COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 22nd May 2018

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd

70-78 MacKenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Phil Jones

National AUS Operations Team, Terminals Pty Ltd

 

Ryan de Munk

Michael Isaachsen

National HSEQ Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Ian Thomas

Operations Manager, West Melbourne

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 

ITEM 1.       WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton; Deborah McFarlane

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

Welcome to Ryan de Munk

 

Invited Ryan to say a few words about his background.

Ryan

Stephen has moved across to Safety Standards & Cases Manager and I have taken over the HSEQ side of things.

I have 20 years’ experience with Safety, I have a Health & Safety Degree, also MBA. 

Previously worked for Wesfarmers in the Chemical, Energy and Fertilizer business side.  Specifically, with LPG & LNG (predominantly on the Dampier to Bunbury pipeline).  I was made redundant and have undertaken consultancy work for the past 2 years.

I have been with Terminals for 5 weeks.

Robin

Thank you, Ryan, for that introduction.

 

Minutes adopted with the following change: -

Nic Moen introduction – “Ran the Terminals” instead of Terminals Pty Ltd.

Phil

Advised that Kahlia Loche is the new HR Manager.

 

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 20 FEBRUARY 2018         AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

 

Robin

Minutes adopted with the following change: -

Nic Moen introduction – “Ran the Terminals” instead of “Terminals P L


 

Action Item List

 

 

Robin

All actions complete.

 

 

ITEM 3.       COMMUNITY REPORTS – Discussion of the new reports provided by                     Stephen, and outstanding reporting on the 2013-2-16 EIP and the new EIP                     to replace the old one.

 

EIP 2014 – 2015

 

Phil

Testing Shows nothing out of parameters of license.

Michael

When I read that I thought back it was rare to have nothing out of parameters and now there are none.

Gary

We have lost a lot of Acrylate products which used to create problems with carbon beds and combustor.

Robin

All Community Reports have been distributed and are now also on the website.

 

EIPs often are confined to matters outside those the company had already committed to (including license requirements of authorities).  I would rather it included everything that the company is required to do, or commits to doing or investigating, including environmental and safety measures. Phil indicated his agreement to that approach.

 

 

 

 

ITEM 4.       STEPHEN TO DISCUSS THE IMPROVEMENT NOTICES (IN) FROM WORKSAFE,  AND TAKE  QUESTIONS FROM THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

 

Robin

Since Stephen is not in attendance, Ryan will run through the IN’s.

Ryan

All 8 Improvement Notices are now closed out.  New Permit to Work System has been rolled out over all the sites.  West Melbourne site have been appropriately trained.  WorkSafe visited site and were happy with the new system.

Gary

WorkSafe reviewed the Foam System and the installation of foam pourers in bund and the % of foam used.

Faye

Were you delivering something far too strong?

Gary

The foam delivered was at a concentrate rate of 14%, when only 6% was required. We diluted the foam further from 14% to 6% to ensure we did not run out of foam, while still meeting the required concentration rate.

Ian

How did WorkSafe know the % of the foam?

Gary

Routine testing showed % high than needed.

 

Foam system contractor came on site to do system checks.  Isolated everything which meant there was no fire protection on the gantry.  WorkSafe asked the question of why it was all isolated.

We have now changed the procedure.  No flammable truck loading whilst duration of isolation for testing.

Robin

Does this mean that you isolate areas just one place at a time?

Phil

Yes, we isolate one area instead of whole sections. Weekly/Monthly testing conducted to ensure system actually works.

Ian

Foam is expensive stuff to purchase

Phil

Every year we do an actual test

Ian

Coincidental that WorkSafe were on site at the time?

Gary

Yes

Robin

How did they detect it?

Gary

One of the WorkSafe personnel asked the operator is that the normal position of the valve?

Faye

Can you not use a bit of red tape to notify position of valve?

Gary

1,200 locks and tags have now been installed around the site and recorded in a Valve Register.  Valves are numbered so you can locate the valve and the register will show if it should be open or closed.

