COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 20th February 2018

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd

70-78 MacKenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Phil Jones

National AUS Operations Team, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Nick Moen

Michael Isaachsen

CEO, Terminals Pty Ltd

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Ian Thomas

Operations Manager, West Melbourne

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.       WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton; Deborah McFarlane

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

Welcome to Nick Moen

 

 

ITEM 2.       INVITE NICK MOEN, CEO TERMINALS PTY LTD TO SAY A FEW WORDS

 

Nick

I have been at Terminals for 8 months today.

 

18 years at BP

Š                  Ran the Terminals

Š                  Ran the Strategy

Worked in the UK – Corporate headquarters London and latterly in Australia.

 

Prior to that I was in the Navy

 

My reflections for the company are as follows:-

1.                Standardization across the company

2.                Reliable and safe working environment

3.                Maintenance completed

 

Aim to get the best out of the business.  There have been changes in the industry with manufacturing declining.  Also now store Diesel, and Jet Fuel

 

Hope to foster growth, more land at Coode would mean more tanks.  Tankage at Port Botany has increased.  The health of the business is on the way up

 

There is a lot of energy and pride from personnel within the company.

 

I believe you need to have a chronic unease with regards to Safety so incidents like Bunsfield do not happen again.

 

Terminals have 12 sites across Australia and New Zealand

Ian

One of the tanks needs some work on it.  The outside is missing some of the cladding.

Phil

The cockatiels get into the foam lining, tried all types of deterrent to no affect.

Faye

What are your base qualifications Nick?

Nick

Grew up in New Zealand

Attended Auckland University, Bachelor of Commerce, then the Navy;

BP – Operations Manager Trainee;

BP Spotswood, Head Office, Supply Logistics;

BP Queensland;

BP Melbourne – Commercial roles, BP Logistics for Australia, and then BP London

Faye

Who is your counterpart for Safety?

Nick

5 years in Navy was very operational, studied Safety at MIT in Boston; third of career spent in the field of Safety.

Faye

Understanding Safety and Maintenance and comprehension of safety factors; unless you have a solid background in safety you are reliant on a counter party.

Nick

I have Phil in charge of Operations; Alan Figgis is the National Integrity Manager and Stephen Lewis is the National HSEQ Manager

 

We review our risks, mitigations; how we avoid damage to the community.  Conduct maintenance to ensure robust approach to safety.

Michael

Where in that chain is the experience?

Phil

Stephen Lewis – 25 years in the industry

 

Myself – 20+ years in the oil industry

 

Alan – 20+ years in the oil industry

 

I am a Process Control Engineer, Stephen is a Chemical Engineer and

Alan Figgis is a Mechanical Engineer.

 

If we need skills outside of those already mentioned we bring in qualified personnel.

 

I am also a member of the Institute of Engineers Australia

Ian

I am a member of the Risk Engineers Society, Asset Council, Chemists Group.

Phil

As a member of the Institute of Engineers I have access to user group

forums that provide information and support on several different topics

including risk management.

Ian

I organize meetings on selected topics

Phil

Stephen is a member of Chemical Engineers of Australia.

Ian

What is Risk? (asked rhetorically)

 

The reason it is topical at the moment is risk is the likelihood that a hazard will cause harm.  All depends on the likelihood of harm.

Nick

I think the team we have got is very good.  I am not an Engineer but I know how to run a business.  I personally go through every incident each week with the operations personnel.

Faye

The layers of management seem very sparse

Nick

It is a fair size; I doubt I would like to get any lighter.

Robin

Is there anything at Coode that you have initiated to improve the level of safety?

Nick

I have ensured the focus is on Safety.

Robin

Engineering culture, who is driving the culture?

Nick

Increased site walks, supporting training, and continuing to reinforce safety.

Robin

Thank you Nick, it has been a pleasure to meet you today and I wish you every success.

 

ITEM 3.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 14TH NOVEMBER 2017 AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST.

.

