COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 1st December, 2015

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd,

70-78 Mackenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton

Community Rep./Committee

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Operations Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen

Community Rep./Committee

Don McKenzie

Victorian Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah McFarlane

Community Rep./Committee

 

Richard Gerrardi

Manager, EPA Major Industries Program

 

Heather Hutchinson

EPA

 

 

The CICCC meeting was preceded by a site inspection, attended by most of those attending the meeting.

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, GROUP PHOTO, APOLOGIES &      CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

Robin

Welcome.

 

Group Photo taken

 

Apologies – None

 

Draft Agenda – Confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING 18 August 2015, REVIEW     ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Draft Minutes of the 18th August, 2015 adopted.

 

Action Items

 

10/2013/2

Additional principles upon which Terminals policies are founded for approval and adoption. - Don to take this up with David Bozinoski

11/2014/2

Solar Panels – Passed 1st Budget.  Looks like they are going to be the go.

02/2015/3

Website - With the change in ownership there have been many pressing targets to complete within a short timeframe.  The completion of the new company website has been put back due to higher priority goals.  The current web sites will continue to remain and be updated

08/2015/1

Robin to invite David Bozinoski to the first meeting in 2016 – to be actioned now following the December meeting

08/2015/3

Robin discussed again the redundancy of what is on the web at the moment, Annual Reports to EPA, Annual Reports to the Community, new format annual statements to EPA etc. Robin observed that the new format annual statements to EPA, only 2 to 4 pages long, provided an inadequate reporting mechanism to the CICCC and the wider community, a point that was not disputed. It would seem that the previous format of an Annual report to the community would best satisfy the need for a comprehensive public annual report. Robin drew attention to the absence of any report since 2012-13, and the need for this matter to be rectified.

ACTION

It has been over two years since we have been presented with any annual report.  Annual reports, similar to the previous Community Reports, for 2013 - 2014 and 2014 - 2015 years, would appear to best address the need for an annual report and should be provided to the committee for information, and be placed on the CICCC web site.

 

ITEM 3.       PRESENTATION BY HEATHER HUTHCINSON (EPA) AND RICHARD      GERRARDI, Manager of the EPA’s Major Industries Program

Richard

I am part of a Specialist Regulatory Unit within the EPA.

 

Presentation - slides

 

From an environmental perspective there are control measures in place that are designed to test the robustness of the facility to manage their systems.

Ian

I am concerned about pipelines and I am interested to learn that Worksafe do not regulate these and the separation distances.

Richard

EPA is interested in loss of containment.

Ian

Pipelines are one of the biggest causes of incidents.

Don

Most of the pipelines have meters either end to alert if there is a leak.

Deborah

Self-assessment does bother me.

Richard

External verification tends to provide another lense.  Creates a different conversation between regulator and operator.  We are collecting a database of information.  Developing intelligence based planning.

If we assess an industry we will look at industry controls where we look at the control of how they manage their risk.

Faye

What standards are being used?  A lot of the data is set from the States and are out of date.

Heather

I can find out for you.  These policies are developed over 2 ½ years.  I can certainly put you in touch with the public processes, discussion papers and point you to where you can find the information.

Bro

I have been on 12 to 15 advisory EPA committees over the years.  There is little commitment now at the EPA to engage in stake holder processes.

Heather

What sort of forums work for you?

Robin

Engagement processes where all stakeholders are brought together.

Heather

Our reference groups consist of 12 to 15 representatives from peak community groups from around the state.  Do not meet as a joint collective.

Robin

We are looking back to the 90’s time where there was a general commitment to bring together representatives of agencies, industry and the community.  We now have selected groups meeting, that does not allow for cross fertilization between the community, government and industry sectors.

Bro

Does not happen in government these days.

Michael

Bro’s views are very relevant.  Would be good for EPA to look back at previous practices.

ACTION

Richard to find out what standards are in use in Victoria to regulate pipelines, and who regulates the different standards, and advise the CICCC following the December meeting.

Heather

Presentation on Scheduled Premises Regulations Review

 

If a representative of this group would like to be included with the EPA in the community engagement group we could arrange that to happen.  We need information from you to enable us to make good decisions.

Robin

We are indebted to you for attending today.  The committee has not had much contact with EPA over the past several years.  I came across the review and requested Heather to attend the meeting today to explain the review.

Heather

Discussion paper EPA is how we get message out there.  Members of community organizations tend to get emails of notifications of these reviews.  Criticism is important especially when it comes with ideas.

Faye

There are many people in community that are interested in what the EPA does.

Heather

Regulatory Impact Statement – all public can comment. 

Deborah

Doubt self-regulation works.  Did you find self-regulation reliable?  Have there been academic assessments in the past?

Robin

EPA self-regulation is where Terminals is expected to do enough monitoring and is required to get external audits conducted to satisfy EPA requirements.