Faye

Feels clumsy to me as you have walk backwards and forwards to the register.

Gary

There is a printout you can take with you.

Phil

Every valve has a tag which tells you whether the valve should be open or closed.

Faye

Is that not an onerous system?

Ryan

The fact that it is onerous is part of the safety factory.

Ian

Fool proof system that I know is an individual doing the work has his own lock.  Can we look at one of these locks?

Gary

Yes, on the fire system

Michael

Can you tell on all the valves so it is obvious to those looking at the valve that it is open or closed?

Gary

Yes

Ryan

Changing the SMS audit protocol to include: -

Š                  Lots of elements

Š                  Internal Audits

Š                  Continue to improve with audits

Robin

Would that go into your EIP?

Phil

This is about our whole Environment Plan and I can request that it does.

Robin

I am used to a definition of Environment Plan is to include everything directly concerning the environment.

Phil

The SMS is that which includes everything.

Ian

Can you remind us of the timeframe of completion?

Phil

3-4 months

Ryan

A WorkSafe Audit was conducted in Geelong only a few months ago.  At that audit WorkSafe dealt with the exact same things and all items were ticked off.

Faye

Is the site isolated out of hours and public holidays?

Phil

We isolate all tank valves over all the site out of working hours.

Gary

Valve register is only the critical valves.

 

We have a tag peg board where they remove the key and return at end of day.

Faye

Temperature variations during storms are there allowances?

Gary

There are high LEL alarms around the site which would alert us to any anomalies.

Faye

Are there back up contacts if the rostered operators are unavailable?

Phil

They are no longer referred to as PIN notices now just “IN” (Infringement Notices).

Robin

Ryan, could you go through the PIN notices one by one please?

Ryan               1

Complete testing to ensure foam system mixing delivers foam at the correct concentration

                        2

Establish a comprehensive SMS audit protocol

3

Implement updated Permit to Work System

4

Develop procedure for operating Plant B foam system manual proportioning valve

5

Develop procedures for standard maintenance items completed by contractors on site

6

Develop a critical locked valve register for the site.

7

Develop procedures for standard maintenance items completed by contractors on site

8

Audit new Permit to Work system

Ryan

All the above items have now been completed, as generally described above.

Robin

Inquired about the Improvement Notices submitted by the Health & Safety Rep on site?

Phil

All items proved to be unfounded.

 

ITEM 5.       STEPHEN TO ADVISE ON CHANGES TO SEPP LEVELS, AND THE       TERMINALS PTY LTD RESPONSE

.

Ryan

Then went through the notes prepared by Stephen Lewis.

Robin

Can you email me a copy of Stephens notes on SEPP?

Ryan

Certainly

Faye

Any excesses reported?

Ryan

No

Faye

Any phthalates?

Gary

They were below the recommended level

Ian

As I drove in this afternoon I noticed they were doing things on the riverbank.  Do we know what they are doing?

Phil

The new road tunnel

Robin

The comments you have noted on Stephens report, do they update any of Stephens comments?  If you could highlight in the original and send to me please?

ACTION

Ryan to scan and send a copy of Stephen’s SEPP presentation with highlighted sections to Robin.

Robin

Only 1 action outstanding on SEPP Levels

 

 

 

ITEM 6        REPORTS FROM TERMINALS AND THE CITY OF MARIBYRNONG

 

 

Phil

Discussed the Dashboard of incidents.  Nothing above severity 2 in actual severity.

Ian

Is there a way to get a product column?

Robin

There is no key to identify products.  Spill of Tallow not as much an issue as Methanol.

Phil

Any spill is reportable.  A spill is a spill.

Robin

So WorkSafe is happy with this way of reporting?

Phil

Yes.  We have an emissions report that we generate each year.

Michael

Are there any commercial reasons not to include the product in the report?

Phil

Yes, and no I cannot give you that detail on the report.  I do not have an issue with this report going out to this committee and having this information.

