COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 12th May, 2015

Held at Maribyrnong City Council

3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Foti Beratis

Maribyrnong City Council

Stephen Wall

CEO Maribyrnong City Council

Peter Dalgleash

Maribyrnong City Council

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen

Community Rep./Committee

Don McKenzie

Victorian Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah McFarlane

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Welcome, how pleased we are to see you here today Stephen, Foti and Peter.  We are most interested in the policy initiatives of the council, the broad picture.

 

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       PRESENTATION BY STEPHEN WALL, CEO MARIBYRNONG CITY         COUNCIL

 

Stephen

I have been the CEO since 22nd October, 2014.  Previously I was Director of Corporate Services at the SurfCoast Shire, 2012 - 2014 and General Manager of Corporate Services at Maribyrnong City Council, 2011 - 2012.  I have spent 18 years in local government, been the CEO three times, 15 years senior management experience, and worked with 6 councils in 3 states including Cobar Shire Council.

 

We have a 140 million dollar budget and it is the smallest and most densely populated council in Victoria.  Currently Maribyrnong City Council has 85,000 people living within its boundaries and it is anticipated by 2031 we will have 115,000 people.  The West is the growth area for Melbourne.

 

The instance where values of properties rise they do not increase the rates.  Council is required to exhibit their budget growth of 3.7%.  When values increase it equates to the distribution increasing.  3.7% is based on councils rating policy CPI + 2% based on asset renewal that they have to maintain.  Over the last 10 years council has been focused on asset renewal as we have an aging infrastructure.  Adopted strategy where we need an extra 2% on top of the rates to accommodate asset renewal gap. 

Deborah

I have noticed council are doing a lot of really attractive landscaping.

Stephen

Council is determined to have open spaces and gardens and has a view on improving open space areas.

Ian

There is talk in either state or federal governments that council should introduce a rate cap.

Stephen

Government was going to introduce a rate cap of 3.7% we are the 4th lowest rates out of 79 councils.  Government has now contracted the Essential Services Commission to have council demonstrate the increase.  Feel it is a disaster amongst councils as those that are doing it tough will have nowhere to go.

Michael

Some council rates are increasing faster than CPI.

Stephen

Federal government gives to states then states give level of grants to councils.

Deborah

Does the council give a pensioner rebate?

Stephen

This council made a decision to give a rebate on top of Government rebate.  In 2000 council debt was $33 million now down to $2.67 million

 

This council has delivered the first ever library to Braybrook, very proud of that achievement.

 

I know the activity of the Port is going to triple.  There will always be growing pains when dealing with the Port.

Little Saigon Welcome Arch – design really well received by community.  Think it is going to be a tourist attraction.  The arch represents a type of bird that is of great significance to the Vietnamese people.

 

The council receives approximately 1,000 applications per week for townhouses / subdivision / extensions on existing homes etc. 

Michael

There is an enormous amount of industrial sites for housing reducing availability for industry.  Is there a change to seek areas for industry?

Stephen

Absolutely.  Increased population projection requires employment opportunities.

Michael

When industry vacates it is forced to be residential due to zoning.

Deborah

If there is going to be a big chemical industry they are forced to go amongst residential.

Stephen

Brooklyn / Tottenham area.  One of the big issues is trucks on the roads.  In the past residents have been allowed to build near industry.  It is what we have today and we have to work with it.

Robin

Along the river front there are offices looking rather smart.  All sorts of small businesses that are not going too badly.

Stephen

We are competing on a global scale and our labor rates are higher.  Seeking a change in face of industry such as the car manufacturing.  Maybe we are moving to a clean industry.

Ian

Is Maribyrnong Council self-insured?

Stephen

No

Ian

The planners in this council could not take risks due to small budget

Stephen

We are insured.  Lloyds of London are the backer for the council.  The EPA introduced buffer zones which impacted on contamination issues.

Faye

So are you monitoring the health effect of environmental pollutants and contaminants?

Stephen

Absolutely.  Council conducts monitoring.  The evolution of residential land abutting industrial land has been over a long period of time.

Faye

I am more interested at looking at outcomes of monitoring.

Foti

Council is a major stake holder with the Brooklyn Community Reference Group and is active.  The data is collected at State level.

Robin

Faye I think the way to pursue this is to focus on the EPA and Department of Health.

Foti Beratis

Might be better to contact the EPA.

Robin

Faye would like to know the state of the health of residents.

Faye

Hazardous levels, more high rise and increased traffic.

Ian

The question of proximity, example recently that planning department refused an application to develop a Child Minding Centre.

Stephen

Increased community expectations we are such a diverse community.  External funding is getting tighter.  Formerly 100% funded by state now 60/40 with council picking up larger sum.

 

Western Distributor proposal – government asked “if you have a business and have any ideas come see us”.  Trans Urban approached the government with its proposal of a tunnel.

 

There is a long process for when a proposal becomes a project.

 

The proposal is still a problem with transport as tunnels cannot be used by placarded trucks.

 

Robin

Thanked Stephen for his attendance.  Requested a copy of the overheads and will send Stephen a copy of the committee’s guidelines for those attending the meetings.

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 10th FEBRUARY, 2015            REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 10TH February, 2015 adopted.

 

Action Items deferred to next meeting.

 

ITEM 4.       PROGRESS REPORT ON THE COMMUNITY GRANTS INITIATIVE          (TERMINALS PTY LTD)

Sue

Received several worthwhile applications for grants.