Richard

Regulations surrounding self-regulation involves self-assessment.  We look at regulations and assess how site can comply.  We evaluate risks and put in steps to control those risks.  EPA checks those controls and what monitoring is being carried out.

 

We have 670 licensed sites and 10-12 accredited sites.

Ian

I am a strong believer in prescribed regulation.

Heather

There are pros and cons of introducing tiers of licenses.  I encourage you to all look at discussion paper and provide feedback on website.  I will send link to Robin. 

Robin

Would you both send me via emails your overheads?  Appreciate your contact and attending today

ACTION

Heather to email copies of the two presentations.

 

 

Web pages that detail a number of reviews and reference groups are as follows:

 

1.     Scheduled Premises Review – link to webpage for Discussion Paper and details as to how to submit comments: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/our-work/setting-standards/scheduled-premises-regulations-review

 

2.     Policy reviews and other programs that are seeking input from industry and the community at the moment: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/get-involved/have-your-say

 

3.     EPA’s current Environmental Citizenship and Engagement policies – both of which are likely to be reviewed in the near future, and we’d be keen for you input/ideas: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/about-us/engagement-policy-and-environmental-citizenship-strategy

 

4.     Information on EPA’s current Business, Community and Water Industry Reference Groups: http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/about-us/reference-groups

 

 

ITEM 4.       ROBIN TO SPEAK ON HIS SHORT NOTE ON THE EPA REVIEW BY      MINISTERIAL COMMITTEE.

Robin

The Ministerial Committee was set up to review the performance and capacity of the EPA.  A  Discussion paper called for submissions by the 31October 2015.  The secretariat to the Committee is reviewing the 200 submissions and having some further policy work done..

 

ITEM 5.       PROGRESS REPORT ON THE COMMUNITY GRANTS INITIATIVE          (TERMINALS PTY LTD)

Don

With the loss of the AVC revenue from the company it has been decided to put the Community Grants scheme on hold for 2016, with a view to it resuming it in 2017.

 

ITEM 6.       DON TO PRESENT NEW SYSTEM OF PROCEDURES WITH SAFETY    PROMPTS

Don

Presented examples of new procedures that are currently in the process of implementing at both sites. The tabled example addresses the process of removing (desorbing) of hazardous vapours from the carbon beds. Features of this Operations Procedure which are common to other new and revised procedures are:

Under “General Requirements” the hazards associated with the activity, the protective clothing that those undertaking the activity must wear, and general precautions must be specified.

The detailed procedure steps are annotated with safety prompts;

 

PPE

Requirements

 

man17 man02 man05  man22  HiViz.jpg

 

and with key data prompts, with the examples below being Health & Safety prompts;

 

 

“This valve must be opened slowly to reduce hammer in steam supply line.”

 

 

“Ensure correct PPE is worn to reduce risk of steam burn in case of valve/flange failure.”

 

ITEM 7.       REPORT FROM TERMINALS AND AGENCIES

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

*    Completed 4 day CDI-T renewal inspection (Chemical Distribution       Industry – Terminal)

*    Paul Hayward the company Engineering Manager has resigned and     will be leaving mid-December.

*    With the change in ownership there have been many pressing       targets to complete within a short timeframe.  The completion of the       new company website has been put back due to higher priority      goals.  The current web sites will continue to remain and be updated.

 

 

Incidents

15 incidents were detailed in the Incident Report. Six of these were Severity 2, One involved the contamination of food quality ethanol with lower grade ethanol from a ship discharge. The ship operators switched from the higher grade to the lower grade product discharge without advising the terminal, while the Terminals Operator did not continuously check the input rate once the high level mark was reached. Rigorous implementation of the standing instructions to operators during tank filling has been undertaken.

The second incident which was reviewed in detail at the meeting concerned the filling of ethanol to a road tanker, and the contamination of the load. The incident baffled Terminals, and the probable cause was only found after considerable detective work. Eleven different mitigation measures are being undertaken to avoid future incidents of the same sort, involving changes to hardware, software and procedures, as well as further investigation of specific plant items. This was an expensive incident for Terminals.

 

 

 

ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY

 

The presence of Richard and Heather (see Item 3 above) provided an opportunity for members to learn a little more about the recent activities of EPA..

 

ITEM 8.       UPDATE OF WEB SITE – PROGRESS REPORT

 

Don

With the change in ownership there have been many pressing targets to complete within a short timeframe.  The completion of the new company website has been put back due to higher priority goals.  The current web sites will continue to remain and be updated

 

ITEM 9.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

Next meeting 16th February, 2016 on site at Coode Island at 3.00pm

 

OTHER SCHEDULED MEETINGS IN 2016:

28th April, 9th August, and 15th November, 2016

All meetings are on site at 70-78 Mackenzie Road Coode Island at 3:00pm.

 

MEETING CLOSED 6:30pm