Robin

When I get this report 3 days prior to the meeting I will then circulate to members.

Michael

Doesn’t matter what the product was that leaked.  If it is volatile, emission to air would be of interest.

Phil

I will let you know at the meeting but not recorded in the report.

Ian

The incident where the ship didn’t follow instructions to stop the transfer process.  What was the product in this instance.

Phil

I do not have that information available to me here now.

Ryan

Why mention incidents other than Severity 3?

Michael

It is good to see all the others just in case they escalate to a severity 3.

ACTION

Phil to advise what the product was for the incident IRF-0318-0032.

Phil

Emergency Exercise conducted – unannounced – Potential Severity 3

Faye

What was the response time?

Gary

Approximately 30 seconds

Ian

When you refer to gantry does that describe the overhead structure?

Gary

It refers to the roofed area over the loading area.

Phil

There are 3 incidents open of which 2 relate to combustor and we are still going through the process of correcting these incidents.

Robin

Often enough the open ones are interesting to hear how they are resolved at the next meeting.

Phil

Yes, I will put in a mention of the close out of the open incidents for the next meeting.

Robin

Potential incidents label on pie chart “Other” potential incidents.

Phil

Actions are around things that are unable to be fixed straight away.

Ian

Immediate action would be to talk to the captain of the ship in the incident where the ship would not stop

Michael

If something fixed on the spot – no action

 

What about if there was something to be learnt, would that be an action?

Phil

Apart from talking to the captain there was nothing more we could do and we automatically write a letter of complaint to the ship surveyor.

Ian

How does the person get the “Stop, Stop” message?

Gary

Via radio

Robin

Thank you, Phil, for the report

Phil

 

With regards to Tank 49 it is a mild steel tank which is not an issue unless product delivered at 70-78 degrees.  Part of Enquiry Form process now asks if product is coming in at an elevated temperature for all products.  This incident showed flaws in both company’s processes.  We had never stored Aluminum Sulphate before. It was delivered at an elevated temperature, which caused some corrosion. We obtained external advice on the storage of the product.

Actions will be available next meeting.

Loss of containment meant ground water testing was conducted.  We put a cleanup process in place and are monitoring sulphates in the ground.  Now under control.

 

Terminals has been issued with a fine from the EPA.  We kept EPA informed during the process.  Breach notice issued.

 

ITEM 7.       ROBIN TO ADVISE ON THE STATUS OF THE ADVERTISEMENT FOR   NEW COMMUNITY MEMBERS.

 

Robin

I have provided a draft to Phil and Terminals will put an advertisement on social media, etc.

 

ITEM 8.       ROBIN TO ADVISE ON THE STATUS OF A PROGRAM FOR INVITING KEY       AGENCIES TO FUTURE MEETING

 

Robin

Who should we ask to attend future meetings?

One organization to be targeted to attend first.

1.                WorkSafe

2.                EPA

3.                City of Maribyrnong – Mark

ACTION

Robin to invite a representative of WorkSafe to our next meeting.

 

ITEM 9.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

Faye

What is the impact of the next road tunnel to Terminals?

Phil

No impact to us, it is well away from the site.  Stolt Haven is closer to the tunnel than us.

 

 

Faye

Funding of Community Grants, are they a possibility of happening soon?

Gary

In the past Terminals committed $20K each year

Phil

I will ask the board, though probably will not happen this year as not budgeted.

ACTION

Phil to advise plans for funding the Community Grants program.

 

Robin

(This matter was discussed earlier in the meeting) What is the status of the proposed solar panels at the facility, and the availability of funds for the implementation of the scheme.

Phil

Phil advised that the space for solar panels had been over-estimated, as the loading gantries rooves are not suitable for this purpose.

ACTION

Phil to advise if a viable proposal for solar panels can be developed.

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:15pm

 

 

Next meeting: 21st August, 2018 on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm

 

Final meeting date for 2018:  20th November on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm.