COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday, 19 August, 2010

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders:
Chairperson

Peter La Rose
Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Susan Chatterton
Minute Taker

Col Brighton
Maintenance & Operations Superintendant

Ian Thomas
Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas
City of Maribyrnong

Deborah Macfarlane
Community Rep./Committee

Kerry Murphy
EPA

Faye Simpson
Community Rep./Committee

 

 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

Robin Welcome to everyone

                    Apologies: Carlo Fasolino, George Horman, Bro Sheffield Brotherton

                    Confirmation of draft agenda – adopted

ITEM 2. CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 13 MAY 2010 and REVIEW ACTION LIST

 

Draft Minutes - Adopted

Action Items

3/10

EPA to advise whether EPA has any concerns if Terminals P/L wishes to provide its Annual Report on the Coode Island facility to the CICCC at the same time it provides it to EPA.

Kerry

EPA has no objections but people need to understand that EPA will in future require an Annual Performance Statement in place of an Annual Report. I will email an example of the Performance Statement to Robin for distribution.

 

 

3/10-3

Terminals to circulate 2009 Annual Report one month before May 7 meeting, and Robin to list on agenda the report for presentation and discussion.

Robin

We have copies of the 2009 Annual Community Report and EPA Report (1 copy only). Will defer discussion until Item 4 on the Agenda.

5/10-1

Carlo to bring both forms of 2009 Annual Report to the August meeting. Done

5/10-2

Robin to ring Kerry Murphy about future arrangements for EPA representation at CICCC meetings.

Kerry

I do think you are better with Mark being in attendance at this committee meeting as he is TerminalsÕ Client Manager. Mark will continue from the December meeting. If you want Quentin to come to the meeting then it is part of MarkÕs job to bring you the right technical specialist and to keep you informed.

Ian

Thank you Kerry for your involvement so far.

Robin

Kerry has done a great job at both committee meetings. We will be looking forward to Mark continuing on in the same way. The community representatives thank Kerry for her valuable contribution in the past.

Kerry

There is a lot going on within the EPA at the moment. There will be 12 consultation sessions across the state in September and I will let Robin know so you can attend as your input into that would be great. Community Reference GroupÕs are the sounding board to the EPA. John Merritt is calling for nominations in early September. Another interesting item coming up is Terminals accreditation at Geelong. John is concerned about the lack of community support at that site. Your advice as a CLC holder would be of assistance to John.

 

 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

 

 

TERMINALS

Peter

  • Road works on Mackenzie Road finally complete

 

  • Exxon conducted annual audit

 

  • Melbourne operator retired after 27 years.

 

Incidents

M/10/12

Whilst unloading ship the dock line became blocked.

Faye

As a result of the language difficulty between shore and ship is there a possibility of the check list being written in other languages.

Peter

We have no authority on the ship. We sign off check list with the Captain of the ship who can speak English but we have no other authority on the ship.

Robin

Seems to me whoever is responsible for the ship that duty should fall onto them. Is it the Port of Melbourne Authority? Why doesnÕt this committee write to the PoMC. Suggest that material be provided in different languages. The task of putting check list should not be a big deal in this day and age.

Peter

We have had many discussions with the PoMC about this.

Robin

The PoMC should be able to take punitive action should the ship not pass on information.

Ian

Something of this seriousness we should do something about it. In my experience the issue is the jurisdiction on board is completely separate and a bureaucratic nightmare. PoMC do have the power to require action. In the first instance it should be a letter to the PoMC.

Peter

A few years earlier we had an odour problem. The EPA had no authority over the ship and could not take action until the odour was proved to go across the land.

Faye

If the groups could get together and provide translators it adds to the safety of the port.

Deborah

It would be interesting to know how other ports deal with this such as Hong Kong.

Peter

We are only a very small part of the port. The letter to the Melbourne Port Corporation would be a good start.

ACTION

Robin to draft letter to PoMC

Col

After this incident we told PoMC that we were raising an incident report so Robin if you could mention that in your letter. (Incident report No. M/10/12 dated 28/06/10).

Ian

There is also the issue of gaining access to Emergency Information at the Terminals site.

Peter

The information is inside the site where it is accessible for the emergency services such as Fire Brigade, Worksafe, etc.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

Kerry

The main thing is the licence reform program. Progressively working through the licences. The new reformed licence is going to look different (handed out a generic licence). EPA need to write another condition that deals with their specific site. Terminals will look at their licence; they will be given a 21 day timeframe to do so.

The EPA is going to run a workshop with regard to the licence. Need to know whether this committee would like to take part in a workshop or just be given the information?

Ian

Is the EPA running a workshop with everyone affected?

Kerry

No just the committee members interested. We donÕt have to do it as a workshop.

Robin

The TGCCC are having a workshop prior to the committee meeting. You have suggested Thursday 7/10/10 is there any objections at the same time?

Deborah

Would Tuesday 12/10/10 be okay?

Robin

Yes 12/10/10 @ 6:30pm at the same City of Maribyrnong conference room. The workshop will look at the new licence conditions.

Theo

I will confirm that the conference room is available for that time.

Robin

Kerry will you circulate information prior to the workshop.

