COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

Wednesday, 4th February. 2014

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Deborah McFarlane

Community Rep./Committee

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Theo Pykoulas

City of Maribyrnong

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Carlo Fasolino

State Manager Victoria, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Operations Manager – West Melbourne

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups / Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – No apologies

 

Draft Agenda - confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 25 OCTOBER 2013 REVIEW             ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 25th October, 2013 adopted.

 

Outstanding Action Items

 

10/2013/2

 

Carlo

Showed original principles for discussion.

 

Robins three new principles, which the committee has recommended to Terminals to be added to the five existing principles in Section 4.1 of the EIP, were:-

 

Š      Being a good neighbor to its surrounding industries (local businesses) and wider community, by being open with information (consistent with privacy requirements of clients), and supportive of community development.

Š      Behaving ethically in its dealings with clients, suppliers, regulators and the wider community.

Š      Recognizing the importance of sustainable development, and incorporating this goal into its decision making.

 

 

I suggest we rename them as Principles Guiding Terminals relationship with the community. After speaking with George he would like measurable objectives to go with these principles such as:-

 

Š            To engage with local businesses and the wider community             by:      

o   Publicising and administering a local community grants program

o   Offering to share information with neighbours through CICCC members and, where appropriate, offering briefings to neighbours and elected officials.

Š            Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements related to community engagement and the provision of information to the community, specifically:

o   Distribute relevant safety information every five years

o   Consult with neighbours and CICCC when changes are proposed to the facility, safety or environmental performance.

o   Respond to all requests for information from community in open and timely manner (except when there are commercial confidential issues)

o   Ensure staff always comply with company code of ethics policy

Š            Ensure when evaluating any new proposal the long term implications are also considered.

 

Robin

In the progression from Principles to Objectives and then to Actions, we should recognise that Terminals cannot be comprehensive in the list of actions. Setting up guiding principles will allow Terminals to compare new initiatives and actions against these broad principles.

Carlo

Based on what George said he wants to see measurable things.

Faye

One does need to set desirable outcomes

Robin

That is what the EIP is for.  These all come within those parameters.  The additional principles bring forward a broader view.

Faye

We should be looking at the next 3-5 years.

Robin

Well put them into the EIP

Michael

Change wording of measurable objectives to frame them as examples.

Carlo

I looked at adding the 3 dot points and added objectives against each point.

Robin

This has been a good discussion,  and I anticipate that Carlo will review the outcome and come back for further discussion next meeting

Bro

I agree with Michael some measurable objectives.  Matter of where they slot.  Between motherhood and broader finding where they go in the structure.

Carlo

Discussion point, need to have George approve.

Robin

Carlo can you print out Environment Policy.

Carlo

Can print out now (handed out copies)

Robin

I have suggested my 3 dot points be added to the end of the EIP.  Philosophy and Procedures Section 4.1

 

Is that a sufficient policy to guide a company in 2014 having a broader set of principles?

Deborah

I think every 5 years is not often enough.  I think information on what to do in an emergency needs to go out every 3 years.

Robin

George focused on things that are measurable but was really talking about objectives.

Ian

Sustainable growth activity.  Or use the work sustainable progress.

Theo

Distinction of what Terminals wants to project in the future rather than the CICCC.

Robin

The CICCC sees the list of principles as a little narrow at the moment.  Whereas George sees it as leading to measurable outcomes.  Remember measurable objectives would need to be framed for the 3 dot points I raised plus the other 5 dot points.

 

All Terminals’ initiatives and proposals would be reviewed to ensure that they are compatible with the “guiding principles”.  This is an ongoing process.

 

I note that the 3 new “guiding principles” are a little broader than those 5 in the Environment Policy already. As Carlo said, the three new points are a bit like a mission statement.

 

The 5 existing points could come under the new “Sustainable Development” principle.

 

Some will have measurable objectives.  Examples of how you make them measurable.

Carlo

If anyone has suggestions of what to add let me know.  I will incorporate some of the changes and send out tomorrow.

10/2013/3

 

Robin

I tried to contact David Barry (email and left phone messages) but I heard nothing from him.  EPA have forums they invite people to which I feel are not particularly open to ideas and do not meet community or committee needs as I perceive them. I do not think EPA’s idea of forums meets the needs of the members of this committee.

Faye

EPA are effectively withdrawing from accountability.

Ian

I feel they hide behind Freedom of Information act.

Michael

I wonder if a very low key approach to Cheryl Bagatol to have a word about David, as I saw total surprise that we asked for a copy of the Power Point presentation.

Deborah

David said he would look into it but he hasn’t.

Robin

I suggest that I draft a list of expectations we have of agency representatives at our meetings, and when that is refined we can send it to agencies for comment and agreement.

Deborah

Maybe a letter to Cheryl stating that we were a little disappointed about the last speakers presentation and then say about the list of expectations.

Michael

Until recent event with EPA some others were very good at saying they did not have the answers and would get back to us and have served committee well.

Robin

A preamble to the list of expectations would acknowledge some excellent representation in the past.  Draw attention to positive things in the past.

