COODE ISLAND COMMUNITY

CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE

 

Adopted Minutes Meeting

Thursday 5th August 2004

 

 

PRESENT

 

Robin Saunders:

CICCC / Chairperson

George Horman:

Managing Director, Terminals Pty Ltd

Ian Thomas:

Community Rep. / CICCC Committee

Carlo Fasolino:

State Manager, Terminals Pty Ltd

Deborah Macfarlane:

Community Rep./Committee

Quentin Cooke:

Env. Protection Authority / Ex Off Comm

Faye Simpson

Community Member

Bronwyn Brookman Smith:

MH Div / WorkSafe/Ex Off Com

Michael Isaachsen:

Community Rep./Committee

Margaret Donnan

Pacia

Bro Sheffield-Brotherton
Combined Enviro. Groups / Committee

Jody West

Minute Taker

 

 

ITEM 1.      WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

 

Robin         Welcomed everyone

 

ITEM 2.       APOLOGIES

 

Chris Watts, Colleen Hartland, Theo Pykoulas,

Peter LaRose, Paul Hayward,

                   

ITEM 3.       CONFIRMATION OF DRAFT AGENDA

 

                    Adopted

 

ITEM 4.       AGENDA ITEM 6

 

                    REPORT ON SWEENEY MARKET RESEARCH – WORKSAFE

                    (Refer Attachment)

 

                    Bronwyn Brookman-Smith presented a Report on Sweeney Market Research

                   

                    Refer Hand Outs titled: “Post Safety Case Assessment Review” & “Sweeney Research”.

                    The Research was conducted to assess the introduction of the new Safety Case regimes & ambitious timeframes for its implementation. Different facilities had different base levels of safety compliance after licensing. The evaluation was prepared for a report to the WorkCover Board. Sweeney Research was the independent company that did the report in 3 stages. Guidance Notes were developed during the Safety Case process, and the review highlighted the necessity to have them produced before the process was undertaken. Numbers interviewed were based on the size of the facility. In summary the process has outlined a number of areas that need to be looked at across the board.

 

Robin:        It should be noted that the summary report did not represent the community input to the review at all.

 

Robin:        Mr Stenshot made comments during his presentation to the CICCC that Worksafe needed to be more forward with advice to companies on measures to meet standards. The 43% of those interviewed sought such guidance . Has Worksafe noted this?

 

Bronwyn:   Yes, there is a process of reviewing the findings through the Major Hazardous Committee and they are re-writing some aspects. A first draft will be going out to sites for comment.

 

Robin:        Is there a need for WorkSafe to not only review their MHF Guidelines, but to do more in giving practical advice to companies?.

 

George:     Industry is complex and it is unreasonable to expect regulators to know every detail of how a process works. A regulator can know if there is a robust approach to safety, regulatory compliance and management of charge and if this is being practiced by a company.

 

Bronwyn:   The Regs that are being drafted are in the performance base. Guidance will be to help what the regs require.

 

Ian:             With the companies that I have dealt with, they would prefer a “What To Do Guide”.

 

Bronwyn:   Workcover are working on lessons in the regime to streamline Major Hazardous & Dangerous Goods. Putting out guidelines of what they need to look at.

 

Ian:             We cannot say that as a consequence of this that we will have less incidents. It concerns me with all the effort – events still occur.

 

Bronwyn:   It is performance based and left to the company to comply with what is safe because it has been tested. The whole premise gives the sites opportunity to review why things are done the way they are.

 

Robin:        Are there any sites that didn’t do things correctly?

 

Bronwyn:   Terminals have improved their processes from the Safety Cases. Most MHF sites have improved and gone well above minimum control measures.. So they are ahead. There is a lot more internal interest and team building in MHF work forces..

 

ACTION:   WORKSAFE TO PROVIDE THE CD OF THE SWEENEY REPORT ONCE RECEIVED.

                    EXPECTED DELIVERY DATE: SEPT 04.

 

 

ITEM 5.       DETAILED REVIEW OF THE IMPROVEMENT ACTION REPORT (TERMINALS)

 

                    Refer Handout

 

All:               Discussions took place in relation to the presentation of the Report. It was suggested that the layout be revamped to include: Terminals Content Updated on __/__/__. No acronyms to be used full spelling only. Lines to be implemented to define each target objective clearly with target, status & regulatory sign off.

 

Ian:             There is no confirmation from EPA & Worksafe that they have signed off on this Report. It is a controlled document and should be signed off by the company.

 

Carlo:         This a tool of how the company is going and it should be at the end of the status.

 

Robin:        The important thing that it can be put on the website. Each company involved to agree that it is true & correct and signatures should not be required. This is an update. Perhaps have authorised by and the name along with the dates of completed.

 

George:     Perhaps we minute at the meeting that Terminals and the agencies concerned agree that it is done.

 

Robin:        Yes record in the minutes that the 3 parties have answered questions, verified it and the company agrees with it.

 

Peter:         CICCC discusses report and it is put on the end of the table.

 

Robin:        Put a short paragraph in the Media Release and note this at the bottom of the table.

 

George:     The committee should discuss it and make a point of keeping Terminals Pty Ltd honest.

 

Robin:        Have a comment at the bottom of the table:

                    Authorised Carlo Fasolino on behalf of Terminals ______________________

                    Authorised Quentin Cooke on behalf of EPA __________________________

                    Authorised Bronwyn Brookman-Smith on behalf of Worksafe _____________

 

Michael:     The report should be an accurate reflection of the status of what is reported.

 

 

Robin:        Due to time the committee are to complete the review of the improvement action report at the October meeting. Ground Water is to be discussed at the next meeting.