1.    Foodbank – Donation

2.    L2R Next Gen Inc - $2,680 – Donation to enable children to attend Hip Hop dance class lessons

3.    Angliss Children’s Centre - $3,000 – Funds to have a mural painted on the wall of the children’s center.

4.    Doutta Galla Lynch’s Bridge Aged Care Facility - $5,760 – Funds to build a therapeutic garden

5.    Footscray Maker Co-Operative - $3,750 – “Let’s Make Kids Workshops” to provide a place for creative people, artists and designers to come together to share knowledge, collaborate and co-create in a variety of projects and initiatives.

6.    Westgate Multiple Birth Association - $1,768 – Hold workshops to improve support networks and decreased isolation for parents and their children.

7.    U3A Footscray Inc - $1,000 – The grant would assist in putting together an Art & Creative Writing Exhibition to be part of October 2015 Seniors Week Celebrations.

8.    Western Crusaders Gridiron Club - $519/bench – To provide seating for parents and spectators during the game.  Each seat provides seating for 7 people.

9.    Footscray West Primary School - $500 – Assist with costs for the 2015 Centenary celebrations.

Sue

Explained the original criteria was donations for “not for profit” organizations.  The Footscray Maker Co-Operative is a “for profit” organization so felt they should be eliminated.

Don

Foodbank is worthwhile cause but the aim is to have a return benefit.

Faye

Multiple births worthwhile.

Ian

Suggest give a tick for each to get a split of the funds available and give them $1,000 each.  Good response, interesting group.

Don

Need to see a completion of project, if we give only part payment might not see a completion.

Robin

Sue to contact them and seek feedback on part payment. The Committee supports all the “live” proposals, and leaves it to Terminals PL to decide on the allocation of available funds, which will be guided by the feedback from the submitters on the issue of part payment, and by the need to see completed projects.

 

ITEM 5.       REPORT FROM TERMINALS AND AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

Don

 

 

Doug Eng has been appointed the new Chief Operating Officer

 

Beginning of year has been good. 

Lost Time Injuries -  Nil; last Minor Work Injury – 22/1/2014

George retired end of February and Carlo end of March this year.

Follow up site visit from WorkSafe

Bund upgrade on Plant B completed

Installation of bund foam pourer system nearing completion.

Don

Discussed the Severity 2 incidents.

 

M/15/02 - While unloading at Transpacific waste tanker into Tank 24 the HI HI alarm had activated.  The pump was immediately shutdown.  Noticed product had run down the side of Tank 24.  Then gravitated product out of Tank 24 to Tank 25 to take it out of alarm.  Approximately 40 litres was lost and was recovered from the low point drain in the bund.  This was returned to the slops tank.

All clean water but could have contained chemicals.  More due diligence to slops instigated.

Robin

Management actions should be noted on report.

Don

Agreed to include actions in report.

 

M/15/03 – Identified paint blistering and staining on tank shell coming from under stair tread.  No spill was a good pick up by Superintendent.  Drained tank, welded pin hole that caused blistering.

Robin

I imagine a pin hole crack can occur at any time so something to watch for.

Gary

Operators had a Toolbox to make them aware to be more vigilant.

Don

M/15/05 – Discrepancy in stock movement figures.  Only thing we can put it down to was the ships loading calculations.  Customer loss possibly could have been insurance claim.  Terminals in the clear as had 2 independent figures that agreed with each other.

 

M/15/06 – Audit found nonconformance in quarterly monitoring tests for August 2014.  We believe it was a breakdown of vegetation which raised TOC reading and advised EPA.  External auditor found discrepancy.

 

 

 

Solar Company – Cola Solar put forward proposal for 96kW and 23kW systems.

Intention to take to new board to test their metal and see how they take to green energy.  If they proceed they will get another 2 quotes. 

Robin

This is the end result of 5 years of pushing.  A tribute to the current management team.

Don

I am a fan of solar energy; I think it has good potential.

 

 

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

No report received prior to meeting.

 

ITEM 6.       SIX MONTHLY REVIEW OF THE ENVIRONMENT IMPROVEMENT PLAN

 

 

Don

The site is working on risk based monitoring.

Š                  Portable turbidity meters

Š                  Sparge curtain – we are going to talk to the EPA about         turning it off.  We are getting nil results.  We pay a large fee         for servicing.  Results are so low.  We will see what the EPA         says.

Š                  Installation of clay liner is now complete.

Š                  Waste disposal via EPA dockets is low.

Š                  Combustor to low fire at night

Faye

Greenhouse emissions – all chemical waste thru burner – look at report as higher now I think.

Don

Depends on the mix of products.  We are going to conduct environmental training for all our operators.  More an awareness program.

Robin

I would prefer to see reports such as this one circulated to the Committee a week before meetings, so members can read the report and think about it.  Use a format just to summarize and any additional comments. 

 

ITEM 7.       REVIEW OF WEBSITE

 

Robin

I have been concerned that the overview of the site on the website was out of date.  Don and Kalia have reviewed it and there are only a few edits needed now before it is complete. When this is done I will have it loaded on the website. Members can all have a look at it and if you wish to make any comments please let me know.

 

ITEM 8.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

Ian

I was tempted to question Stephen Wall; showed population now and predicted.  In my further study - fundamental problem with fuel.  Not possible to service population with fuel.  Now studying sociology “Economic Sustainability and growth”.  The reality is we cannot keep going like we have been.

Action Item

Robin will propose a list of dates for the 2016 meetings prior to the next meeting.

 

 

 

Next meeting 18th AUGUST, 2015 to be on site at Coode Island

 

NEXT SCHEDULED MEETINGS:

 

24TH NOVEMBER, 2015 (ON SITE AT COODE ISLAND)

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:15pm