COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 10th April, 2008

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Joan Thomas
proxy for Ian Thomas, Community Rep

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Quentin Cooke:

Environment. Protection Authority

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Peter La Rose

Operations Manager

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin         Welcomed all in attendance.

                    Apologies George Horman, Ian Thomas, Theo Pykoulas

 

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES MEETING 7 February 2008,        AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

DRAFT MINUTES

 

Robin:        Draft minutes of 7 February 2008 confirmed.

 

ACTION ITEMS

 

05/07-1      Carlo met on-site with Quentin and Robin to review the IAR on 19 February 2008. The agreed changes were word processed by Carlo, and the revised IAR (the version headed Updated February 2008) was posted to the web site.

 

                    Several further updates were made at the meeting, in particular responding to points raised by Bro. The updated version will now be posted to the web site.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Robin to update IAR, circulate and post to web.


 

09/07-2      Incident at DP World - Quentin reminded the meeting that he had made some comment on this matter at the last meeting, and that EPA had nothing further to report at this stage.

                   

                    The item will remain open, to be addressed more fully by EPA when circumstances permit.

 

12/07-1      Acting Inspector Russell Barrett responded via email on 4 April 2008 (email forwarded that day to all CICCC members), advising in part that “the Region 1 emergency management response plan details that the control agency for an incident in consultation with other support agencies is responsible for ensuring appropriate and timely messages are disseminated to the affected community. Additionally it provides that if the control agency is not equipped, or is otherwise unable to issue public warnings, the assistance of the Victoria Police Media Unit will assist.

                   

                    The Committee requested the Chair to write to Acting Inspector Barrett an invite him to the June meeting of the CICCC.

 

                    ACTION: Robin to write to Acting Inspector Barrett inviting him to the June meeting of the CICCC.

 

                    The Committee requested the Chair to write to Colleen Hartland MLC and invite her to the June meeting of the CICCC.

 

                    ACTION: Robin to write to Colleen Hartland MLC inviting her to the June meeting of the CICCC.

 

12/07-2      Report on Tank 34 – completed.

 

 

12/07-3      Community Newsletter Distribution – completed

 

12/08 -1     Robin to check latest version of EPA Licence is on CICCC Web Site – completed

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

                    Presented by Quentin Cooke

                   

                    Each Accredited Licensee submits an Annual Report. Terminals has submitted its Annual Report for the 2007 calendar year. EPA will now review the Terminals Licence, as some chemicals which are no longer stored (i.e. Propylene Oxide) are still allowed on the licence, whereas if they were to be reintroduced they would require considerable engineering work by Terminals and careful consideration by EPA.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Robin to put the review of the EPA Licence on the Agenda for June 2008.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Carlo to prepare the 2007 Community Annual Report which contains the 2007 Annual EPA Report, and finalise it prior to the June 2008 meeting.

 

Terminals has recommended the deletion of tests for heavy metals in the groundwater. Geoff Millard has recommended stopping it, on the basis that the groundwater movement off-site is so small that the heavy metal contamination of the river is negligible.

 

Quentin reminded the meeting that over the river there has been concern about arsenic leaching from old fill material, and investigation has indicated a particular risk to river contamination.

 

The meeting agreed that a further report from Terminals should be submitted on this matter, and advice sought from PoMC (in particular Amber Dixon, their groundwater specialist) about general testing for heavy metals undertaken by PoMC around Coode Island.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Teminals to report on the level of heavy metal contamination in the groundwater at its facility, and its potential affect on river contamination.

 

ACTION ITEM:   Robin to write to PoMC seeking advice on testing that PoMC has undertaken for heavy metal content in groundwater at and around Coode Island.

 

 

 

                    TERMINALS PTY LTD

                    Presented by Peter La Rose

 

Peter presented the Monthly Operations & Occurrence Report for February/March 2008. Peter drew attention to the loading of the first truck from the new Plant B Bottom loading gantry. Bottom loading removes the likelihood of operator injury while climbing up to the top of the road tanker for the older top loading process. There are now only six products remaining to be retro-fitted for bottom loading at the truck filling station.