Draft Minutes of the 14th November, 2017 adopted

 

Review of Action Sheet summary

 

04/2017/8

The whole purpose of sending the reports prior to meeting is for the members to view before the meeting.  Thus making the meetings more productive.

07/2017/1

Is it possible Phil for you to ask Stephen to attend the meeting to explain the incident classification?

Phil

The classifications are developed through similar bases with Mobil, BP, etc.  No Industry Standard so went to similar industries.  Worksafe have accepted and like the classifications we have in place.

Faye

Is this not a concern to Worksafe?

Phil

I am sure Worksafe would like everyone the same but they like what we have in place.

Faye

EPA not worried about it either?

Robin

EPA regulate emissions, Worksafe regulate Safety activities.

Phil

EPA regulates environment, Worksafe regulates impact on people.

Robin

Worksafe’s assessment of the impact on people is mainly addressed through the Safety Case process

 

 

ACTION

Phil – Incident Classification guide cropping to a bigger font/scale next quarter.

ACTION

Phil to invite Stephen Lewis to the next meeting

 

 

ITEM 4.       PHIL JONES TO ADVISE ON THE PROGRAM FOR THE PRODUCTION OF       OUTSTANDING REPORTS

 

 

Phil

The Annual Community Report for 2013/2014 has been presented today.  Stephen has promised the remaining reports before the next meeting.

 

ITEM 5.       PHIL JONES TO LIST AND DISCUSS THE PIN NOTICES FROM             WORKSAFE

 

Phil

MHF renewed for next 5 years, WorkSafe audit protocol has increased massively.

Robin

With respect to the WorkSafe Pin Notices, rather than just inserting the list of notices into the minutes, can you send the list to me with the actions for insertion into the minutes?

Phil

Yes I can do that

ACTION

Phil to email Robin a list of the Pin Notices and the actions taken, for adding to the Minutes.

 

 

ITEM 6.       PHIL JONES ADVISE ON CHANGES TO SEPP LEVELS, AND THEIR     RESPONSE

 

Phil

SEPP levels.  I have spoken to Stephen Lewis and conformance has not affected Terminals very much.  Lloyds audit annually, they check SEPP.  EPA audit they check SEPP, I will ask Stephen if firefighting foam is included in SEPP.

ACTION

SEPP levels to be asked of Stephen at next meeting and provide a written report prior to meeting.

 

ITEM 7.       REPORTS FROM TERMINALS AND THE CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

 

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Robin

We need the report to show the Management action on the incidents

Phil

Stephen conducts a review at the end of each month and checks the due dates.

Robin

We need the report to be modified to provide clarification of Stats in reporting.  What I would like to have is a list of Total number of incidents that are actual incidents which are open or closed.

 

Faye

So if someone tried to delete an action can they just delete it?

 

Phil

Incident is put in system with description, immediate action, they send for review, once that has happened we cannot change the text.

 

Gary

We log on to Integrum and record the incident, log onto incident, cannot change, the system logs all the changes everyone does.

 

Phil

The system effectively stamps the incident and action.  Gary cannot close his own actions or incidents.  We like it as everything is tracked.

 

Robin

Not all incidents have an action

 

Gary

No that’s right.  Such an incident would be in an instance for example where a transport company has a problem with paperwork.  Dispatch have noticed the problem and corrected it.  Incident raised but no action required.  Regarded as a near miss.

 

Phil

Another example – inspection of platform found rusty bolts.  We would then inspect all bolts therefore preventing any incidents.  We get quite small things happening now so alertness increased to prevent incidents.

 

ACTION

Page 5 of report.  List our understanding of what the boxes mean. 

Review box descriptions in report.  Interpretation and understanding.

 

 

INCIDENTS

 

Robin

IRF-1117-0016 – Injury.  Can you explain the dates?

 

Phil

Incident report was created on 22/1/17, it was given to 31/12/17 to complete and was completed 7/12/17.  The date of 31/12/17 was given just in case the operator concerned goes home and his elbow deteriorated.

