COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 10th February 2015

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd Coode Island Site Office

3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Jodie Georgiou

Manager, Major Hazards Program, Worksafe

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Don McKenzie

Operations Manager (Geelong), Terminals Pty Ltd

Joan Thomas

Community Rep.

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

 

Deborah McFarlane

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Welcome

 

Apologies – Michael Isaacson; Stephen Lewis. Ian Thomas advised he would be late due to another business meeting, and Joan Thomas represented him until his arrival

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       BRIEF PRESENTATION BY JODIE GEORGIOU, MANAGER OF MAJOR HAZARDS, WORKSAFE

 

Jodie

Distributed “Major Hazards Program Update”

 

The Health and Safety Operational areas were restructured in mid-2014.  Workforce reduction will impact on licensing at Major Hazard facilities.

Faye

Has there been any reduction in staff within the Hygiene Unit?

Jodie

No; only that they have merged with Dangerous Goods unit.  Still Hygiene Unit but report to the one manager.

 

We now sit under the Head Of Operations and Hazardous Industries.

 

Realignment of groups – Projects and specialist teams and reorganized field operations teams.  We did lose 2 positions which obviously impacts our skills set.

Joan

How many staff is there in MHF?

Jodie

17 within both the Inspectorate Field Team and the Safety Analyst Team.  This includes the Major Hazards Manager and the Group Leader of the Inspectorate Field Team.  Three of those personnel within the Safety Analyst Team work part time.

 

2014 we went to Victorian Workcover Association branding. At the beginning of February 2015 it was announced we would go back to Worksafe branding.

 

 

Activities for 2014 included:-

Š                  Licenses assessed and renewed for 6 MHF’s

Š                  26 Annual Inspections and 5 Verifications

Š                  No incident classified as “Serious” by Major Hazards in         2014

Š                  New independent chair appointed for the Major Hazard Advisory Committee (MHAC). Its first meeting was held in December 2014.

 

 

All activities can be found listed on the website.

Faye

Is there random visiting of the sites?  Do you collect all the data relating to the site?

Jodie

We do an annual inspection every year on all the MHF’s.  We also have an Oversight Program where they will get regular visits.  If we want specific information we will go and ask the operators.  We physically go out and look for the things we want to know.  Looking at the systems on site, we choose randomly what we want to look at.

Faye

There must be common denominators for each site?

Jodie

We really could not do that as we are looking at possibly thousands of items.

Robin

Within the group is there a list of high level risks that you concentrate on rather than low level risks?

Jodie

We do not look at it that way.  A site like this we could be looking for the possibility of a fire for example in a tank farm.  Whereas others we would look for something else.

Robin

Do you focus on what is in their Safety Case?

Jodie

We look at controls in place and whether they are satisfactory.  For example we may look at manual handling tasks.  We cover all aspects of the OHS and DG Regulations.

Faye

Would it help if companies provided 30 data points from every site?

Jodie

If other companies have similar things we will check across all those companies.

 

Keith Brown is the new chair of MHAC. Attendees at the meeting held in December 2014 included PACIA, Unions, CFA, MFB.  Future meetings are scheduled for March, July and November 2015.

 

Activities planned for 2015 include:-

Š                  31 Annual Inspections and 2 Verifications and

Š                  2 MHF’s in assessment for re-licensing.

Š                  Due to changes to field team new risk based approach is to     be implanted for 2015 Annual Inspections

Š                  Training of new MHF inspectors is underway (internal and         external)

Š                  Developing a strategy for delivering stakeholder training         prior to 4th round

Š                  MHAC meetings scheduled for March, July and November.

Š                  Review of Schedule 9 tables ongoing as part of overall         2017 Regulations review

 

We have 5 new field members.  Going to be “risk” based approach to basically determine a minimum number of controls on each site to ensure we have enough inspectors.

Don

Due to the loss of skilled people do you see any delay in getting Safety Cases through?

Jodie

May need to use consultants we know are capable that we have used before to do assessment.  Trying to hold on to the 2 Principal Analysts as long as we have budget to do so.

Faye

Do you envisage the safety profile to be compromised using consultants?

