COODE  ISLAND  

COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE  COMMITTEE

Draft Minutes

Thursday 10 July 2003

PRESENT

Robin Saunders
 CICCC / Chairperson
Ian Thomas 
 community rep./ CICCC committee
Dr Peter Brotherton 
 Combined Enviro. Groups / committee
Deborah Macfarlane 
 community rep./ committee
Paul Haywood
 Operations Man Termls. P/L / committee
Michael Isaachsen 
 community rep./ committee
Bronwyn Brookman Smith 
 MH Div / WorkSafe/ex off comm
Quentin Cooke
 Env. Protection Authority / ex off comm


Margaret Donnan
 Manager, Regulatory Affairs - PACIA
George Horman
 General Man./Terminals P/L 
Andrew Clifton
 Observer
Valerie Gemmell
 Observer
John Leahy
 Port of Melbourne Corporation
Richard Pike 
 Pacific Terminals P/L
Vanessa Richardson 
 minute taker

 



ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR 

* Robin welcomed everyone with a special mention for Valerie Gemmell, Andrew Clifton, John Leahy and Richard Pike.



ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

* Apologies were received from Paul Swain, Colleen Hartland, Ann Murphy, John Luppino and Carlo Fasolino.

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA

* The draft agenda was adopted with deferral of Item 7 (Motion from Ian Thomas) to the next meeting.


ITEM 4. BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

4.1 WorkSafe Report

* Bronwyn said they had attended a HAZOP last week for the nitrogen-air system at the Terminals P/L site on Coode Island.

* In relation to Ian Thomas’s comments (circulated by e-mail on 9th and 10th July 2003) regarding the quote used by WorkSafe from the Regulation Impact Statement (pp 2) Bronwyn said it was taken from the 1996 NOHSC Economic Impact Analysis for the National Standard. As the MHF Regulations were based on the National Standard much of the information in the NOHSC document was used in the Regulatory Impact Statement by WorkSafe. 

Ian said he first raised the matter of the cause of the CI fire at a committee meeting in August 1999. Ian said he was ‘shown items and spoke to officers’ about information that has not been made available to the public, but he is not prepared to name names or detail the evidence he was given. 

Bronwyn said she spoke to other staff members who were working in the relevant departmental sections in the 1990’s and they cannot recall statements like those alleged by Ian. They were not aware of any privileges given to Ian regarding special access to information held by WorkSafe. 

Bronwyn said she started looking at all the written evidence held by WorkSafe and had spoken to personnel within WorkSafe, and some ex-employees, present during the 1990s. Police collected evidence about the fire for the coroner and not WorkSafe . All the information about the fire has been made available to the public in various investigations and inquiries held. Therefore WorkSafe hope comments of the type made by Ian about WorkSafe’s withholding information about ‘ the cause of the fires on the Coode Island site in 1991’ will cease. 

Robin said Terminals have improved their facilities in all the areas that could have started the fire. This matter goes back to 1991 and to before the CICCC was formed. Therefore the matter of the cause of the fire cannot be further advanced by the CICCC. 

Other CICCC members agreed strongly with Robin that at this stage. Robin said the CICCC does not need to deal further with this matter.

4.2 EPA Report

* Quentin said the EPA have received Terminal’s response to queries about the bund report. Terminals have satisfied concerns Quentin raised with them about the bunds which are the subject of ongoing maintenance and surveillance. All parties agree about what works are to proceed. These will be noted in the EIP.

George said there are short and long term actions in the bund report plan. The EIP monthly implementation reports will note the progress of the actions. Further discussion is needed about how best to audit the actions.

* In relation to Robin’s question about how transparent the audit process might be, George said the following 2 steps are taken already

1. The EPA audit the facility,
2. The actions are added to the data list for the Lloyds Audit, and
3. Action are included in the Improvement Action Report.
ACTION: Carlo to provide Robin with advice on the deficiencies in the Bund Report, actions proposed by Terminals to address those deficiencies in the short and long term. They will revise the IAR to document the agreed actions, in order to provide a record of the agreed action and advice as to how and when it is undertaken.

Quentin said the EPA are now requiring companies to provide Greenhouse audits by the end of the year. They will include details about the actions companies are taking to reduce their Greenhouse gas emissions.