 

Phil

IRF-1117-0037 – Tank 049

100 tones spilled into bund and contained in bund.  480 tonnes of the product (Aluminium Sulphate) remaining in the tank was transferred to road tankers and taken to storage at an empty tank at our Geelong facility.  We are in the process of doing a review to determine cause of leak.  Clean up complete using

Cleanaway a certified waste management company, all product was water soluble.  We are in the process of checking groundwater.

 

Faye

Why wasn’t that leak picked up earlier?

 

Phil

Drew drawing on whiteboard to explain. The leak started at night when no-one was on site, and was discovered by an operator doing his rounds the next morning.

 

Faye

Why isn’t the tell-tale drain wired with an alarm.

 

Phil

Because it is not a flammable if it was a flammable we would have an alarm.  Bentonite lines the bunds, it absorbs like a sponge.

 

Robin

400 tones – 4 cm pipe comes out almost a meter a second, so you would have lost a lot of product overnight.  Do you get insurance for that?

 

Phil

We are working through that.

 

Gary

Tank washed, NDT testing been done.  Still doing investigation as to where leak happened.

 

Phil

That is the only incident we have seen that is a Level 4.

 

Ian

Next time we have a site visit can we go on the wharf?

 

Phil

No you require an MSIC.

 

Ian

We should be permitted to go on the wharf when we are in your company

 

Phil

No

 

Robin

It would be helpful if you would suggest 2 or 3 incidents for discussion that you think might be of interest to the committee each meeting.

 

Phil

Definitely any injury and level 3 incidents

 

 

ITEM 8.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

1.   Ian

New EPA guideline 1667.1

Management and recycling of combustible materials such as tyres and waste storage.  PPO’s have to be incinerated.

Phil

The only place is Queensland at the moment.

 

 

2.      Robin

I serve here at the pleasure of the community representatives (and Terminals Pty Ltd).  I had a meeting with Phil and Nick prior to this meeting.  I asked the question “What did the company feel about the future of the committee?”

The company is happy with the committee and wishes for it to continue.  I am happy to keep serving.

In relation to the issue of trying to find new local community representatives, I will draft a short report identifying the purpose and objectives of the Committee, and draft an advertisement.

ACTION

Robin to draft a short report on the purpose and objectives of the Committee, and a draft Advertisement.

 

 

Faye

Is there any change from Terminals that they would like to see from the committee structure?

Phil

Terminals are happy with the format.

 

 

3.    Robin

I think it is time to develop a program of inviting senior representatives from EPA, WorkSafe and the City of Maribyrnong to attend meetings.

ACTION

Robin to develop a program for inviting representatives from those organisations to future meetings, aiming to have just one invited for any particular meeting.

 

 

 

Next meeting: 22nd May, 2018 on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm

 

Other meeting dates for 2018:- 21st August and 20th November on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm.

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:15pm

 

 

Addendum

Following the meeting, Phil provided a table showing the description of the Pin Notices received from WorkSafe, and the dates by which they were (or will be) addressed by Terminals, as follows:

 

 

 

Improvement Notice Description

 

Due Date

Action

Status

Complete testing to ensure foam system mixing delivers foam at the correct concentration

7-Dec-17

Testing completed before due date

Complete

Establish a comprehensive SMS audit protocol

7-Dec-17

Audit protocol setup and tested, completed before due date.

Complete

Implements updated Permit to Work System

18-Dec-17

New permit to work system implemented before due date.

Complete

Develop procedure for operating Plant B foam system manual proportioning valve

18-Dec-17

Procedure developed and implemented before due date.

Complete

Develop procedure for isolating fire system during testing

18-Dec-17

Procedure developed and implemented before due date.

Complete

Develop a critical locked valve register for the site.

21-Mar-18

Register developed, locks on order.

In progress

Develop procedures for standard maintenance items completed by contractors on site

21-Mar-18

Register developed, procedures 80% complete.

In progress

Audit new Permit to Work system

21-Mar-18

Audits taken place, continuing to audit system

In progress