Jodie

No.  We would use consultants to undertake Safety Case assessment, as we have done in previous re-licencing periods. The work of consultants is reviewed by current Safety Analysts and each consultant is overseen by a Safety Analyst during the assessment period. 

Faye

There can be problems with this I believe.

Jodie

We do not have the resources internally to assess all of the safety cases that will be submitted in the next licensing period.  Consultants have been used in the past who are familiar with the process and what is expected.

Robin

Safety Inspections – do you prioritise the detail of your inspections using a risk based approach?

Jodie

We have looked at the history of a particular site.  We will still be looking at the major risk controls.  If they had a good history they will receive fewer visits.

Robin

Has the implementation of the MHF system proved to be effective?

Jodie

Yes

Robin

Has it been copied from somewhere else?

Jodie

Yes Europe, from incidents that happened in Europe, SEVESO.  Originally stems from there.  Safety Cases have been off shore for a long time.

Robin

Has the Major Hazard process been copied by any other states?

Jodie

Yes.  Same regulations across the states.  Victoria was actually one of the drivers of the National Model even though Victoria chose not to adopt it.  Trying to aim for some consistency across the states.

Deb

We could write to the government to push for the government to adopt the National Model.

ACTION

Jodie to enquire within Worksafe on the decision relating to adopting the National Standards.

Robin

Lack of supply of petroleum in Australia.  Is that an issue that Worksafe would focus on?

Jodie

Only if someone said they were going to build a Major Hazard Facility.

Robin

Is VIVA at Geelong still a MHF?

Jodie

Yes we get involved before any new MHF is going to build.

Robin

Thanks Jodie for attending the meeting and for the interesting presentation.

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 11th NOVEMBER, 2014          REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 11th November 2014 adopted.

 

Don

Mentioned to the committee that George Horman is retiring.

ACTION

Robin to write a letter of appreciation to be sent to George on behalf of the committee.

10/2013/2

Don will talk to Stephen again regarding the principles upon which Terminals policies are founded.  Could be delayed until CEO appointed.

04/2014/1

Foti is absent from meeting.  We are hoping he attends when Maribyrnong CEO attends in May 2015.

11/2014/2

Solar panels in the EIP.

Don

To make it viable will need to have a base load (constant need for supply).  If we have a base load we can then use the solar on that particular item.

 

The return on paying it back into the grid is nowhere near where households get.

Bro

Best way is to get 3 suppliers to put in a competitive bid.  Market very competitive anyway.

Don

Good idea to see if they come up with some aspects we have not thought about.

11/2014/4

Gary to draft a new text about the history of Terminals facility at Coode Island for the CICCC website.

Gary

I am looking at the website with Cliftons who are going to do a complete overhaul of the information.

Robin

The content of the website is outdated.  We still need that content now.

Gary

We will get onto it.

11/2014/3

Complete

11/201/5

Complete

 

ITEM 4.       PROGRESS REPORT ON THE COMMUNITY GRANTS INITIATIVE          (TERMINALS PTY LTD)

Sue

As per Stephen Walls’ response to letter sent to him by Robin, I rang Mr Arden Joseph.  Mr Joseph’s secretary referred me to Lynley Dumble (Manager Community Infrastructure and Social Development) at the council.  When I rang Lynley she was not in for the day, I then found an email address and sent her an email outlining the Grants Program and requested her assistance in finding worthy recipients within the community.

Lynley then replied and is happy to help promote these grants to the local community groups.

 

ITEM 5.       REPORT FROM TERMINALS AND AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Don

Appointments:

David Bozinoski, our CFO, has been appointed Acting CEO for the interim due to George retirement with a view to the appointment of a permanent CEO within about the next 6 months.

 

Doug Eng has been appointed the new Chief Operating Officer

 

 

Don

Discussed the Severity 2 incidents.

 

Incident 11/12/14 – Contractor strained back.  Action is to review contractor JSA’s.

 

Incident 17/12/14 – Over pressurized hose flew off pig breach just missing operator.  Action is to Tool Box meeting on risk of stored energy.  Also investigate a number of passing valves.

Deb

What is a Tool Box?

