COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 21st August 2018

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd

70-78 MacKenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Phil Jones

National AUS Operations Team, Terminals Pty Ltd

Michael Isaachsen

Gary O’Sullivan

Community Rep./Committee

Operations Manager, West Melbourne

Ian Thomas

Michael Eather

Community Rep./Committee

Manager Outreach - WorkSafe

 

Serena Serovsky

 

WorkSafe

ITEM 1.       WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Welcome to WorkSafe

 

Draft Agenda – confirmed

 

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 22 MAY 2018         AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

 

Robin

Minutes adopted

 

Action Item List

 

 

5/2018/1

Phil to chase up Stephen’s SEPP presentation

5/2018/2

Potential 3 – 2046HF Solvent – high flash Kerosene

5/2018/4

Solar panels – in the Environmental Action Plan for 2018

 

 

ITEM 3.       PRESENTATION BY WORKSAFE – MICHAEL EATHER – Manager Major                     Hazards Outreach.

 

Michael Eather

Provided presentation

 

Š                  Outreach encompasses – Stake Holders, Unions, Councils, Land        use planning

 

Š                  Oversight encompasses – Inspectors and audits

 

Incidents and spills come under WorkSafe as they have the capacity to impact on people and assets.

 

WorkSafe have now moved some of their departments to a new office complex in Geelong. About 200 staff are still in Melbourne, with some 800 staff in Geelong. There are regional offices in Mulgrave, Dandenong, Essendon, Wangaratta, Traralgon, Ballarat, Bendigo and Mildura.

 

Michael is also responsible for land use planning matters within WorkSafe.

Ian

Do WorkSafe legal people stay in Melbourne?

Michael Eather

Yes, they are situated close to the courts in Melbourne

 

Discussed the draft Strategic Approach

Š                  Information

Š                  Oversight

Š                  Stakeholders

Š                  Capability

 

The strategy is prevention led focusing on the needs of workers and employers.

Faye

Picking up on an inherent conflict of interest.  Industry probably not going to be preventative due to costs.

Michael Eather

We do focus on complaints due predominantly on claims.  Use the data to target particular areas.

Phil

Big difference, we will tell WorkSafe we have an issue then WorkSafe will issue a PIN.  WorkSafe will ask how we can help you with regards to rectifying the situation.   

Gary

We are policed every 3 months.

Phil

WorkSafe have made themselves more open with more of a problem-solving approach.

Faye

If Terminals do not have any leaks could you then say extend the visit times?

Michael Eather

The company can demonstrate there is new technology. Show us the evidence and that will be considered when deciding to extend the visit timelines.

Faye

But you have no data to say.

Gary

It is up to Terminals to provide the data about existing conditions.

Phil

Tank turnaround is every 5 years

If there is no rust and no issue we could move to 10 years.  WorkSafe can then say push to 7 years and then possibly 10 years.

Robin

What is your existing data?  Have there been significant changes.

Phil

Industry have been talking to WorkSafe and prefer a more problem-solving approach than policing approach.

Michael Eather

The changes strategy update involves capturing, analyzing and sharing relevant information to decision making; provide guidance and promote learning.

Michael

Would you use that information to help other industries?

Michael Eather

Yes, we would share that information.  Incidents occur, and we have a challenge to share information across industry.  Construction industry does that quite well.

Michael

Building trusted stakeholder partnership.  So, are some stakeholders not trusted?

Ian

Of course, stakeholders have only been around for 10 years.

Michael Eather

We work closely with our regulators, EPA, Fire authorities, ESV (Energy Safe Victoria).

 

We are being more strategic about site visits.  Different site facilities issues focusing more on poor performers and giving good performers more space.

 

Maintaining Inspectors that are skilled and well trained.  Also attracting people that are well skilled.

Michael

Major players maintain high caliber of people.

Michael Eather

We want to be on an even playing field.  Our program is on a course of continuous improvement.

Robin

Congratulations on the presentation Michael.  I have a few comments.

Robin

1.                Presentation would have been lifted to another level if you         had sent your overheads in advance of the meeting

2.                Slide 1, the bringing together of the 3 branches how is that         achieved?

3.                Would be good to see the organization as a whole?  Are you able to send me a copy?

Michael Eather

Yes, I will send you a copy.  The risk is that we have three separate silos’, but it is quite interconnected.  At a site level you would not know the difference.  Interaction at site is very similar and work together.  Meet each week to ensure working together which involved approximately 20 people.

Robin

In email discussion prior to the meeting between me and WorkSafe, some mention was made of getting some feedback on consultation practice from the Committee. In response, and in relation to Slide 4 – Community Engagement, one particularly important matter when we engage with each other is that it is undertaken in openness and honesty – critical in building relationship.

 

Difficulty in 2018 to get anyone interested in WorkSafe in industry.  Look for community engagement.  Sharing outcomes with the community – any comments?

Faye

Do you have any input at a council level?

Michael Eather

We do interact with the council regarding development around Major Hazard Facilities given the changing nature of housing, schools, etc.

Faye

But you do not seek to dissimilate information through council?

Michael Eather

We do have a format interstate where Newsletters are issued.

Faye

I was thinking WorkSafe dissimilate a quarterly newsletter.

