COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 7TH February, 2008

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Quentin Cooke:

Environment. Protection Authority

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

George Horman

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Peter La Rose

Operations Manager

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Sue Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance to 2008

                    Apologies Bro Sheffield Brotherton, Theo Pykoulas

 

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 13th December 2007,            AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

DRAFT MINUTES

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 13th December, 2007 confirmed.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

05/07-1      Improvement Action Plan – Carlo sent a revised copy to Robin. Robin suggested Carlo has been experiencing difficulty with EPA as they have changed their representative. Robin would like to make plans for early in the next few days for Carlo to set up a meeting with EPA and himself.

 

                    Defer to next meeting with CarloÕs immediate action being the setting up of a meeting with Quentin and Robin..


 

09/07-2      Incident at DP World - Robin suggested when Carlo gets in touch with Quentin he is to remind him about action item.

 

                    Deferred to next meeting.

 

12/07-1      Robin wrote to Inspector Trish Duke and conveyed to her that the committee was gratified with the response, and sought details and action of the planning meeting with Melbourne Port Corporation mentioned in the response. No reply had been received to date.

 

                    ACTION: Robin to follow up with a phone call.

 

12/07-2      Peter responded to incident with Tank 34 – Iso Hexane.

 

Peter:         Upon investigation an automatic pressure relief valve was found to be ajar and was not closing properly. The pressure was being released, with the vapour mixture being vented to the combustor. The vapour space was replaced automatically by nitrogen.

 

                    This is the first time we have had this problem and will keep a tighter control on the stock levels in the future.

 

Ian:             The loss through this valve meant a continuous discharge of vapour into the combustor.

 

Robin:        Asked what the product loss was worth?

 

Peter:         The loss was about 3.1 tonnes and has cost the company $8K

 

Robin:        What action is to be taken in the future?

 

Peter:         Tighter control on the stock levels.

 

 

12/07-3      Community Newsletter Distribution – 500 pamphlets were distributed and also advertised in the Footscray Mail. PACIA also ran own advertisement.

 

Robin:        In view of the fact that so much effort and pain has gone into producing this newsletter what the committee needs to do is reflect on and discuss whether we want to try and reprint newsletter minus reference to the Open Day and with greater distribution numbers and area. Or whether we just let it go?

 

George:     What are we proposing to achieve by another Newsletter?

 

                    The Open Day was advertised fairly widely. Would like to know how everyone else whom was also open on the same day faired, such as Australian Vinyl Corporation, BASF, and DOW.

 

                    When it comes to the chemical industry in the late 1980Õs and early 1990Õs a lot of interest was generated courtesy of the fire.


 

                    In 1997 during an Open Door Day twelve thousand people attended (total of all facilities open) compared to the year 2007 when there would barely have been 100 people (total of all facilities open) and thatÕs not just us therefore proving interest has waned.

                   

                    When Terminals had the Butadiene controversy an Open Day was held at the Corio facility and 30 people attended. People just seem to of lost interest in the Chemical Industry.

 

Ian:             There is considerably less industry now compared to back then.

 

George:     Recalled before the fire there was television footage. Maybe this was caused by odours.

 

Robin:        Relevance of fewer incidents now due to better management of the industries. Maybe the lack of interest can be taken as a pat on the back?

 

George:     DonÕt buy that idea, as there have been fires such as that at Longford. Public may be conscious of the fact of low unemployment.

 

Deborah:   DonÕt think so

 

Robin:        So much more that the public are anxious about, such as global warming, work choices, etc.

 

Ian:             Tend to think it is derogatory of us to regard it as lack of interest, implies that public not doing as much as before. Level of contentedness is more an issue rather than lack of concern.

 

Michael:     Members of community are vaguely aware of industry and are contented. A lot of people I know are not interested. They think everything will be fine.

 

Peter:         Only interest shown in Terminals was when they thought we were responsible for the incident at DP World. People now concerned about dredging.

 

Deborah:   There are going to be a lot more even bigger ships having access to the port which in turn means more chemicals being brought in from overseas.

 

                    Maybe the Press Releases are too complicated.

 

Robin:        Most of what we report are good news stories that do not generate interest.

 

Ian:             As everything is going so well we should drastically reduce the frequency of these meetings.

 

Robin:        While from one perspective what Ian says has merit, the other perspective is that our five meetings per year represents a discipline in monitoring Terminals performance, and providing some comfort to the wider community that the CICCC is keeping an eye on the situation.


