COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Wednesday 6th February 2013

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Gary OÕSullivan

Operations Manager, Geelong Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

 

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

 

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups / Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Peter La Rose, Theo Pykoulas,  Deborah Macfarlane

 

Draft Agenda - confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 28th November, 2012             REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

The Draft Minutes of the 28th November, 2012 meeting were adopted.

 

Action Items

 

08/2012/2

Theo to follow up with MFB to reinstate the page on the Industry is your Neighbour page showing nominated neighbours.

Theo not in attendance – deferred.

11/2012/4

Jessamy to confirm EPA IT representative to attend 18 July 2013 meeting, to advise on the new client management system, and the availability of company related licences, audits, works approvals and permits on the EPA web site.

Robin to ring EPA and find out EPA representative and ask if a member of the Information Technology department can attend and write if need be.

 

ACTION

Robin to contact EPA to request an IT representative to attend the 18 July 2013 CICCC meeting, and write if need be.

 

11/2012/5

Carlo to send Robin new consolidated EIP 2013-2016

Will discuss in Item 4 of Agenda.

 


 

ITEM 3.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

 

TERMINALS REPORT

 

Carlo

Discussed the three incidents with a severity 2 rating.

 

 

 

The first concerned a customer complaint about products aboard a ship having a high moisture content. When the products were tested from the tanks at the facility, they were within specification.

 

The second concerned a tallow spill at the top of a tank, which caused a tank dip surveyor to slip and injure his elbow. Operators and inspectors were reminded to clean up spills immediately.

 

The third incident involved product seen weeping from the base of Tank 46, holding potassium hydroxide. The tank was emptied and inspected, and small fatigue cracks were found in the bottom plate welds. No problem with the welds had been noticed in previous inspections.

 

 

Upgraded all tanks over 10 years.  Testing companies now indicate when tank should be tested again due to amount of corrosion etc. 

The tank involved had oil sand between concrete base and bottom of tank (as do all new tanks).

 

 

Worksafe is moving to longer period between inspection times.

 

Gary

A Risk Assessment will be conducted to determine the risk associated with extending the timeframe, the history of the tank and discuss the report provided on the last inspection.

 

Carlo

I will do a summary at the end of the year and notify committee when we intend to extend the inspections of the tanks.

 

Gary

We extended the period at Geelong as it affected the customer supply chain.

 

Ian

Risk Assessment allows for different conclusions depending on product contained.

 

Gary

That scenario is taken into account as some products are more corrosive than others.

 

Gary

Worksafe sanctioned the extended time for inspections at Geelong.

 

Faye

Terminals should be looking into it in more depth.  A quality control measure; an opportunity to do a root cause analysis.  More preventative and predictive.  Look for a common thread.

 

Carlo

This was a one off incident. If we have another one we will compare them.

 

Faye

For the moment IÕm not concerned with another incident, but IÕm concerned with starting a database to look for trends should such events such as this occur.

 

Carlo

Welding techniques have changed over time, making it difficult to get much out of a comparison of historic records.

 

Ian

I would look at original test reports, get some people in to look, with that knowledge build a database.

 

Robin

Would it be worth taking the inspection reports and to the people that did the work and have them comment.

 

Carlo

We use a tank engineering company, we could have them look at the two reports.

 

ACTION

Carlo to report back after getting independent tank engineers to note any anomalies between the reports on the Tank 46 welds on bottom plates by the two different companies.

 

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

Not in attendance.

 

CITY OF MARYIBYRNONG

 

Not in attendance.

                   

ITEM 4.       Terminals presentation of 2013 – 2016 EIP

 

 

Carlo

Carlo made some updated of the EIP wording during the meeting.

 

Robin

Commented on the wording of the energy saving investigation and need for a  report to CICCC regarding the viability of installing solar panels.

 

Carlo

I think Paul Hayward has commissioned a company to give a quote.  Will report back next meeting.

 

ACTION

Carlo to send to Robin the completed 2013 – 2016 EIP in full, and Robin to check it for completeness and then post it to the CICCC web site.

 

Carlo

The front page used to have sign off page by EPA, Terminals etc.

 

Robin

The GCEG discussed this matter at Geelong, and the Committee decided that signatures do not add any value.

 

Carlo

External audit now every 2 years (at both Coode and Corio, in alternate years).  If anything more comes out of the forthcoming meeting of the EPA Working Party on accredited licenses, I will bring it to the GCEG.

 

Bro

Once accredited licenses were the shining light. Now everyone has one and they are not being checked up on.  Concerned about the lack of structure.

 

Carlo

EPA has increased compliance audits.  Not sure about EPA long term plan.  Reviewing whole works approval process.

 

Robin

Carlo suppose the regime was changed so external audit was no longer required. Would you continue to commission external audits?

 

Carlo

Yes, it doesnÕt hurt to have outside opinion. Down the track 5-10 years things might change.

 

Robin

Lets build into that letter that EPA visit and talk about emerging philosophy and give overview of the reviews into accredited licences and the Works Approvals.

 

Bro

We used to know what the system was but now we donÕt.

 

Carlo

IÕm more interested in what they are doing with Works Approvals.

 

ACTION

Robin to write a letter to Cheryl Bagatol asking if EPA could attend and discuss its emerging philosophy and give an overview of the reviews into accredited licences and the Works Approvals.

 

Ian

Licensing and Works Approval covers everything of importance.

 

 

ITEM 5.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

1.

Outline of Maintenance Planner

 

Robin

Carlo can I confirm that I can put on website

 

Carlo

Yes

 

 

ACTION

Robin to post the Maintenance Planner outline to the CICCC web site.

 

 

2.

Review of CICCC meeting times and locations

 

Ian

I would personally stick to Maribyrnong offices, more convenient for those who work wiser in evenings.

 

Robin

Is there any support moving to 1 here and 3 at Maribyrnong.

 

Michael

Also thought it beneficial for Maribyrnong.

 

Faye

Daytime meeting not an issue.

 

Robin

Will take up at 3rd meeting and discuss on the July agenda.

 

 

3.

Webinar

 

Ian

On the 19th February during afternoon /evening there is a Safety Case3 ÒWebinarÓ.  The intent Risk Engineering Society guidelines to be upgraded and made more relevant.

Consider where Safety Case model can be used more broadly.

Running at Engineers House.  Think we should be involved.

 

 

4.

Asset Management Council

 

Ian

We were not able to manage a time for Terminals Pty to attend a meeting of the Asset Management Council at the last meeting.  Certainly think they would be interested to talk about Maintenance System.

 

Carlo

Send us details and we will consider.

 

 

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 

 

Meeting dates for 2013

Thursday 11 April, 2013 (MCC 6:30pm), Thursday 18th July, 2013 (MCC 6:30pm), Wednesday 6th November, 2013 (site, 3pm).

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 4:30pm