Bro

I support Robin’s proposal as this will tackle the problem at a strategic level.

Deborah

That we are a little disappointed should be conveyed in the letter.  Might have been a misunderstanding of what is required.

ACTION

Robin to draft a list of our expectations, to guide  people coming to our meetings who are unfamiliar with our normal procedures. After the committee has vetted the draft, we will circulate it to agencies asking for their endorsement.

10/2013/4

Carlo to review greenhouse table in the report to reflect throughput.  Complete. See later discussion under Item 4, Terminals’ report.

10/2013/5

Ian to send the paper on Vegetable Oil Fuel to Robin for circulation.  Ian will email tomorrow.

ACTION

Ian to email the Vegetable Oil Fuel paper to Robin for circulation.

 

ITEM 3.       COMMUNITY GRANTS

Carlo

Explained the Community Grants program conducted at Geelong, the role of the TGCEG, and the success of that program.  Would like to do the same at the CICCC.

Robin

To avoid difficulties experienced in Geelong maybe we should identify specific suburbs for general public to look at applying.

Bro

Feel you should swap point 2 with point 6.

Robin

Rule out landscaping because so easy to get done once then fall into neglect.

Bro

Projects should be viable in their own right.  Leave for next level of assessment.

Michael

Project able to be completed with a one off donation

Robin

Change incorporated to “constituted” eg bank account number and ABN.

Ian

Change wording to organization.

Robin

Whatever the words the term “Not-for-Profit” in hyphenation needs to be added.

Carlo

Thinking about putting a form on the website so it can be downloaded, completed and posted to Terminals.

Robin

Grants are a great idea and commend Terminals.

 

The committee thoroughly supported Terminals proposed initiative.

 

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

CITY OF MARIBYRONG

 

Theo

Nothing in the way of planning that would affect Terminals.

 

I have a change of role – Manager Risk & Emergency Management, Public Liability Prevention.

 

Council having a change in focus – previous Coode Island budget for providing catering has been cut at meetings.

 

Š                  Priority is to maintain assets,

Š                  Council corporate plan renewal of the city,

Š                  Maintenance of ageing infrastructure

Š                  Going back to straight business plan to focus more on core         council activities

 

Within three years Council plans to have zero debt. I will send council plan to Robin for distribution.  Strict business plan that council is sticking to in the future.

Robin

Who is the CEO?

Theo

Vince Haining

ACTION

Theo to send Council Plan to Robin for distribution.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

Not in attendance.  No report issued.

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Gary

Discussed the incidents.

 

Incident on 17/10/13 – Electrical connection to circuit breaker.  Conducted a Tool Box on site with contractors to highlight fault.  This was a manufacturing fault.  All sites were made aware of fault.

 

Incident on 21/10/13 – Hose fell - Conducted Tool Box talk.

 

Incident on 22/10/13 – Horseplay incident where ball was being kicked around the room hitting operator in the eye – Tool Box talk conducted.

 

Incident on 12/11/13 – Slopping hose connection fitting broke – Inspect all other similar fittings, since modified piece of equipment.

 

Incident 3/01/14 – Truck driver medical condition whilst on site, operators providing medical assistance.

 

Incident on 22/01/14 – Operator slipped – Elevated floor, new concrete base.

Robin

Report was excellent.  Concerning the incident on 17/10/13, a note that the supplier had rectified the faults at no cost to Terminals would have been useful.

Ian

Terminals reporting is excellent. 

Graphs

 

Robin

Bottom graph tells me the best information.

Carlo

2002 Combustor came on, 2003 massive throughput.

Robin

Need to put a footnote saying electricity, gas and diesel usage.  Another footnote against 2003 and 2004 explaining high level of usage.

Carlo

The big change was gas usage.

Robin

Write a little preamble at top about the history to enable better understanding of the graph.

Carlo

Instead of showing throughput show overall emissions compared to now.

Robin

Like the idea of having more than 1 chart middle one not required.

Ian

We should be looking at figures holding or steady decrease.

ACTION

Carlo to further refine the way information on throughput and greenhouse gases for the April meeting.

Carlo

I wish to let you all know the company is up for sale.

 

ITEM 5.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

Ian

Proximity between industries and sensitive communities.  This morning I went on official visit to Gellibrand.  BAE systems are concerned as are Mobil.  Neither EPA nor Worksafe have made submissions to VCAT.   The paper on vegetable oil as fuel, I will email to you; it is to become a thesis.

Robin

PADHI could you put in a website link to that.

ACTION

Ian to email Robin a link to the PADHI website for distribution to the committee.

 

ITEM 6.       SITE INSPECTION

 

We will have a site inspection at the end of the year, too late in the day now to go on a site inspection.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS: 

 

Meeting dates for 2014

Tuesday 22 April – 3pm at the Maribyrnong Council Municipal Office.  Tuesday, 12 August, 3pm at the Maribyrnong Council Municipal Office; and Tuesday 11th November – 3pm at Terminals Coode Island office.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 6:00pm