 

ACTION:   CARLO TO ADVISE IAN A TIME TO LOOK AT THE LOADING WITH QUENTIN REGARDING THE BUND REPORT.

 


 

ITEM 6:       AGENDA ITEM 10

 

                    CONFIRM DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE MEETING ON 10 JUNE 2004

                   

Robin:        Apologies from Peter Brotherton

 

George:     Changes to 2 areas:

                    (1) Reported Spill – lump of Tallow not to do with Terminals, and Email from George was sent to Robin deleting reference of the spill. This email was read to the committee.

 

                    (2) Butadine – amended questions & discussion for commercial sensitivity.

 

Robin:        Minutes adopted with George’s comments.

 

ITEM 7:       ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA

 

                    OTHER

 

Deborah:   Concerned in relation to the truck that jackknifed at Flemington Bridge, which put the community in great danger. 10 feet further and it would have hit an electrical substation and caused the whole high rise Housing Commission block to incinerate. Trucks need to be taken into account.

 

Faye:          Look at different ways for trucks to leave Footscray.

 

George:     Gas trucks are dangerous because of expanding vapour explosions.

 

Ian:             Paul Swain gave a report stating incident.

 

Robin:        Time to ask from quantification of local trucks in residential streets.

 

George:     Wasn’t Bruce Mildenhall looking at this?

 

Robin:        We will ask council advice on progress of this issue.

 

Ian:             A Risk Assessment was done by the Government which concluded safe for tankers to go over the West Gate Bridge.

 

George:     Thinks that this committee should discuss matters to do with Coode business. Happy to discuss other issues as long as time permits. The first priority must be to Terminals business.

 

Robin:        Should we pursue truck movements?

 

Peter:         Yes. To see if people are taking shortcuts and find out about the studies.

 

Marg:          Look at Worksafe website to see if anything is mentioned.

 

ACTION:   ROBIN TO GET COUNCIL TO GIVE REPORT

 


 

ITEM 8:       AGENDA ITEM 4

 

                    REPORTS FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS

 

                    TERMINALS

 

George:     U.S. representatives of Kaneb are coming 19.08.04 to do budgets and visit sites.

                    Terminals have secured Orica Phenol business.

                    EPA has granted permission to dump contaminated soil from the east side of Mackenzie Road to landfill next year. Which landfill is still to be decided.

 

George:     Although 2 meetings were scheduled for Phenol, the second would only be held if there were a need to.

 

Robin:        Terminals will provide CICCC with a copy of their letter to the EPA detailing the proposal - this should suffice.

 

Ian:             Wants to look at Phenol sample at the next CICCC meeting.

 

Carlo:         Firm “NO”

 

Other:         Other Committee participants & Terminals did not agree to a sample being brought to the next meeting.

 

Ian:             Next site meeting would like to see Phenol.

 

George:     Notices to customers have been sent to remind them of their obligation for tanks to be empty by 30.11.04 and draw down schedule based on historical off takes was included in the notice. Remediation of site to be tendered and work is scheduled to begin on 01.02.05. Melbourne Port Corporation has been asked for permission to take over the road between B&C East.

 

Robin:        If Marstel are not ready will storage go off site?

 

George:     There is a danger of that, and I do not know what will happen if Marstel are not ready.

 

Bro:             Can we get an official report or timing & direction by the end of the month from DIIRD or the Government.

 

Robin:        Of the Marstel Progress?

 

Quentin:     Attending a meeting to this effect & I will circulate a copy of the minutes to CICCC.

 

 

Robin:        I will make further enquiry before 14.10 meeting. George will advise details of DIIRD Meeting.

 

 

 

                   

AGENCY: EPA

 

Quentin:     Had attended David Horseman’s retirement

 

Robin:        Congratulated Quentin on Temporary Appointment as Acting Manager Western Region

 

Robin:        Distributed Theo Pykoulos map & letter from Council to DOW.

 

                    AGENCY: WORKSAFE

 

Robin:        No Report VWA as Bronwyn had to leave after her presentation.

 

ACTION:   GEORGE TO PROVIDE COPY OF TERMINALS LETTER ON THE PHENOL STORAGE TO EPA TO THE CICCC

 

ACTION:   GEORGE TO ADVISE DETAILS OF DIIRD MEETING.

 

ACTION:   QUENTIN TO PROVIDE MINUTES FROM MARSTEL MEETING.

 

ITEM 9:       AGENDA ITEM 7

 

                    ACTION ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

 

REPORT ON INVESTIGATIONS INTO COMBUSTOR & COMPRESSED AIR ALARMS (TERMINALS).

 

Robin:        Item Deferred

 

ITEM 10:    AGENDA ITEM 8

 

                    REDUCED RISK CONTOURS FOLLOWING CESSATION OF

                    ACRYLONITRILE STORAGE (TERMINALS).

 

Robin:        Item Deferred

 

ITEM 11:    AGENDA ITEM 9

 

                    CORRESPONDENCE

 

                    MAXWELL REPORT RESPONSE 15 JUNE 2004

 

Robin:        No response has been received to date

 

Quentin:     Advised that there has been a draft response and that it may be lost in the mail.

 

Robin:        No response has been received to date

 

ACTION:   ROBIN TO FOLLOW UP BUTADIENE PROPOSAL LETTER TO BRUMBY 15 JUNE 2004


 

ITEM 12:    AGENDA ITEM 11

 

                    NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING

 

Deborah:   Dosen’t think that 5 meetings are enough and suggests 6.

 

ACTION:   NUMBER OF MEETINGS TO BE AN AGENDA ITEM FOR THE NEXT MEETING ON 14.10.04

 

 

MEETING CLOSED: 9.45pm

 

Next meeting: 14 October 2004

Following meeting: 9 December 2004