 

The issue of gas usage at the combustor was again extensively canvassed. Carlo explained that turning off the gas at night would only save approximately 20% of the total gas usage. As this figure is about 3,000 tonnes (CO2 equivalent) in total, the Committee thought that a 20% reduction was well worth achieving, if practicable. Carlo had concerns that if the combustor pilot was turned off at night, and the required reignition failed, a further problem would be caused. Peter had concerns about the back-up use of the carbon beds, given the extensive problems with the carbon beds in the past.

 

Joan reported that carbon beds were used as a back-up at Marstel’s facility. The Committee drew attention to a number of matters where action was outstanding, including the evaluation of the effectiveness of targets from the 1st EIP, which were due in the 4th Quarter of 2005.

Carlo stated that with the recent resignation of Project Engineer Rory Quinn (who is returning to his favoured field in pharmaceuticals), while operational matters were well under control, resources to investigate aspirational and strategic issues were presently inadequate. He stated that a suggestion made by the Chair, that the evaluation review be delegated, had been acted on, and he has an engineering undergraduate started on this task.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REVIEW IAR AND EPA SIGN OFF

 

Item reported above under Action Item 05/07 – 1, and now up-to-date.

 

 

ITEM 5.       FERTILISER TANK PRESENTATION (TERMINALS)

 

Carlo presented some overheads for this item. Four tanks have been removed, and three second hand tanks will be installed and extensively upgraded. The product to be stored is a mixture of urea, ammonia and water. This composition, with about 50% water, makes the product useless as an explosive precursor, overcoming past problems resulting from international terrorist use of Ammonium Nitrate. The tanks will hold 900, 900 and 2500 cubic metres respectively. Two shipments a year of product are anticipated.

 

ITEM 6.       NITROGEN GENERATION AND OTHER IMPROVEMENTS (TERMINALS)

 

Carlo presented some overheads for this item. The new weighbridge near the Plant B Truck filling station has been completed and is operational. While it cost $383,000 to build, it allows an accurate inventory to be maintained, and cuts out the extra travel trucks used to have to do to and from the Footscray Market Weighbridge.

 

The Nitrogen Generator has been installed at a cost of $301,000. About 66% of the nitrogen used at the facility will be generated by the new equipment. Extra nitrogen will have to be purchased only when there are large demands during ship discharge. Whereas previously there were 3 to 4 20 tonne trucks delivering nitrogen per week, now only one truck per fortnight is anticipated, on average.

 

During heavy use, the nitrogen generator cuts out (pressure incompatibility). Carlo advised the meeting that this was an issue that he wished to address in the future, so that the generator could continue to operate at full capacity all the time.

 

Carlo reported on the outcome of the combustion in the combustors of certain suitable liquid wastes (generally organic waste washing water). While the cost of the necessary pipework and fittings was $220,000 there has been a saving of the cost of disposing of the material at the Sydney liquid waste facility , the saving being both transport costs and processing costs at the plant.

 

Carlo also reported on a security camera upgrade at the facility, at a cost of $322,000. Now the camera output is linked to movement detector alarms, and every report of movement is remotely viewed off-site by a security firm. Where visual review shows any suspicious circumstance, the security firm takes action, including alerting Terminals staff. The annual cost of $180,000 per year for a security guard has been saved, and the surveillance system is more reliable than before.

 

 

ITEM 7.       DETAIL OF TYPICAL CURRENT TANK< PIPE AND COMBUSTOR ARRANGEMENTS (TERMINALS)

 

Carlo presented a schematic plan of the typical arrangement, and spoke to it. The equipment on the roof of the typical tank includes a pressure transmitter connected to the nitrogen supply, a dip adaptor (which allows manual dipping of the liquid level without allowing product contact with the atmosphere), a vacuum vent in association with a pressure vent, the latter connected to the combustor, and an emergency vent. Systems for cooling water and foam injection complete the fit-out.

 

 

 

ITEM 8.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

All other business had been covered in the discussion of the items above.

 

NEXT SCHEDULE MEETINGS:

 

Thursday, 12th June, 2008, 7th August, 2008 and 6th November, 2008.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 9:00 PM