Don

A Tool Box is an informal Safety Meeting on topical items.  Use them to refresh everyone skills as over time complacency sets in.

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

No report received prior to the meeting.

 

ITEM 6.       REVIEW OF WEBSITE

 

Don

Website – Long term CICCC will be part of Terminals website.

Robin

Feel that after receiving information from Rob Black regarding interest in website; the data reflects that if CICCC website was folded into Terminals site there would be 1% chance of people finding the CICCC.

Don

I feel that CICCC would have been getting a lot of people looking for ICC (cricket).  As a company we are moving to a centralized website in the same location.  People will then get the whole picture.

Robin

I think people know about Coode Island.

Don

The new website will have all the site names.  If someone types in Coode it will be included in the whole Terminals website.

Robin

We need to update the content of the website whether or not the hosting arrangements change.

Don

You will continue to have all editorial rights.

Faye

If Coode Island is a lead word to bring up CICCC in Terminals website that would be okay.

Bro

Nearly everyone does a google search in their own words.  Making sure a descriptor is easy in key words.

Robin

Back in 1996 we established CICCC principles and that was to be independent of Terminals.  Even agency representatives did not sit at the main table at the first coupe of meetings.  Notwithstanding that we do not have a proposal from Don yet.

Don

Will write something up for next time we meet.

ACTION

Don to prepare a proposal for the web site for the next meeting.

Robin

At the end of the day if is up to Terminals to decide as they pay for the website.  If it was a view of CICCC members that the CICCC web site be separate and not paid for by Terminals, then I suspect the website would not continue.

I should draw attention to the large number of visits that last less than 30 seconds

General discussion

Speculation about the reasons for such visits, which due to the limited time are surely people looking for other sites.

 

ITEM 7.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

Robin

Visit by Laura Kewley interview of Robin

 

Radio management wanted the interview cut down to 4 minutes.  I have not heard anything more.  Would like to have the committee’s endorsement to have the questions and answers of the interview put on the CICCC website.

 

Agreed.

Bro

Maybe we also put on You Tube as well as on the website.  If she has produced something that is having very little use then put on You Tube.  Might be worthwhile raising the idea with her.

Robin

I was thinking more of what was available to us.

Don

Terminals have in the past conducted Open Days.

Robin

Terminals has opened its sites for inspections on several occasions and is now open to interested local resident wishing to have a site tour.

Don

When you have completed the final draft I would like to distribute to Terminals people.

ACTION

On receipt of copy of edited Questions and Answers, Don to advise any comments from senior management.

ACTION

Robin to explore options for making the material public with Laura.

Robin

Brendan Grimes rang a week ago he was putting in an application for a Child Care Centre.  Looking for some words of comfort that it was good being so close to Mobil as he was having trouble with planning permit.  Would be situation on Hyde Street up towards Mobil site, north of Mobil.  I told him that Terminals was a well-managed site.

 

 

Robin

Received an email from Ian today requesting we change the meetings back to the evenings and at the council offices.

Ian

Practical terms sort of activity that I would prefer to be conducted in the evenings.

Don

Put it to a vote and I put forward that we stay with Tuesday meetings at Terminals at 3 pm.

Robin

What are the views of the Community Members? Let’s start with the day of the week.

 

Tuesdays were agreed by consensus.

Faye

Maybe start later at 4pm

Bro

Happy to look at 4pm

 

Discussion then took place. Robin suggested to Ian that he and Joan could share the load of day-time meetings, which Ian responded to positively. In relation to the suggested 4pm starting time, Terminals representatives pointed out that they have a very early start each day, and a later start would add to the time they would be at work.

Robin then suggested that the 3pm at Terminals site office be adopted

Robin

Confirming meetings to be held on Tuesdays at Terminals @ 3pm – Agreed beginning August 2015 meeting.

 

Joan Thomas may be proxy at meetings for Ian.

 

Next meeting 12th May to be at Maribyrnong Council offices.

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:

12 MAY, 2015 ( at MARIBYRNONG CITY COUNCIL)

18TH AUGUST, 2015 (ON SITE AT COODE ISLAND)

24TH NOVEMBER, 2015 (ON SITE AT COODE ISLAND)

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:15pm