 

George:     I am alarmed at the lack of interest. We need to provide something of more interest to people.

 

                    It wasnÕt a good situation for Terminals when people were concerned about us, people thought we were intrinsically unsafe and therefore felt threatened.

 

Robin:        George is very proud of Plant C and how it looks but it fills me with nothing but boredom. Maybe hold a rock concert?

 

George:     How do you make an Open Day work? We do not have anything all that bad but if the whole of Coode Island were to open up on another scale and provide entertainment for the children etc it might work better.

 

Fay:             I was wondering whether Terminals is moving to another phase as a lot of the interest has stopped. Next step should be where you move into the community and by doing that might attract a great deal more professional interest such as Rotary, Scholarships in Schools etc.

 

Ian:             Run the sausage sizzle outside Bunnings.

 

Deborah:   Informing schools is a good thing.

 

Robin:        Deborah and I went on a series of 3 meetings to get schools to use Terminals as a project inviting them to avail themselves of all the information we have available. No interest was shown at all as schools already have such a full curriculum.

 

Michael:     Why donÕt you invite people to look at the wharf and the containers and in turn the chemical plants?

 

George:     Everyone paranoid.

 

Robin:        None of us are convinced that any action is going to be of benefit. We will do nothing until someone has a more specific idea.

 

Deborah:   Felt news filters would be more beneficial.

 

Faye:          Is Terminals still a danger to the public?

 

Quentin:     But why would you want to do that. Terminals is seen by the public as unexciting infrastructure where something only happens infrequently. Need to put out some positive information. The Port has a Port Education Centre. Need to pitch out at the school market giving them some positive information about chemicals in industry to inform and educate people.

 

                    I have dealt with other sites that have a very active tour schedule. The Port is a magnet that people are interest in, watching ships being loaded. They conduct a professional tour on a weekly basis. They get 1,000Õs of people each year getting their message across.

 

George:     Adding flesh to previous comments it has to be the whole island and do it as a tour. Positives are people seeing that chemicals are not running everywhere.

 

Quentin:     Message that we are part of the industrial scene.

 

Robin:        Why not take the next step and suggest to the Port they undertake such tours.

 

George:     Not a good thing when people do not know anything about you as it tends to make them worry.

 

Ian:             I am concerned about Newsletter, assumed 500 went to houses?

                    Do not think it would have made a difference to Open Day or meeting.

 

                    500 is no where near enough. Certainly like to see some more distributed as far as Williamstown. The reason is to communicate.

 

Robin         The Newsletter is on the CICCC Web Site.

 

George:     CICCC website has old EPA license.

 

Robin:        Will look into that.

 

ACTION     Robin to check latest version of EPA Licence is on the CICCC Web Site

 

Faye:          Would it be beneficial to see a billboard with company statistics that change monthly. Could Terminals look at that option?

 

George:     Not many people would see it as they have to come through guard house.

 

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented by Quentin Cooke

 

Quentin:     I have not been near Terminals in quite a length of time.

 

                    There was an incident today, a spill of diesel at a fuel outlet, McDonald Road, Geelong Highway. Fuel ended up in Stony Creek. The fuel leak came out of a mini tanker that drove off while hose pipe was still connected. Approximately 4,000 litres spilled onto the ground. Some of the spill was caught at the site but remainder went into the creek.

 

                    One sick duck was the only casualty.

 

                    Over the last year quite a number of significant events have happened in Melbourne.

 

                    D.P. World event is still under investigation and appears to be caused by damage to a container whilst being unloaded from a ship. The incident caused a plume to go over a significant part of the western suburbs.

 

                    As part of the clean up we had to call on Carlo for assistance in dousing the smell.


 

                    There was also an incident in West Footscray where a plume of Chlorine type gas was released from a storage site. The incident happened at Indwe Street which is a main thoroughfare. The incident caused rather a large impact with people and some vegetation damage.

 

Robin:        Is there a pattern here of things happening?

 

Quentin:     Not related to Coode Island but there has been a few to keep EPA busy.

 

                    All of these events are where we have had considerable outrage and community interest. When it is over it is not an ongoing interest.

 

George:     If you handle any sort of chemical it comes down to how much effort it takes to make it safe.

 

Quentin:     They have to change their procedures on how they handle the containers.

