COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 14th December, 2006

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Paul Hayward

Regional Engineering Manager

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino
Victorian Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

Bro Sheffield Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT   AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance.

Apologies Quentin Cooke, Theo Pykoulas, Geoff Cooke

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th April, 2006

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 12 October, 2006 confirmed, next years meeting dates         agreed.

 

ITEM 3:      REPORTS FROM AGENCIES

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Presented by Peter La Rose and George Horman

 

Peter:         Presented the Operations and Occurrence Report for Oct/Nov 2006. Export of Pygas went perfectly without incident. There were no lost time injuries. Two audits were conducted by clients those being Shell Chemicals and Exxon.

 

The weighbridge is to be built on Terminals site as Melbourne Port Corporation not helpful at all regarding other proposals put to them. At this stage the weighbridge is to be used solely by customers of Terminals Pty Ltd with Pacific Terminals and Gordon Brandon indicating an interest in utilizing facility.

 

The Marstel weighbridge is situated under their gantry. B-double trailers are disconnected in Mackenzie Road and weighed separately as the Marstel weighbridge is unable to accommodate the entire B-Double.

 

During the site visit in February the actual weighbridge location will be highlighted.

 

Bro:             Felt it would be a good idea for a letter to be sent to the Port of Melbourne Corporation regarding the weighbridge location.

 

Action: Robin to write to the Port of Melbourne Corporation advising the CICCC’s disappointment at the PoMC decision to make no public site available to Terminals for its weighbridge, consequently disadvantaging other Coode Island Users.

George:     Informed the committee that Pacific Terminals have started foundation and construction for further tank storage. Earthworks have commenced, and soil has been carted off-site. As far as he is aware no planning application has been sought for the tanks. It would have been good to have EPA here tonight to clarify what government regulation applies to the expansion. The site is undergoing redevelopment and the rest of Coode users are not being informed as to what tanks are to be used for.

 

Peter:         The road between Terminals and Pacific Terminals is going to be used for as their truck exit route.

 

George:     George asked Carlo to report gas usage in future operations reports.

George:     Terminals was in VCAT in late November regarding the proposed Bitumen Plant – Geelong site. To date still awaiting approval. There were a number of objections on the grounds that the bitumen storage could be a hazard to the VCM storage.

 

                    With regards to the sewer connection, City West Water is to date refusing to commission the new sewer connection. The connection is under the parking lane in Mackenzie Road. City West water requires an easement. PoMC says it can’t have one. CWW want a tri-partite agreement, including PoMC and users. PoMC do not wish to be party to such an agreement.

 

                    Action: Robin to write a letter to the Minister (copy Ian Munroe) regarding the sewer connection.

 

George:     P & O to date has not taken up the lease area on the East side. Preliminary work has commenced on the site to check out the capacity of the site. Geotechnical studies have commenced 12 months after the site was made available, with a crash program because of P & O’s urgent need.

 

Robin:        Thanked George and Peter for their report

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Presented by Quentin Cooke

Not in attendance deferred to next meeting.

 

CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

Presented by Theo Pykoulas

 

Not in attendance deferred to next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 4:      ACTION ITEMS

 

Robin:        Robin will prepare an Action Item list following the meeting, which will be circulated with the Draft Minutes, and avoid agreed actions “falling through the cracks”.

 

 

ITEM 5:      NEWSLETTER (discussion on draft)

 

Bro:             Felt his input to Karen had not been well represented in her draft. Several other community members had the same comment.

 

Robin         We need to get our act together and achieve an outcome. Feeling disappointed at this stage as Terminals started out not wanting a newsletter and have put forward resources to help achieve outcome. Community members need to put down specific changes to what we want in newsletter. Believe we should get behind what Karen (Clifton Consulting) has done and accept it. What Karen has put forward she felt was still too long. Need to consolidate a decision on which way we are to go and move on to next steps.

 

Bro:             Timing of distribution should be late January prior to February open day.

 

Ian:             Even though rapidly getting close to Xmas prepared to shorten piece given to Karen and notify Karen in the next few days.

 

George:     Take what is there already and reword.

 

Robin:        Contributions way too long at present, asked Ian to get in touch with Karen and be specific as to what he wants in Newsletter. As a group asked all to commit to making any comments to Karen by Xmas.

 

George:     Open Day could be moved to a date in March if more preferable 17th or 24th.

 

Robin:        Finalise text by end of January. Need a session with Karen Thursday 8th February 2007.

 

Ian:             Asked if Robin could contact Faye on her views and convey to her what we are doing prior to Xmas.

 

Robin:        Already received an email from Faye.

 

 

ITEM 6:      ANNUAL REPORT TO THE COMMUNITY

 

Carlo:         Presented the report.

 

Robin:        Undertook to email out and put on agenda for February meeting.

 

George:     Would like to have the report finalised and done.

 

ITEM 7:      OTHER BUSINESS

 

Possible storage of other chemicals at Coode Island such as Class 2.3 poisonous gases

 

Ian:             As a result of request by PACIA of companies in the port area to make clear about what if any chemicals they wish to store.

 

Robin:        Will make enquiries through PACIA.

 

Further business

 

Michael:     Tabled a letter from himself regarding land transport.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING:   Special meeting on newsletter at 6:30 pm on 8 February 2007. Regular meeting on 22nd February, 2007, preceded by a site inspection at 5:00 pm

Meeting dates for 2007 – 17th May, 19 July, 20 September, 22 November, 2007.

 

MEETING CLOSED: 7:40 pm

 

 

 


ACTION ITEM LIST

Meeting Date / Action Item No

Description

Progress

Completed

December 06/1

Robin to write to PoMC re weighbridge

 

 

December 06/2

Robin to write to Minister re sewer commissioning

 

 

December 06/3

Robin to commence an Action List as part of the Minutes

 

 

December 06/4

Carlo to send Annual Report to Community to Robin for distribution and posting to web site.

 

 

December 06/5

Robin to ask PACIA about their request to companies in the port area to advise about future chemical storage.