Adopted Minutes

Thursday 13th December, 2007

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders

CICCC / Chairperson

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Community Rep./Committee

Peter LaRose
Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Rory Quinn
Project Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane

Community Rep./Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker

Faye Simpson

Community Member

 

Ian Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.     WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF     DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin          Welcomed all to the meeting.

 

                    Apologies: George Horman, Geoff Millard, Theo Pykoulas, Tim Faragher

                    Confirmation of draft agenda – adopted

 

Robin          Suggested we start with the Newsletter contents (refer attached Newsletter    showing mark ups). Refer also to Item 6 “Other Business” in minutes.

 

 

ITEM 2.     CONFIRMATION DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON

                    20th SEPTEMBER, 2007 AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes

 

Adopted.     Bro handed Robin a marked up copy rectifying some errors in minutes, which Robin will correct before posting the Adopted Minutes to the web site.


 

Action Items

 

05/07-1        Current version of IAR to be made slightly more specific. Robin to liaise with Carlo and Tim. Robin spoke to Tim and agreed that Carlo, Tim and himself go thru the document early in the New Year, progress and present at the next meeting.

 

05/07-5        Completed.

 

09/07-1        Completed. The PoMC responded in a letter dated 23 October 2007 (scanned and sent to members on 24/11/07) which restated the regulatory position.

 

09/07-2        Tim to report on investigation of the ethyl acrylate spill at D.P. World outcome at next meeting. Will bring to attention of EPA and try and get something in writing for next meeting.

 

09/07-3        Robin to write to the council and authorities pointing out communication deficiencies associated with the ethyl acrylate spill at D.P. World. Robin asked if Carlo attends Port of Melbourne planning meeting to which Carlo answered “No he doesn’t:

 

Deborah:     Attended a meeting many years ago where it was stated communication deficiencies as an issue, and still today nothing is being done.

 

Bro:             Mentioned to a certain MLC about communication deficiencies and forwarded the letter from the Police to her and she was going to personally follow the matter up herself.

 

Deborah:     Still feels sceptical that things will be progressed.

 

ACTION:   Robin to respond to Inspector Michael Hermans letter indicating how pleased we are from a committee’s viewpoint having issue raised at the next Port of Melbourne planning meeting and request feedback.

 

 

ITEM 3.     REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Peter            September very quiet on shipping and December was already going to be a busy month. Road tankers busy as usual. Discussed the Work Injury and Lost Time figures in the report.

 

Robin:         Whilst the report draws attention to what has been of significance regarding injuries over the last 12 months, he was confused by the information and asked Peter about the difference between the two.

 

Peter:           A Work Injury is the lesser of the two types of injuries stated on the report where as Lost Time Injuries is the more serious. The Work Injuries excludes Lost Time Injuries. The injury sustained and mentioned in the report was by an operator using a short cut and not a normal walk passage and hit his head on a steel beam. The beam has since been removed.

 

Faye:           How many WorkCover days were claimed?

 

Peter:           None

 

Peter:           Mentioned the MHF Licence renewal verification audit that took place during the month. Terminals are very happy at the outcome as we received 5 year licence with no conditions.

 

                    Annual EPA EMS audit conducted with favourable outcome.

 

                    Open Day for customers was a resounding success; Open Day for community was a complete failure with very few community members attending.

 

                    5 yearly retaining of operators with competency assessments has now begun.

 

                    Safety and Environment – When Tank 34 was emptied it was found to be 3.5 tonne less than expected and conducted an investigation into why.

 

ACTION:   Peter to provide a report at the next meeting into the investigation findings with regards to Tank 34 and the missing 3.5 tonne. Also what refitting was needed?

 

Robin:         With regard to the incident of flooding of boiler house during unusually heavy rainfall in a short period of time, incidents of local flooding happen all over Melbourne all of the time. This can happen regardless of green house effect. Heavy rain events happen all of the time.

 

Ian:              Could Peter go back to Tank 34 and was the 3.5 tonnes discharged to atmosphere over 1 month? If so this sort of thing is serious in environmental terms. Satisfied no loss downwards into the ground, could it be a possible inventory error?

 

Peter:           We are surmising the outcome due to rigorous investigations into loss.

 

Carlo:          Product has high vapour pressure.

 

Carlo:          Terminals are in the process of appointing a replacement for Michael Frost, more details to be presented next meeting.

 

                    Terminals have submitted a planning application for a couple of Tallow Tanks.

 

 

MARIBYRNONG COUNCIL

 

Apology.


 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

Apology.

 

 

ITEM 4.      REVIEW IAR AND EPA SIGN OFF

 

A separate meeting to be held between Carlo, Robin and Tim to discuss the IAR and EPA sign off.

 

ACTION:   Report next meeting

 

 

ITEM 5.      OPEN DAY AT COODE ISLAND

 

Bro:             Really persistent reminders should have been sent out.

 

Robin:         We really needed a roster of community representatives to attend throughout the day.

 

Ian:              We all should have been there.

 

Robin:         Make it a learning curve for next time. Asked if there was any feedback from the Community Newsletter?

 

Michael:      I did not receive a newsletter in my letterbox.

 

Carlo:          The letter drops were around Hyde Street.

 

Robin:         Terminals deserve some thanks from the committee in producing the newsletter.

 

Bro:             How many were printed? Where were they distributed? Can we put in a request to find out?

 

Robin:         Carlo could you please ask Karen what was the number printed and what the distribution was?

 

ACTION:   Carlo to provide distribution and print numbers of the community newsletter for the next meeting.

 

Ian:              If it has not been letterbox dropped then it should be. I am prepared to assist with distribution.

 

Robin:         Even if it meant another print run.

 

Peter:           Felt with the response at the Open Day the community are not really interested, probably due to the change in the community population.

 

Deborah:     The whole are has probably changed some 50%.

 

Robin:         I had an interesting discussion with Suzie Goldsmith who attended our last meeting and whom is an accredited auditor for EPA and is now a lecturer. Suzie stated she was blown away by this consultative committee as the questioning of Terminals was quite robust.

 

Bro:             Seen a lot of consultative committees only one where discussion robust, others are inconsequential and window dressing.

 

                    Actually know that I can put a straight question to Terminals and know that I will get a straight answer.

 

Carlo:          We actually appreciate feedback.

 

 

ITEM 6.      OTHER BUSINESS

 

MEETING DATES

 

The intended meeting dates for next year are as follows:

 

Thursday, 7th February, 2008, 10th April, 2008, 12th June, 2008, 7th August, 2008 and 6th November, 2008.

 

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 8:00 PM

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETING: 7th February, 2008