COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 14th November, 2017

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd

70-78 Mackenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

 

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Phil Jones

National Australian Operations Team, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah McFarlane

Wayne Cook

Community Rep./Committee

Victorian Maintenance Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen

 

Community Rep./Committee

 

Ian Thomas

Joan Thomas

Community Rep./Committee

Observer

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

Welcome to Wayne Cook and Phil Jones

 

ITEM 2.       INVITE PHIL JONES, NATIONAL AUSTRALIAN OPERATIONS TEAM    Leader to address the Committee on the recent changes at Terminals Pty            Ltd

 

Phil

Nicolas Moen, the new CEO, has implemented restructuring to level management out, including the removal of State Managers’ positions.  Unfortunately Don McKenzie and Deb Brown’s positions were made redundant.  There is no real change for remaining structure.  Wayne is the Victorian Maintenance Manager.

Michael

Any change during management changes?  Any change to Safety and Environment at the work site?

Phil

At work site nothing has changed.  Day to day operations and Safety also going to myself as well as Gary O’Sullivan and Cameron Nichols.

Ian

Like to ask whether there is anything to do with this committee; are there any changes?

Phil

None whatsoever.  I am here very often, my office is at Botany.

Faye

Have there been any changes to the running of the site.  Such as the electronic maintenance systems?

Phil

All the same as prior to the changes.

Faye

This has been going for 4 months?

Phil

This week

Faye

Consequences of changes would not be noticeable yet?

Phil

I worked closely with Don prior to the change.  Wayne now looks after both sites.

Wayne

I have history at both sites.  I only operate in Victoria.

Faye

Important to not lose the intellectual knowledge.

Ian

We have got to know a number of very competent people.  What has happened to Don as he was a very good State Manager?

Phil

Don was made redundant as the position was made redundant. There is only one operations management position in the new structure.  I have worked with Don since he began and yes he was good at his job.

ACTION

Phil to explain the”ANZT” in the company’s name.

Ian

For the benefit of Deborah.  Wayne is here instead of Gary as he is on leave.

Robin

I thought Terminals had business in Queensland?  Piece of land up there?

Phil

Terminals still have the land but nothing built on the land.

Robin

When it comes down to not having the State Managers.  What were the differences between the states?

Phil

Not much Adelaide is a MHF; NSW is not due to different regulations.  Trying to streamline the business.

Deb

When a company gets rid of a lot of jobs like that is usually indicates a company needs to cut costs.

Phil

Company is going very well.  In the process of expanding in NSW.

Deb

As long as it does not undermine the safety.

 

 

 

ITEM 3.       A LETTER OF APPRECIATION TO DON MCKENZIE

 

ACTION

Robin to write a letter of appreciation to Don McKenzie.

 

ITEM 4.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 25 July 2017, AND           REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

 

Draft Minutes of the 25th July 2017 adopted.

 

Ian

When there are good reasons for not being able to attend it should be mentioned in minutes.

Robin

Other members might not want to have something noted.  Ask Chair to mention more details should you wish.  If they want a reason noted they can mention at time of apology.

 

Review of Action Sheet summary

 

Robin

Reporting in the past year has fallen into a heap.  There needs to be a decision made as to whether Terminals want to proceed with the detail of reporting.

Phil

Happy to report on whatever the committee wishes to know.

Michael

We just have to respect commercial in confidence.  Reports in the past year are getting vaguer.  Probably less incidents but just so vague.

02/2016/2

No response as yet to providing 2013-2014 Annual Report to the Community.

Robin

Have you ever looked at the CICCC website?

Phil

No I have not.

Robin

There are 18 years of records you might like to look at as it is a significant repository of the representation of the company.  Large compendium of the reports.  2013-2014 Annual Report was largely put together by Gary.  Revised form was put on website but was incomplete as missing aspects of Health and Safety.  Asked in 2016 if those reports could be updated.

 

The committee acts on behalf of the community.  I want to be in a position where I can confidently advise any interested party that the company is well managed, the facility has modern and safe infrastructure, and that the committee is provided with a substantial reporting process which allows us to understand what is happening on site and to follow up matters of interest or concern.

 

  

In late 2010 the then CEO of Terminals Pty Ltd, George Horman, wound up the old Geelong community consultative committee and replaced it with a new structure. In order to forestall any disquiet that the same thing might happen at Coode Island, George included in his public statement about the change at Geelong the following paragraph:

 

 

“Be assured we have no plans to change the existing CICCC committee as we feel that group has caused and continues to cause Terminals to be a better company, accountable for it’s actions and ensures that the regulators are diligent. It also ensures improvements and additions are done to the most appropriate standards and this is achieved in the best of good faith.”

 

Phil

I agree, I will go back and have a look at the reporting.  My goal is to report back to you.

Faye

Increasing deregulation.  Role increasing from regulatory point of view.

Phil

Chemical industry has not been deregulated much.  EPA – “yes” as far as spills, as far as emissions “no”.

Ian

Confidentiality – we would like to view details of reports.

Phil

Yes will do that.

Michael

I am the only local.  Locals very satisfied our concerns with health and safety have been satisfied and that the site is no longer a problem.  They knew they are able to look at the website of this Committee and that the company was under observation.  Could view level of reporting.  Due to downgrading of reporting not too confident now though.

Robin

The Committee may like to consider a “mail out” and generate interest in getting new members, although it is recognized that it is not easy to get people to commit time to the work of the committee.

 

Two previous members are now in parliament.  Not easy to galvanize the community to participate in these committees.

Michael

I tried to have some people join the committee.

Robin

There is a complete lack of interest by EPA, Worksafe, and CFA to attend the meetings.

