later due diligence when Burns Philp offered the facility for sale in 1997.

Carlo          In response to a question about whether the combustor temperature could be lowered below the 750Ż (reported in the April 2006 minutes). Carlo advised that although a further reduction in the operating temperature would use less gas (saving energy, cost and greenhouse gasses), the problem was that carbon monoxide levels would rise due to incomplete combustion. The committee advised that it would like to see CO, SO2, NOx and any other identified emissions from the combustor reported separately in the monthly report in the future. Some advice from Terminals on the relative merits of reducing greenhouse gases versus increasing CO (a toxic gas) was also requested.

 

                    Action: Separate combustor emissions into constituent gases (particularly CO and NOx) in future Monthly reports, and provide advice on the desirable compromise between increased CO and decreased greenhouse gases (by Terminals).

George      Advised that due to unprecedented growth in Terminals business, the Engineering Division of Terminals was being centralized in Melbourne. It is anticipated that additional staff will be sourced in the short term.

Robin         Advised that the Terminals Geelong web site was now operational (www.tgccc.org). Ian evinced some interest in the TGCCC meetings, and Robin will send him an agenda for the October 9th Meeting.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     Stated that his main interest was in the Maribyrnong Audit being undertaken. A 200 page draft report has been prepared by Peter Nadebaum of GHD for EPA. The original concern was leaching of pyretic fill commonly used as bunding along the river (upstream and downstream from Coode Island), with the release of arsenic. It is likely that this is not as big an issue as feared, with the main contamination coming from old industrial sites (e.g those using sheep dips) on the western side of the Maribyrnong River. Any groundwater contamination reaching the river is subject to dilution from tidal flows.

                    Bro asked if heavy metal contamination was really static at Coode Island, and George and Quentin confirmed that to be the case. Groundwater flow rates at Coode Island are of the order of 0.1metre per year, so it would take 100 years to travel 10 metres.

Quentin      Also stated that he was working on the Terminals Geelong issues (approval process for bitumen and bio-diesels).

 


 

CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

Presented by Theo Pykoulas

 

 

Theo:          No new planning developments. Concerning the implementation of the Emergency Communications System after its successful trial, Council is awaiting a further report from the Office of the Emergency Services Commissioner of a trial in the Yarra Ranges (with a focus on bushfires). Theo advised that following that report, it was likely that the government would consider funding in the context of the next budget.

 

ITEM 6       NEWSLETTER

Robin         Robin     Introduced the item, referring to George’s email of 26 July 2006, and his own of 7 August 2006, and his summary of the purpose of the Newsletter (To inform the community about the Terminals Coode Island facility, and the CICCC. The newsletter should succinctly state the role of Terminals Coode Island Facility, and the role of the CICCC. It should highlight the improvements already made to the facility, and those planned. It should highlight the successes of the CICCC, and the need for additional community members.)

 

Ian              Suggested adding to the purpose, after the words “after those planned” the additional words “and areas where work needs to be done”. An example given included things we haven’t been able to achieve yet, such as the Emergency Management Communication System. The suggestion as well received.

 

Deborah    Stated that it is important that we aren’t seen as lackeys of Terminals. The Committee must be seen as an independent group.

Michael      Shared his experience with talking to residents over the last few years. Many have no idea that Coode Island exists, while others are happy with what’s been done.

                    There was some discussion about whether the newsletter needs to talk about “the bad old days”: some thought the focus should be the future, while others thought the “bad old days” provide a benchmark for the improvements that have taken place.

Theo           Stated that the Terminals leaflet at the time of the Safety Case provided useful background information.

 

Ian              Tabled a number of newsletters from other chemical complexes.(e.g Whitehall Street users group).

Faye           Stated that it was important for the newsletter to say how Terminals was mitigating the risk to the community.

Bro              Stated that he endorsed George’s view that the newsletter should focus on an Open Day to be held.

                   

                    Discussion of the Open Day agenda included the provision of Audio/Visual material on things like the 1991 fires and explosion, the upgrading of the west side, jacking up the tanks to inspect and improve the tank bottoms and foundations, transporting and lifting the Eastern Side tanks over to the western side, remediation of the east side.

 

                    Bro offered to meet with George to further discuss the Open Day planning, an offer that was welcomed by George.

George      Suggested that he engage Karen Sherlock of Cliftons (Terminals’ PR Consultants) to talk with members of the committee, and to prepare a draft of the newsletter, using the material already prepared and available.

                    The Committee agreed to this initiative, subject to the draft being further discussed at the next meeting.

                    Action: George to commission a draft of the Newsletter from Cliftons, and circulate the draft by the end of September.

Deborah    Drew attention to the need to communicate with young people, and offered to have her brother and his students put together a newsletter in a way that would engage with the youth.

 

ITEM 5       ANNUAL REPORT TO THE COMMUNITY

Carlo          Projected an overhead of a suggested Table of Contents of the Annual Report to the Community (subsequently emailed to members of the Committee). A number of modifications were made to the Table of Contents during discussion (and these are reflected in the circulated draft). Bro suggested that achievements need to be reported against the criteria (set in the EPA licence, for example).

                    Action: Members to provide any further feedback on the draft contents to Carlo by 18 August 2006. Carlo to provide a draft of the whole Report prior to the next meeting, for discussion and finalisation.

 

ITEM 9       OTHER BUSINESS

George      Tabled his revised notes titled Coode Island Public Communication, addressing the need for wider interaction with the community on all the activities at Coode Island (not just Terminals). George will develop a strategy to take this work forward.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING:   10 August, 2006

Meeting dates for 2006 – 12th October, 14th December 2006.

 

t

MEETING CLOSED: 9:20 pm