COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Thursday 31st May 2012

 

 

PRESENT

 

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Geoff Millard  Terminals Pty Ltd

Safety Environment &Training Manager

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Peter La Rose  Terminals Pty Ltd
Manager Coode Island

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Susan Chatterton  Terminals Pty Ltd

Minute Taker

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups / Committee

Jenny Bygrave

Community Relations Manager

Port of Melbourne Corporation

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

 

John Riley

Port of Melbourne Corporation

Joan Thomas

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin         First of all it is my pleasure to welcome Jenny Bygrave and John Riley from             the Port of MelbourneWelcome also to Joan Thomas and Geoff Millard.

 

                    Apologies Carlo Fasolino, Ian Thomas, Theo Pykoulas, and Jessamy Nicholas

 

                    Confirmation of draft agenda - adopted

 

 

ITEM 2.       PRESENTATION BY PORT of MELBOURNE CORPORATION

 

STAKEHOLDER FEEDBACK

 

Jenny         Thank you for having John and I at this meeting.

 

Jenny then spoke of revenue tonnage of billable cargo that goes through the Port, and what that cargo consisted of such as cars, grain (in containers), bulk liquid, etc.

 

Overall the total port trade is increasing, with the April 2012 throughput of 7.15 million revenue tonnes being an 11.5 increase over April last year. Container throughput (full and empty) for April showed an increase of 9.8% over the same month last year.

 

Jenny then handed out information regarding Stakeholder views from the Port City Vision Workshop of 17 April, 2012.  On the hand out were 4 questions participants were asked:-

 

  1. How can the Port bring together the views and needs of different stakeholders?
  2. What are the effective ways for the different stakeholders to shape a Port City vision?
  3. How could PoM’s approach to community engagement help develop a shared Port City vision?
  4. What would you like to see next?

 

From those questions came 8 responses from the PoMC of what they intend to do and by when.

 

Deborah    Why did the Port decide to do this?

 

Jenny         The seminar opened our eyes to what people actually thought of the Port.  We occupy a lot of space and impact on the surrounds.

 

John           We are looking at implementing a History Trail

 

Deborah    The Port is terribly secretive. We would like to see the Port being transparent about safety.  The Port has overall management of the area.

 

                    General discussion on the reporting of incidents to the PoMC took place, with advice from Jenny that the PoMC did not seek details of incidents from leaseholders.

 

Bro              Strange the Port doesn’t know if one of the lease holders makes a mistake that might affect the community.

 

Peter          Terminals have never had an obligation to report an incident to the Port.

 

Deborah    I think there should be an obligation to report any incidents.

 

Robin         Terminals took the step to provide a full disclosure to the CICCC of all incidents at their site a long time ago. That action, along with others, has helped Terminals to develop an open, transparent relationship with the committee. We would welcome a similar relationship with the PoMC. 

 

Jenny         We are actually encouraging discussions and that is the type of approach we are aiming for, being more transparent.

 

Deborah    Transparency yes but also need to know what is going on around the Port.

 

Jenny         We need to know about incidents only to a certain level.

 

Faye           Apart from Port interacting with community, it needs to interact with shipping and address bi-lingual issues that raise safety issues.  How Customs operate throughout the Port is another issue: clearly the Port is one access point.  The community needs to know you are operating for the community.

 

Jenny         There are different bodies that control different responsibilities within the Port.

 

Suggestions raised by the committee are as follows:-

 

  1. Gather feedback from communities.
  2. Seek comment on draft charter – put on website.
  3. Reverse beeper noise; consult with WorkSafe, EPA, review of sirens etc.
  4. Bringing stakeholders together annually not enough: extend to 3 times per year
  5. Hold discussion forums
  6. Engagement process – examples Whyalla and Newcastle ports, where wharves have been opened up to communities.  The PoMC community centre at present is not easy to get to by public transport.  Look at establishing something in the CBD.
  7. Port Interface Landscape Master Plan

Š      Port being more sharing of their land

Š      Demonstration projects, see something on the ground

Š      Port physically fenced in, need areas where public can get in without breaching security.