* In answer to Peter’s question about differential approach between EPA regions, Quentin said Mick Bourke will follow up informally with Ian about his ‘unequal playing field’ comments.

Robin said the matter had been raised initially at the CICCC meeting attended by Mick Bourke and the CICCC were also expecting to get a response, though it was not anticipated that the response would be detailed. 

ACTION. Quentin to provide a general response on the issue to the CICCC.

4.3 Terminals P/L Report
See Attachment 1.

* There is a lot of extra work on the site with the hazardous activities being carefully monitored by extra supervising staff who have been recently employed. There are three full-time supervisors in the field. There was one injury with a tripping incident in the bund area. Gravel has since been put down to provide a firm footing. A number of Job Safety Analyses are being done.

* Gary Payne has been employed on a contract basis as a Project Engineer/Manager to help implement major Capital Projects.

* WorkSafe have contracted Sweeney Research to interview stakeholders about the effectiveness of the Major Hazard Regulations. Gary Payne was employed to conduct interviews. Several of our staff including George were interviewed during June/ July.

* The Lloyd’s 6-monthly audit on the Environmental Quality Management System was undertaken. All 8 samples in the air-monitoring program were well within allowable limits. No water quality samples were taken.

* All except 3 operators have completed level 2 training modules. Eight operators are proficient in operating and troubleshooting the combusters. 

* Since the site inspection in June, the acrylate project has progressed significantly with the three tanks ‘buttoned up’ and lots of the pipework completed. They will be in service near the end of July 2003.

* George said the ISO 9001 (2000) accreditation has been gained, and now Terminals was moving to continued improvement.
ACTION. George will table a summary of the Lloyds Report at the next CICCC meeting, and will have the complete report available for inspection.

* George said Terminals are no longer storing tallow on their site. The tallow tanks will be upgraded and will be used for the storage of other non-hazardous materials like lube oil, sun oils and high flash combustibles. This will enable the upgrade of Plant B to be continued.

* In answer to Robin’s question about the spill of cumene into the Maribyrnong last year Quentin said it was a spill of 50+ litres which leaked onto the top deck of the Norwegian tanker and then spilt into the bay when a deluge of rain washed the spilt material overboard. The ships scupper would have normally contained such a leak but the added rainwater increased the volume to an extent that caused an overflow.

* Ian said the last HSE sub committee met at the Terminals site and were shown the engineering office. The Residual Risk Matrix is to be revitalised and completed.

Robin pointed out that the matrix had been useful in assisting the CICCC to understand issues and the recent Safety Case had taken this to the next stage. 


ITEM 5. JOHN LEAHY, BUSINESS RISK COORDINATOR, PORT OF MELBOURNE CORPORATION (POMC) - IMPLEMENTATION OF PORT SECURITY CODES OF PRACTICE

See Attachment 2

See Attachment 3


John began his presentation by telling the committee about the United Nations International Maritime Organisation (IMO) of which Australia and many other countries are contracted members. This organisation has put in place codes to protect the member countries from terrorist attack. The codes were being actioned within 12 months, which is a very quick response for such a large organisation.

Australia’s response has been to mainly implement preventative devices to address its transport security need in the air, rail and road sectors. X-ray devices have been widely used, as they are a relatively low cost and unobtrusive checking device.

The Ships Code requires all ships entering the port to have a security plan, ships security officer and an onshore company security officer. 

The Port Code includes a very broad definition for a port. A Port Safety Officer assesses the facility and should a security incident occur, implements a procedure to manage the incident. State government audits these plans.

The Port Facility Security Plan (PFSP) is a risk-based process. Standards have been set for the process.

The implementation of the overall plan is expected to commence in June 2004 following its progress through parliament at the end of 2003. Part of the legislation will include an overriding plan for the security of the whole port and individual sites will also have their own plans for those sites. The Terminals P/L facility is a high priority one. 

The POMC will chair a Port Security Committee. Station Pier which is a high-risk site, will become part of the whole of the port precinct. The Facilities and Ports Authority will fund the whole project.

POMC initiatives will include the upgrading of the CCTV (closed circuit television). Photo identities will be required on the Maribyrnong No1 Berth site. Inspection underneath the berth will be carried out regularly. The port security plan for Coode Island is almost complete. The IAG Pilot Study is nearly complete. 

