Adopted Minutes

Thursday 19 July 2007

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders

CICCC / Chairperson

Tim Faragher

Environment Protection Authority

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Community Rep./Committee

Scott Moloney

Environment Protection Authority

Ian Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane

Community Rep./Committee

Peter LaRose
Operations Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Paul Hayward
Engineering Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

ITEM 1.    WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF             DRAFT          AGENDA

 

Robin          Welcomed Scott Maloney from the EPA to the meeting and all others in attendance.

Apologies George Horman, Geoff Millard

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

ITEM 2.    CONFIRMATION DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON

                    17 MAY 2007 AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes

 

Tim              Referred to Page 5 of the previous minutes as being incorrect where it was recorded “Quentin had resigned” should have been “whilst Quentin is presently working on other projects he will be returning in the near future”.

 

                    Minutes adopted.


 

Action Items

 

02/06-6        Community information and warning system. Action completed and responses received from Office of the Premier of Victoria – Geoff Walsh (Chief of Staff), Colleen Hartland MLC (State Member of Parliament for Western Metropolitan Region), Martin Pakula MLC (Member for Western Metropolitan Region), and Marsha Tomson MP (State Member for Footscray, Parliamentary Secretary to the Premier).

 

                    All appreciate and share our interests, the matter now rests with the Commonwealth.

 

Deborah      Due to the flooding in the Lakes Entrance district an early warning system is to be put in place an automated system which will see people being called individually.

 

Theo            Felt Deborah may have been confusing the information with the monitoring equipment that is in place on rivers which is used to relevant authorities of impending flood. This is similar to equipment used by Melbourne Water for Maribyrnong River to give advanced warnings of river floods to other authorities including Council.

                   

                    (After the meeting Robin spoke to Joe Buffoni at the Office of the Emergency Services Commissioner. Joe advised that an automated river gauging system will be installed, which will enable advice on predicted flood heights to be telephoned to the relevant authorities in time for them to take action.)

 

02/07-2        Carlo spoke to Marstell – Ian Ross who has replaced Ron Dickenson, and the others at the Users Group Meeting regarding community representation at their meetings and they all said “no” to the request.

 

02/07-3        Greenhouse gas emissions - first report included in the Operation Report for May-June 2007. Item completed.

 

05/07-1        IAR to be made more specific —awaiting Carlo’s action.

 

05/07-2        Completed

 

05/07-3        Completed

 

05/07-4        Completed

 

05/07-5        Chemical storage figures to be provided each March and September – No clients will be included in report.

 

05/07-6        Paul demonstrated the remote monitoring and control now available for the facility. Completed

 

05/07-7        Completed

 

05/07-8        Carlo conducted presentation of chemical classification systems in Geoff’s absence. Copy of presentation to be emailed to Robin

 

05/07-9        Carlo conducted presentation of contour consequences in Geoff’s absence. Copy of presentation to be emailed to Robin.

 

Faye            Are chemicals that are interactive with each other kept separate?

 

Carlo           Yes. Terminals refer to the Material Data Safety Sheets on each product to determine which products can be stored in proximity to others.

 

Ian               Felt vapour modelling was not conducted correctly in the past. Not entirely sure what the Risk Assessment looked at.

 

Carlo           Terminals do not store any product of any great volatility.

 

Robin          Matter should be referred to WorkSafe

 

Ian               Felt that would serve no purpose whether or not there is a risk of vapour explosion. Just felt that as he had not conducted any studies with current storage scenario whether WorkSafe had done so.

 

ACTION:   Robin to contact WorkSafe to seek their advice about the adequacy of the Terminals consequence contours, and the potential for a flammable vapour cloud to explode.

 

ITEM 3.    REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Paul             Demonstrated the new security system installed at Terminals on his lap top computer for all to observe actual activity at the site.

 

Robin          Thanked Paul for his demonstration.

 

Peter            Discussed the Monthly Operations Report. The month preceding the end of financial year is always a quiet month.

 

Paul             Terminals is looking at using waste heat generated from the combustor to generate electricity therefore saving greenhouse gases.

 

Carlo           Draw the committees attention to the Planning Application currently before the council with regard to the Cotton Mills development behind Lonely Planet.

 

MARIBYRNONG COUNCIL

 

Theo            Council’s planning enforcement people have uncovered about 10 to 12 illegal dwellings in the Cotton Mills site on Maribyrnong Street. One of them has now sought to apply for a permit in the hope of changing the current illegal works.to have a factoryette altered to residential. Port of Melbourne Corporation, Marstel are putting in an objection to application. Currently going through the process and will be interesting to see how far the application gets.

 

Robin          Port of Melbourne Corporation objection would be based on keeping residential zones away from the port.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

Tim              EPA has had interaction with Terminals with regard to Planning Permit to remove 4 tanks and replace with 3 larger tanks. The product to be stored is Urea which does not require a works approval. The only requirement is a slight modification to the bunds.