Deb

Are you planning to store more petroleum based products?

Phil

There has been no major change to the products we store due to downturn of manufacturing.

Ian

When we first formed Peter Reddie would draw a diagram of any technical issue that came up on the whiteboard by way of explaining so we would get an understanding.  George was also a diagram man.  That process was informative.

ACTION

Phil will review the outstanding reports as detailed above, and will respond with a plan of action not later than at the next meeting.

04/2017/2

Discussed as part of first item 02/2016/2.

 

 

04/2017/3

Improvement Action Report – to be discussed during meeting.

 

 

04/2017/7

Devise a new reporting structure for incidents.

Will see how that goes in reporting today.

 

 

04/2017/8

Send the Terminals Reports not later than the Thursday before a meeting.

Reports are not put on the website.

 

 

07/2017/1

Incident Classification in Safety Case - Request information from Stephen concerning the origin of the Incident Classification Guide and the Major Incident Definition in the Safety Case.

Fallen by the wayside.  Phil will confirm with Stephen.

 

 

07/2017/2

Management action taken on each incident - Phil will confirm with Stephen.

 

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Phil

I am happy to give the information via the reports but do not wish for the reports to be shared out of the site.

Robin

At these meetings we discuss Level 3 incidents, and any other incident raised by attendees.

Faye

Nitrogen membrane generator (membrane separation) for general site. So when it fails do you get a mixture of products?

Phil

No. 

 

Phil then explained the process of the Nitrogen generator (membrane separation).

 

 

 

INCIDENTS

IRF-0817-0041

One injury for the period to the leg of an operator performing Fire Watch duties.  As a consequence additional training is now provided to permit issuers. Reviewing positon of distances whilst on fire watch.

Robin

What you have presented there now is precisely what we want.  Could not ask for better than that.

Faye

Can we get a definition of the severity?

Robin

The definitions were tabled at previous meeting.

Phil

What I could do is put a definition at the bottom “0-5 band”.

Robin

Potential and actual.

Faye

Gives me some idea that it has been caught early.

Phil

Agree – whole idea around potential.  I would like to see lots of 0’s and 1”s

Robin

Tell us about your board?

Phil

5 Shareholders that have invested in Terminals on behalf of

Superannuation funds. 6 Directors in total. Meet monthly, mostly in

person. Some Directors are based overseas and fly in as required. We

have an independent Chair.

Ian

What is his name?

Phil

I will have to get his details for you.

Robin

Are the meetings in Sydney

Phil

No Melbourne.

Faye

So this remains an unlisted company?

Phil

Yes as owned by superannuation companies.

Robin

Do you get the feeling the board is a good board?

Phil

Yes I do.

Michael

Asset damage or asset failure.  I think that is a significant difference.

Phil

It is a debate I have had due to me having a mechanical background.  Classification based on HSE requirements.

 

 

 

Site Visits and Points of Discussion

 

Š                  Phil Jones appointed as National Operations Manager

 

Š                  Alan Figgis appointed as National Integrity Manager

 

Š                  Deb Brown has left the company

 

Š                  Don McKenzie has left the company

 

Š                  MHF licence audits in progress for licence renewal (PIN         notices issued and complied with)

 

Š                  EBA negotiations in progress with NUW

 

Phil explained changes and roles. 

Phil

Presently going through PIN notices.  Worksafe have increased their compliance requirements.  Improvements sought on our Safety Management System to bring up to level that Worksafe will accept.

Robin

I would hope that as soon as a PIN is applied this committee would be informed.

Phil

They generally only go through this process every 5 years.  Next meeting I will give you a list of the PIN notices.  Worksafe have told us our weaknesses.  Our licence will have where we are to improve.

ACTION

Phil to provide a list of the PIN notices and a discussion of each will be on the agenda for the next meeting.

Faye

I believe new levels are to be reviewed.

ACTION

SEPP Levels.  How Terminals is to report on their conformance to new SEP levels.

Phil

EBA up tomorrow.  Going through process which might result in industrial action.

Robin

I received a call from Monique from the NUW who is going on maternity leave and being replaced by Sam Roberts.

 

Members are concerned about reduced manning levels at the wharf.  Industrial Action approved by Fair Work Australia.

Phil

Ballot conducted today.  They have to give us 72 hours’ notice.  They are asking for a 5% increase.

Robin

Are there any plans by Terminals to reduce manning on the wharf?

Deb

There have been incidents particularly at night whereby the ships staff cannot speak very good English.  Contracting things out have been unsatisfactory.

Phil

The contractors have the same training as operators.

Wayne

The contractors have all undergone the same training as the current operators and are competent.  Currently used in the regular running of the site.  Currently back filling with Management.  Day to day operations does not require additional operators.

Phil

We do not carry enough manning to cover annual leave, or sick leave.  Casual positions are utilized to backfill those positions.

Robin

When you train up casuals do you have to pay a retainer?

Phil

It is a balance of having enough work.  It is a full time position with a hire company.

Wayne

It is about fatigue management.

 

ITEM 7.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

ACTION

Robin to invite Nick Moen to the next meeting.

 

 

Robin

With regard to my own position as Chair,  I wish to give notice that I am considering resigning.  Today I am feeling invigorated with Phil’s response to the Committee’s concerns about the lack of action on routine reporting.  Thought it would be a good idea to put on notice of my intention.  I am happy to be in the Chair to enable a smooth transition for any incoming chair.  I will have a discussion with Phil regarding my continued involvement in the future of committee.

 

 

 

No further business.

 

 

 

Next meeting: 20 February 2018 on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm

 

 

 

Other meeting dates for 2018:-  20th February, 22nd May, 21st August and 20th November on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm.

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 4:50pm