COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes

 

Tuesday, 20th November 2018

Held at Terminals Pty Ltd

70-78 MacKenzie Road, West Melbourne @ 3:00pm

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

Phil Jones

National Operations Manager - Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep./Committee

Gary O’Sullivan

Operations Manager, Terminal Pty Ltd

Faye Simpson

Community Rep./Committee

Susan Chatterton

Minute Taker, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah McFarlane

Community Rep./Committee

 

 

 ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR, APOLOGIES & CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT           AGENDA

 

Robin

Apologies – Bro Sheffield-Brotherton, Michael Isaachsen

 

Draft Agenda - confirmed

 

ITEM 2.       CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 21 AUGUST 2018,            AND REVIEW ACTION ITEM LIST

 

Robin

Minutes adopted.

 

Action Item 2/2018/8 will be discussed in Item 3 of the Agenda

Phil

5/2018/4 - Solar panels are not viable for Terminals as we have hazardous areas and there are no solar panels capable for hazardous areas.

Robin

I remember talking about this at a previous meeting when the CFA were present.

Phil

We do not have an area where we can place them other than the loading gantries and they are in the hazardous area.

Ian

So, we are talking 12 volts at the solar panels.  Check out with Australian Standards for Hazardous Area; iPhone can cause a spark and a solar panel is the same as an iPhone.

Phil

We need an area 18 meters both side and we do not have that area available.

Ian

If you made the roof out of fire resistant material would that make a difference?

Phil

Does not matter, it is still in a hazardous area.

Ian

I said at the last meeting that Longford findings were incorrect.  The first claim was completely wrong that is a fact.  The second claim in my view conclusions were incorrect.

Robin

8/2108/2 “Guidelines for Industry”.  I have not been able to find any Guidelines for Industry so will delete this item.

Phil

8/2018/2 – Employee involved in this incident has left Terminals.

Phil

8/2018/3 – DP cells – Level indications on tanks.  Terminals now replacing with radars.

Faye

May I ask what benefit Terminals would gain?

Phil

Radar is much more accurate.  High Level – Radar Gauge; Independent High Level – tuning fork

 

The standard requires 2 methods of level indication measuring product level in tank. 

1.                High Level and High High Level

2.                Independent High Level

 

One radar reports the liquid level in the tank whatever it is, and therefore is one independent measure for the High Level and the High High Level. As noted above. The “Tuning fork” provides the second independent system for the High High Level alarm. An electrical charge is generated through the tuning fork that causes vibration.

 

Terminals are committed to do 14 tanks in the 2018 calendar year, and 16 more in the 2019 year.  High critical tanks first.

Faye

Presumably not a fire hazard

Phil

That is correct

Ian

You have 2 independent systems to measure level, but one does all three.

Phil

8/2018/5 – Will have Sue put together a draft advertisement for the position of Community Representatives for this committee (based on the draft circulated by the chair in February 2018)

ACTION

Sue to put together a draft advertisement for the position of community representatives for this committee.

 

ITEM 3.       DISCUSSION ON THE 2013 – 2016 EIP AND ACTION PLAN

 

Robin

2018 Environment Improvement Plan

 

We need to bridge the gap between what has been done 2013-2016, that leaves a gap 2016 – 2017, 2017 – 2018.  It would be appreciated if they can be put on the work Schedule for Terminals.

Phil

Terminals now have overarching improvement plan for the year. (the West Melbourne Terminal Environment Improvement Plan dated 21/5/2018 was previously circulated to the Committee.)

 

Each year we will be issuing a report to the community.

Robin

Does not look at Safety.

Phil

I can give you a Safety Improvement Plan and an Environment Improvement Plan.  But not a combined document.  I can put a summary of both in a Community Report.  I will compile an action list for each year.

Robin

Thank you Phil. Your proposal meets the committee’s needs.

ACTION ITEM

Phil to send Robin.

 

1.                Community Report for 2015 – 2016, 2016 – 2017, 2017 -         2018

2.                EIP – Action Plan for 2018 – 2019

3.                Safety Improvement Plan for 2018 – 2019, and Action Plan for 2018 – 2019

Robin

The principles in EIP, although different to previous EIPs, are inclusive, and ticked all the boxes. One slight amendment might be to refer in the principles to the “community” as well as “stakeholders”. I would suggest an addition to the 21/5/2018 EIP, namely a new heading, “9 Reporting to the Community”. Under this would be a commitment to report annually to the Community on the performance during the year (as has been done in the past).

 

ITEM 4.       REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

TERMINALS PTY LTD

 

Phil

Low month in shipping and trucks.  No real reason for the low numbers.

 

Incidents – 27 incidents for the period.  No actions outstanding.  No incidents above a rating 2.

 

IRF-0818-0027 – Paraffin Oil solidifies when it hits the air.

Deborah

Is that tank always used for that product?

Gary

It is used for Paraffin at present, it is a nonhazardous tank and not able to be used for hazardous products.

Robin

I could imagine that something that solidifies under the cladding not being seen for months.

Phil

In this case it was noticeable.

Phil

IRF – 0818-0024 – Unauthorized removal of planks from scaffolding.

Gary

There were some planks removed from the scaffolding.  Investigation could not pin point who interfered with the scaffolding.  When a contractor erects any scaffolding now on a Terminals representative goes with them to check it off.

Phil

All in all, a very good period

Faye

If the product had been greater than 200 litres contained would it have been a rating 3?

Phil

Yes. No product in this incident got to the ground.

Faye

Do the operators know the praise they can get for spotting potential incidents early?

Phil

Yes; they are rewarded with a money voucher.  67% of the incidents were a near miss where they were picked up by operators before it escalated.

Robin

Thank you, Phil, for your comprehensive reporting.

 

ITEM 5.       PROPOSED INVITATION TO EPA FOR MARCH 2019 MEETING

 

Robin

I propose to invite the new CEO of the EPA to attend the March 2019 meeting.

 

Phil

EPA are introducing a process like Worksafe’s Major Hazard Facility approach and trying to bring everyone to a fixed standard.

 

Robin

EPA is understaffed, due to budget constraints.  Backbone of monitoring tends to get inadequately resourced.

 

Gary

As of December 15, the EPA will be doing site audits.

 

Deborah

Cathy Wilkinson is the name of the new CEO of EPA

 

Gary

EPA have already done a site visit.  Provided them with a list of required documents.  Then follow up with another site visit.

 

Deborah

I think inviting a representative to talk to us about the EPA would be good.

 

ACTION ITEM

Robin to invite Cathy Wilkinson, the new CEO of EPA, to the 5 March meeting.

S

ITEM 6.       SUGGESTED DATES FOR 2019 MEETINGS:  TUESDAY 5 MARCH, 7 MAY,      6 AUGUST, 12 NOVEMBER

 

Robin

Meeting dates for next year, please review.

Ian

Too far ahead to comment.

 

ITEM 7.       OTHER BUSINESS

 

Robin

Thank you for all your attendance.  Well done Committee for you efforts in 2018,  thank you all.

 

FUTURE MEETING DATES FOR 2019:  Tuesday 5th March, 7 May, 6 August,

                                                                                    12 November 2019

 

All meetings are on site at 70-78 MacKenzie Road, Coode Island at 3:00pm.

 

MEETING CLOSED 4:15 pm