Robin

Understand WorkSafe are busy but some information regarding guidelines for industry would be interesting.  Are you able to send me a link?

ACTION

Michael Eather to send link of “Guidelines for Industry”

Robin

Congratulations on your over view.

Ian

When we first formed we had a regular WorkSafe, Maribyrnong Council, EPA representatives attend the meetings.  Not reality any more but appreciate you attending today.

Michael Eather

Obviously, this group is broader than our jurisdiction but happy to attend.

Michael

Perhaps you can send us some links to things that would be relevant and of interest to us.

Michael Eather

Yes, quite happy to do that.

 

 

 

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS FROM TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Phil

Presented the report

Faye

Do you see the health of the economy in shipping movements?

Phil

No due to the nature of being into base businesses and commodities we are not affected.  Trucking numbers are also reasonably stable.

Faye

What is the issue with not using trains?

Phil

Trucking is a lot cheaper.  Cost of rail is expensive.  There is a satellite hub and it hasn’t really taken off.

 

IRF-0518-0011 – Tank 329 Foam Chamber blocked

Phil

Tank 329 foam chamber was blocked.  Discovered during routine inspection which is conducted monthly.

Faye

Do the operators wear respirators?

Gary

Cannister masks when inspecting the foam chamber.

Faye

Cannisters do they have a color change?

Gary

No, they have a 4-hour exposure – one use then ditches it.  They are the highest safety margin cannister we can buy.

Phil

New ones come in fresh, sealed in a bag.  Therefore, no chance of using a previously used cannister.

 

IRF-0518 & IRF-0518 – 0051 – Combustor Failure

Phil

Potential 3 category as combustor part of our emissions.

Gary

An intermittent fault in 4 pin relay.  Combustor service provided found the faulty relay.

 

IRF-0618-0013 – Methanol Tanker leaking dry break

 

Potential 3 category as potential spill – dry break coupling.  Road tanker coming in to be loaded, operators picked up leak prior to loading.

 

IRF-0718-031 – Corrosion Holes in Tank 45

 

Found rust sections on lagged tank during normal inspection.  Did not fail during service only during sand blasting of tank.  The tank was out of service for 10-year inspection.

Faye

So now lesson to be learned to bring forward testing?

Phil

No only leaked during tank sand blasting.

 

IRF-0718-0046 – Severe misconduct at wharf

 

Process we follow is good but operator not following processes.

ACTION

Further discussion regarding incident at next meeting

Phil

Issue not resolved at this moment.

Michael

Would he be aware of what he was doing was wrong?

Phil

Yes, he was.

 

 

 

Incident Actions

Phil

All actions relate back to incidents.

Robin

Real message is information is all there and readily accessible.

 

Dashboard – total number of incidents that have actions against it

 

Red are actions overdue.  Green are actions complete.

 

 

ACTION

Phil to provide further advice on IRF-0518-0009 – ACT-001: Investigate repair of DP cells

 

 

Robin

There are too many little boxes.  Suggest removing boxed text at the top and bottom of dashboard.

1st line actions

2nd line incidents

Phil

WorkSafe audit – all our improvement notices approved and signed off by WorkSafe.

 

Š      There is a tank in Plant B that is close to the fence.  We have     to put a fence up to fix the issue.

 

Š     EPA notice around Aluminum Sulphate spill discovered in groundwater.  Conducted further testing and found a small amount which means it has deposited some product on clay liner in bund and has gone hard.  Laboratory test listed on of     the components as Aluminum.  We are in the process of       preparing a report to EPA.

 

EPA were good as we went to them early, we told them how we were going to remediate.  EPA still gave Terminals a fine as we had broken the law.

 

 

 

ITEM 5.       Report on the 2013 – 2016 EIP and Presentation of new EIP by Terminals            Pty Ltd

.

Phil

The EIP is now our action plan.

Robin

I was wondering if this is fair to go through today?

Phil

Happy for you to take away and discuss next meeting; will talk about Greenhouse gases.

 

Number one of the sheet is to implement radar gauging to improve ourselves on overfill of tank.

Ian

The cause of Longford was incorrect in the official findings.

Robin

Action Plan – previously targets to the quarter rather than the year.

 

EIP what is the duration 2017 – 2018?

Phil

It is a living document.

Robin

How far does it future program?  Previous have been as far ahead as 2-3 years.

Phil

EIP Action Plan is how we are doing it.  We are planning to have all actions completed this year.

Robin

Should be called 2017 – 2018 Action Plan report.  From now we can run this as an annual thing.  It would be useful if there could be foreshadowing different phases of actions.

 

In relation to EIP are there other things you will be including for 3 years?   I think those are the things we want to see foreshadowed that aren’t mentioned.  Are we losing anything in your approach of 12-month time frame.

 

 

 

ITEM 6.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

ACTION

Next meeting dates for next year.

 

 

ACTION

Phil to advise the action taken with the draft advertisement for new committee representatives prepared by the chair, and provided to Terminals for circulation in the local press and social media.

 

 

 

 

 

MEETING CLOSED 5:30pm

 

 

 

 

Final meeting date for 2018:  20th November on site at Coode Island at 3:00pm.