 

ITEM 4.    SCOTT MALONEY TO BRIEF COMMITTEE ON OVERVIEW OF THE       COPORATE FOCUS AND OBJECTIVES OF EPA

 

Scott            Went through Powerpoint presentation:

                   

                    EPA Strategic Direction

Š      Environment Protection Act

Š      Pre 1970’s – rivers used as sewers

Š      EPA Act 1970 – Licenced discharge of waste, development of policies and regulations and enforcement.

Š      Environmental challenge

Š      Structure

Š      New strategic direction released last year

Š      Four objectives

o      Increase resource efficiency

o      Reduce emissions impacts

o      Enhance reputation

o      Benefit the economy

Š      2007/08 Business Planning

o      Licensing reform

o      Environment and Resource Efficiency Plans

o      Prescribed industrial waste

o      Greenhouse

o      Relationships with Business, Government and Community

o      Carbon Management Principles

o      Measuring our GHG Footprint

o      GHG Emissions Inventory

o      Neutralising our inventory 2005-06 & beyond

 

Ian               Does the EPA recognise significance in growth in population. Is anything being done or recommended about that?


 

Scott            Certainly. There are many more people with longer life expectancies, and population increase is recognised as an important issue.

 

Licensing reform:

Š      What requires licences and what doesn’t

Š      Industry to submit resource efficiency plans

Š      Industry greenhouse program

Š      Prescribed waste will be part of program with a very strong focus on this

 

Deborah      Not sure on what “prescribed waste” means

 

Scott            Prescribed waste is industrial waste for example:

Š      Paint sludge

Š      Contaminated soil

Š      Waste that has a particular hazardous level

 

Peter            The problem of waste disposal is an issue, waste having to be transported to Sydney.

 

Bro              Australian destruction sites need to be built to stop waste being sent overseas.

 

Ian               There is no incinerator in Australia

 

Scott           The Tullamarine site closing for industrial waste 2009 and Lyndhurst is being looked at as an alternative site in the possible future but only taking solid sludge that has been treated before dumping.

 

Ian              An initiative by EPA to extend life of Lyndhurst by not permitting 44 gallon drums being sent to landfill

 

Scott           Drums are to be cleaned out sufficiently to allow the drums to be dumped at landfill

 

Bro             EPA gradually increased its involvement with industry but needs to sort out how they interact with community. Community being viewed as neighbours to business. Community consultation treated as a derivative of business consultation.

 

Scott           EPA looking into how they can consult more broadly with the community

 

Robin         Queried whether EPA would have the scientific resources to be a leader in Greenhouse work.

 

Scott           Doing work in this area for many years. EPA is not talking about taking the responsibility for fixing climate change but trying to make a difference in greenhouse emissions.

 

Bro             EPA has put out many reports on greenhouse

 

Scott           EPA is looking to combine licences for businesses with multiple sites. Licences dealing with both day to day issues as well as corporate decisions.

 

Deborah     Was there a revenue stream associated with licences?

 

Scott           Revenue stream would remain the same

 

Peter           Waste disposal costs increasing all the time.

 

Faye           Assurance needs to be looked at whereby the process cannot be manipulated – that wastes cannot be disposed of in a way that should not be.

 

Scott           There will be no lowering of standards just more consistency within licences. Obligations around minimum standards, monitoring, and reporting conditions. All licence requirements would stay the same.

 

Faye           Creating pricing pressure, be careful not to make waste disposal a money strain. Standardisation is required, a quality schedule needs to be formulated (how far and wide applied), creating a pressure cooker situation.

 

Scott            Need to look at the entire package – not only the need to put resources into enforcement of limits of licences. New treatment standard at land fills, inspections, and recognise risks involved with increased standards. Internal auditing, on the ground enforcement and reporting to community – information being made publicly available.

 

Faye            If they do have a problem do you work with them to fix the problem?

 

Peter            Yes they do but a lot of industries fear EPA because of the fines they impose. They are worried about being slapped with a fine. We get EPA out first before making any changes to avoid that situation.

 

Faye            If the company doesn’t have a solution does EPA work with the company?

 

Scott            EPA works with the company to fix the problem

 

Tim              Increases in landfill charges are redirected into finding solutions for companies.

 

Bro              Is it possible to have the role of policeman and assisting role combined?

 

Robin          Did Bro feel WorkSafe combined both roles?

 

Bro              WorkSafe does not interact with community groups at all

 

Scott            EPA is trying to be more transparent with the broader community

 

Ian               There is a view that there is an incentive now for a truck to open valve whilst driving along and let waste go on the road. EPA has phenomenal power now to bring those responsible for spills to count.

 

Faye            Personal account – truck was continually spaying liquid on her car whilst she was driving along. What could she of done?

 

Scott            Record observations such as number plate, time of incident, etc and then report to EPA and action could then be taken.

 

Robin          Thanked Scott for very interesting presentation

 

ITEM 5.     SAFETY CASE BRIEFING BY GEOFF MILLARD

 

Covered in Action Items

 

ITEM 6.     REVIEW IAR AND EPA SIGN OFF

 

Deferred to next meeting.

 

ITEM 7.     OTHER BUSINESS

 

None

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9PM

 

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETINGS: 20th September, 2007

Remaining Meeting date for 2007 on 22nd November