 

Jenny         There are areas under the Westgate Bridge – 3 areas now being looked at for improving open space and landscaping.  Port has budget for landscaping.

 

ACTION:  Jenny to send links through to Robin to view Port Interface Landscape Master Plan.

 

  1. Present forward trends, economic through put data and forecasting that would enhance the way you look at the Ports forward planning.
  2. Benchmarking operations, including wharf use, against for other ports, including Singapore and Hong Kong. With comments as necessary for different conditions. 
  3. Link what you do everyday to what comes through the Port.
  4. Present at Key Community events.  CICCC will put on our agenda once a year to formerly invite the Port to one of our meetings.  We would be seeking an overview of big picture initiatives at the port..
  5. Regular email – link to website.  Information on Facebook and Twitter.  Engage people.

 

Robin         On the issue of cultural change, we were impressed by cultural change processes within the EPA. Suggest you talk to Jessamy Nicholas about recent approaches at EPA to involve staff in setting the five year plan and to come up with, and implement, a new organisational structure.

 

ACTION:  Jenny to send Robin information regarding seminar on the Port freight and logistics chain for community stakeholders.

 

John Riley then talked through overhead presentation regarding Port City Vision Workshop and the Port Environs Controls.

 

 

            There was some general discussion during which Committee members talked about the need for the Vision work to address the interaction of land use and port operation, questioning what comes first, acceptable transport networks or port capacity. This led on to extensive discussion of inland ports, and rail access at the Port land in Footscray opposite Coode Island. 

Peter        The Port has sought advice on any proposed works within our site. In view of the detailed procedures in place for the permitting of works, it may be better if the Port gets an understanding of the procedures presently in place through discussion with us.

 

Robin       We would like to thank you for attending the meeting tonight and for participating in the rather extended session, recognizing the value of getting considerable feedback from a group of committed community representatives.

 

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 29TH FEBRUARY,   2012 AND      REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

The draft minutes of the February meeting were adopted without change. The Action Item list review of uncompleted items was deferred to next meeting

 

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

 

TERMINALS REPORT

 

The report will be emailed to members by Robin, and the incidents of severity 2 will be discussed at the next meeting.

Geoff Cooke advised that the Safety Case is being submitted in mid June. WorkSafe will take 6 months to assess it. The workshops that led to its development were thorough, and WorkSafe advised on human factors and asset integrity.

There were 52 recommendations for improvement. 12 of these were for software, and safety management systems to be reviewed against best Australian practice.

 

The Buncefield (UK) experience was carefully considered, and learnings applied. One recommendation considered a case where a tank overflow was not noticed for a considerable time (although this is not likely, given the high level alarms and the degree of site oversight). Should however the high level alarms not work, and such a scenario developed, it was recommended that improvements to the detection of such an overflow should be investigated.

 

An example of human factors involved a scenario where limited controls on tanker filling were required for vegetable oils, and operators might then get careless with a subsequent truck loading dangerous materials.

 

Committee members questioned whether loading bays could be separated into flammable and non-flammable products. Peter responded that this had been carefully examined, but the distribution, diversity and location of tanks did not make it a viable solution.

 

ACTION:  Geoff to circulate the 52 recommendations in the Safety Case as a basis for developing the next EIP, highlighting those with environmental impact, and also including the capital list summary.

 

CITY OF MARYIBYRNONG

 

Theo had advised prior to the meeting that there was nothing to report.

 

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

While Jessamy had another meeting and had sent an apology, she had also provided the usual comprehensive EPA Report, which also provided comment on outstanding EPA items. In particular it covered the issue of procedures to combat illegal dumping, and an interim report on Terminals request for the stopping of monitoring on the East side of Mackenzie Road.

I

ITEM 5.       PROCESS (WITH KEY DATES) FOR DEVELOPING THE NEXT EIP         (TERMINALS)

 

This matter was deferred to the August meeting.

 

 

ITEM 6.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

None

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 

 

Next meeting date: 30th August, 2012 at 6:30 pm at the city of Maribyrnong.

 

The last meeting for 2012 will be held at the Terminals Coode Island office on Wednesday 28th November, 2012 at 3pm, commencing with a site inspection.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED  9:15 PM