As yet, no solutions have been concluded for the gatehouse. The Coode Island Users group are still discussing this matter. Under new legislation the POMC’s new security role will enable appropriate security personnel to operate that site. In answer to Ian’s question about the discouragement of the public to access that area from McKenzie Road John said, that at this stage the public can only access the area via the gatehouse for a specific reason. These do not include recreational activities like fishing. The use for the gatehouse may become more evident following the review and the Pilot Study.

Ian made the comment that he has not been challenged at any time by the gatehouse personnel when he has entered that area. He was also able to access the west side of the Maribyrnong River where new fencing has been installed to increase security of that area.

John said the tanks on the east-side of McKenzie Road will be relocated for improved security reasons especially while trucks are still entering via McKenzie Road. A few options are being considered to improve the security of this area.

George said the CIUG have determined the gatehouse to be ineffective. The public are now notified that on entering the area they will be watched by camera.

Ian said the security at Parliament House Canberra was taken very seriously resulting in many guards patrolling the facility.

John said such measures as those implemented in Canberra are very expensive operations to run.

Robin said the Safety Case indicated that a terrorist attack on the Terminals site on Coode Island would not result in extreme consequences for the community.

Deborah said that any terrorist attack would be bad for the community.

George said the proposed port security measures would protect against vandalism more than terrorism.

John said the following proposed improved measures could be expanded overtime
• swipe card use
• locked gates
• access by car only .

In answer to Robin’s question about trucks on McKenzie Road John said it is proposed to include a barrier and a separate lane for the P&O trucks travelling east at McKenzie Road.

In answer to Ian’s question about risks to the community, John said he has read the Marstel and Terminals Risk Assessment documents. The POMC will be guided in these matters by the EPA and WorkSafe.

In answer to Robin’s question about the CICCC letter to Neil Edwards about the security study at Coode Island by the Intelligent Outcomes Group, John said that due to the confidential nature of the information he can not say a great deal to the public ( and CICCC). The Threat Assessment document will not be a public document but members of the public will be interviewed for input to the assessment. A summary of findings for the public will be published at the completion of the assessment. He said the POMC represent the wider port facility and so they are limited in the time they can allocate to smaller committees like the CICCC, the Marstel CCC and Docklands. However the smaller committees will be addressed by POMC as needed.

In answer to Michael’s question about the port security completion time lines, activities are to follow the following plan

• The Maribyrnong No1 Berth security plan is 90% completed, then 
• The whole of the port plan will be implemented, followed by
• The implementation of security plans for 5-6 specific facilities.

John said the most vulnerable sites include No1 Maribyrnong, Station Pier and the container sites at P&O and Patrick P/L facilities.

In answer to Quentin’s questions, John said the IMO Standards guidelines are prescriptive in general terms for personnel and system requirements based on risk assessments. He said compliance at this stage is reasonable or though there are some deficiencies over all, and on specific facility sites that have been the responsibility of owner companies.

Robin thanked John for his presentation.


ITEM 6. RICHARD PIKE, PACIFIC TERMINALS P/L (PT)- COODE ISLAND.

* Richard said Pacific Terminals have occupied part of Coode Island since the late 70’s. They occupy two separate sites
1. Opposite Picnic Point where they store vegetable oils and tallow products
2. Site C (between two sites leased by Terminals Pty Ltd) which is used for non-toxic and non-corrosive chemical storage. 

The only combustible products stored at the facility (2 in total) are diesel and oil products. They require a very strong ignition source for a fire to occur (high flash). 

Valerie said that that once high flash products have been ignited they are more difficult to extinguish.

* Richard said neopentalglycol has a flash point of 132º C and a burning fire point of 400º C. These products are used in resins and clear coat ducos. A gas fired closed hot water system is used to heat the material to a temperature of 60º C so it can be transported.

High Tech 5CCC is an oil type substance used in lube oils.

There are a further 8 lube oil additives stored on the site, which need to be heated before they can be pumped.

Pacific Terminals also store and export large amounts of tallow. These volumes are reducing at the moment due to the reducing cattle numbers in recent drought years. Tallow is used in the production of margarine and soaps following a bleaching process with a clay product.