 

George:     If you handle chemicals you are going to have some loss of containment at some stage.

 

Robin:        In a presentation to the CICCC in the past P&O Ports said they did not know what was in most of their containers.

 

Quentin:     Someone in D.P. World would have some information and have access to Material Data Safety Sheets.

 

                    The EPA has launched a couple of new programs EREP – Energy and Resource Efficiency Plans. Significant facilities in the state re water usage will be required to register and prepare EREP plans, targeting the biggest users of water and energy. Target facilities will include major shopping centres and hospitals.

 

                    A list of the biggest users is being developed at the moment. There is a lot of interest in who is on the list.

 

Ian:             Will it be a license condition.

 

Quentin:     A lot of these places are not licensed but it will be a requirement to comply.

 

                    The second program is Corporate Licensing. The first Corporate License is with Goulburn Vally Water. Altogether 26 individual licenses have been consolidated into one. The target is any corporation with many licenses and have them put all into one.

 

                    Terminals could seek a Corporate License. Having one site accredited and one not accredited would not be an impediment to seeking a Corporate License.

 

Robin:        Explain where does the efficiency come into it?

 

Quentin:     Find information on EPA website. Corporate License has 8 pages so therefore a much small volume. One license fee and one document to maintain. Would make license much simpler and more of a whole of business type.

 

Ian:             Expression of thanks to Quentin.

 

Quentin:     Established groups do require reinvigoration. One group of people I know of actually employed a consultant to get renewed energy into their meetings.

 

Deborah:   Maybe we should invite someone from Goulburn Valley to talk about the Corporation License experience.

 

George:     Will wait for some more details to come along in the near future.

 

Ian:             Organization which falls below radar can still show an initiative and become involved.

 

Deborah:   Could we follow up the Emergency Early Warning System.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Robin to follow up with a phone call

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented by Peter La Rose

 

Peter:         Terminals received a visit from the MFB during the month, new recruits familiarizing themselves with the site.

 

                    We also had a visit from Terminals American owners.

                    We are due for a major EXXON audit shortly.

                    Operators have now begun the task of redoing the competency assessments.

 

                    Peter took committee through the incidents on the Operations Report. With regard to the incident where Canola was found to be coming out of open manway; Peter stressed these are the only two tanks that are manifolded together so it could not happen anywhere else on the site.

 

Carlo:         Intend to put in a Planning Application for new tanks with the Department of Community Planning and Development. Either 2 or 5 Tallow tanks at Plant. B.

 

Peter:         Hopes by October net year Plant B will look as good as Plant C.

 

Robin:        List of incidents just reflecting some 5 years ago we might have 3 or 5. Is this a lot of incidents to be having with such a well run site.

 

George:     You need to look at the statistics regularly if they drop I become suspicious. Owning up to the incidents is the key to continual improvement. How can we have fewer incidents when you have more construction?

 

Robin:        If they drop down to a certain threshold then you are not reporting them?

 

George:     You learn from incidents.

 

Peter:         A fair few of incidents are failure of equipment.

 

Faye:          If you have rising numbers you need to have a look at whether all staff are being trained properly.

 

George:     We are investing a great deal of time and effort into implementing procedural changes.

 

Faye:          Maintenance schedule was a paper chase.

 

Carlo:         Maintenance Planner is now being used that is on the wall showing what maintenance checks are to be completed.

 

Ian:             I believe the reporting is first class.

 

George:     Major Hazard Facility license for next 5 years has been granted.

 

                    Information will be given at the next meeting regarding 3 tanks that were bought from Bentley Chemplex for fertilizer storage at Coode for Incitec Pivot.

 

                    Also the new nitrogen generator and other new improvements will be talked about at the next meeting.

 

                    The Old Cotton Mills planning application has been knocked back by council and has been taken to VCAT. The area is not appropriately zoned for residential. Terminals in conjunction with others will get involved.

 

Ian:             Could Terminals supply an elevated diagram showing arrangement of tanks. Could we have a drawing showing one typical tank and tank fittings.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REVIEW IAR AND EPA SIGN OFF

 

Item deferred to next meeting pending outcome of meeting between Carlo, Robin and Quentin.

 

 

ITEM 5.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETINGS:

 

Thursday, 10th April, 2008, 12th June, 2008, 7th August, 2008 and 6th November, 2008.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9:15 PM