ACTION

Kerry to provide a copy of the proposed licence and what has been changed prior to the special meeting on 12/10/2010.

Kerry

Terminals will have been given a copy of their final licence. At the workshop there will be people from the Licence Reform Group. I will make sure you have the right level of expertise.

Ian

Under the dangerous goods the CFA require more detailed drawings. The EPA would need storm water drains, sewerage discharge point etc. The sort of detail that is done for the CFA would need to be mirrored for the EPA.

Kerry

Enforcement of the licence, seeking developing up compliance and enforcement will send information.

Robin

Compliance review timing?

Kerry

Within the next week.

Robin

I will be away 10/9 to 6/10 so if you could please send information through to Sue Chatterton.

Kerry

There is a white paper which will be turned into an Act on 31/8/10.

Deborah

The white paper you referred to is that on your website?

Kerry

Yes

 

MARIBYRNONG COUNCIL

Theo

  • No planning issues presented to the council.

 

  • Former CEO has taken a position with the Wyndham council

 

  • Every 2 years updating the ÒWhen Industry is Your Neighbour community awareness campaignÓ. This contains general information and a few phone numbers. It is a colour brochure and a fridge magnet.

Faye

With regard to the poster would you contemplate not changing the colours? One of the things I get used to is the colour of different information on your fridge and you know immediately where to look when its needed. Also good for children to identify if you keep the same colour.

Theo

I will take note of that.

Robin

Thank you Theo

 

ITEM 4. 2009 Annual Report: Carlo to bring both the Report to the EPA and the Community Report to the meeting for discussion and decision

 

Robin

We have just heard from Kerry that this annual report will be replaced with the Annual Performance Statement.

Kerry

The EPA will be publishing the annual performance statement on the website. It is not going to give you much detail. Terminals would have a monitoring program in place and the EPA would perform compliance tests.

Faye

How would the CICCC get information about the compliance reports? We need to be alerted to items where we have non compliance.

Peter

You would be aware of non compliance prior to receiving report as we raise incident reports and report those at the meetings.

Kerry

Non compliance would be put into the EPA report.

Robin

What I suggest is we request Terminals to continue doing the Annual Community Report, and request a copy of the EPA Annual Report for the CICCC web site.

ACTION

Carlo to provide an electronic copy of Annual Environment Performance Report 2010 to be given to Robin to put on website.

 

 

ITEM 5.       Email from the State Library seeking to put the CICCC website material on their permanent on-line collection

 

Robin

Bro was all for this. Michael found another posting on the web that criticized the operation of the State Library system (called Pandora). After investigation and further discussion with the State Library, it is clear that the Pandora website provides a direct hot-link to the copied web site (in our case the current CICCC website). CICCC would like to know if Terminals has any objection to agreeing to the State Library request.

Peter

George is the only one that can give the go ahead

Ian

A great initiative

Robin

The CICCC is recognised by the Library as being of such significance as to warrant being put on their website. If the committee is happy and George is okay with it then I will advise the State Library that they can copy the CICCC web site onto their Pandora website.

 

 

ITEM 6.       LETTER FROM PoMC on OPERATION ISLAND

 

 

Robin

This goes back to December 2009 where I wrote to PoMC regarding the failure of PoMC to attend the meeting. I sought advise from Michael and Deborah.

Deborah

You could not see anything from where we were allowed to stand.

Robin

The situation is that our letter has now been flannelled. Does the committee want to leave the issue or continue?

Deborah

George was happy for us to go and met us on the day and tried to get us closer to the action.

Peter

It was out of Terminals control but PoMC would not allow committee members to go to the debriefing. The debriefing was held at PoMC offices. Everyone was there but we could not get committee members in to the meeting.

Faye

Does the PoMC come under a minister?

Deborah

I do not think we can afford to let it go. George was actually told why. They had an exercise earlier and there was a community person in attendance that caused trouble.

Robin

I believe we should aim to engage the PoMC in a dialogue on this matter, and the language problems with tankers. I suggest we ask the CEO of PoMC to attend our next meeting, to try and engage them and work together.

Deborah

Propose that Robin write to the CEO of PoMC inviting him to attend our next meeting.

ACTION

Robin to write to the CEO of PoMC inviting him to attend our next meeting.

ITEM 7.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

Robin

Proposed dates for 2011 – Agreed

Ian

2 things

  1. Sustainability and living safely with chemicals. Now a society known as the LCA Society.
  2. City of Melbourne currently has 1,200 building initiative. Intend to have 1,200 buildings within the city of Melbourne to reach 4 ½ star energy efficiency. NABERS system. (National Australian Buildings Rating System. At the moment there are 4 buildings that comply. Current it is voluntary but will not remain so.

Ian

I chose to raise the issue of RADON presence. This is a naturally occurring gas that is not dangerous unless present in a high quantity.

MEETING CLOSED : 9:00PM.

Next Meeting Special meeting with EPA at 6:30 pm on Tuesday 12 October 2010

Following meeting Normal CICCC meeting on Thursday 2 December 2010

Dates for 2011 meetings 17 March, 16 June, 8 September, 8 December 2011