Epoxy reins are also stored. They are one component of Araldite.

Wax is stored, and it is used in cardboard box manufacture, to strengthen boxes for use in cold stores.

Palm oil is also stored.

ACTION. Richard will e-mail to Robin, a list of the materials stored on the PT site.

*The Pacific Terminals company is ISO 9001 (2000) accredited. Richard said the Pacific Terminals site generates 30 tons of waste per year from the tallow bleaching process. Organic recyclers take a lot of the by-products. They are exploring the possible future implementation of an environmentally accredited code. Last year the company as a whole was awarded an NSCA 3 star rating and their Coode Island site was awarded a 2 star rating. It was reduced from 3 stars the previous year to 2 stars this year due to an increase in on-site injuries. A number of changes to improve the safety standards of the company operations have been implemented (including changed operating procedures, training and assessment). An Occupational Health and Safety Officer is employed in Sydney.

Pacific Terminals employs 44 staff with a low turn over of their staff. The ‘least experienced’ member of staff has worked on Coode Island for the past 6 years and the ‘most experienced’ has worked at the facility for 16 years. Two staff members at the Melbourne facility are qualified mechanical engineers from the mining and chemical industries. The company is expanding its qualified staff numbers.

Pacific Terminals is a private company owned by Gardiner Smith who are commodity traders. They have operated for 80 years with their head office located in Sydney. They operate other facilities in Fremantle, Adelaide, Tasmania, Northern Territory, New Zealand, Shanghai and Houston.

Pacific Terminals handles some 110,000 tonnes of product each year, of which some 12,000 represents imports of chemicals, and 98,000 tonnes is tallow and vegetable oils (50,000 tonnes exported, 48,000 tonnes imported).
Their site on the Coode Island includes the only available vacant land area at Coode Island, and has a lease term of 20 years. Plans are being drawn up for its future use as storage for non-hazardous goods like vegetable oils. 

In answer to Michael’s question Richard said their major land transport activity was for a distance of 5 kms to their major customer - Meadow Lea P/L in Footscray.

In answer to Robin’s point that it is important for companies like PT to have an open dialogue their local communities, Richard said PT are very happy to continue consulting with the CICCC and other committees. He said he was happy to have met with the CICCC members and would be happy to present a more formal presentation on other matters if need be.

Robin suggested Pacific Terminals might like to discuss their proposed Work Approval application with the CICCC before submitting it to the authorities.

ACTION. Richard and Robin will discuss the timelines for the PT Works Approval application.

Robin thanked Richard for his presentation, a sentiment warmly supported by Ian..


ITEM 7. MOTION FROM IAN THOMAS

Deferred to the next meeting.



ITEM 8. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING 
12 June 2003.


* Ian suggested that the minute taking would benefit if recordings were made of each meeting. 
Other CICCC members objected to such a suggestion saying the minutes could then become a 20-page document rather than the 11 page summaries that currently apply. 

Robin said that everyone has the opportunity and responsibility to adjust the draft minutes before they are finally adopted and posted on the web site.

* The minutes were adopted with minor amendment.


ITEM 9. 


CORRESPONDENCE OUT

* Letter of invitation to MPC.

ACTION. Robin will contact Nick Easy of POMC and invite him to the next CICCC meeting, to make a presentation on the Port Buffer Strategy.



ITEM 10. 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

* Letter from WorkSafe re evaluation of MH Regs. 
Already circulated to everyone.

* MPC/VCA brochure on channel deepening
Some months ago the CICCC raised a number of issues regarding possible seabed contamination when materials are dredged for the channel deepening process. These issues have now been comprehensively included in the scope of the ES. As a result of preliminary studies which have found high levels of contamination in the bay floor, further work is being undertaken. The timetable for the EES has been put back by about 12 months to allow time for the additional work. A recent article in The Age reported the issue extensively.



ITEM 11. ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING


11.1 Improvement Action Report.
Quentin will advise on the sign-off for work done to-date.. WorkSafe can signoff on implementation, but not against regulatory requirements. On receipt of EPA advice, and update of the report, the Improvement Action Report will be posted to the CICCC web site.

11.2 Emergency management material. Previously circulated to everyone for comment.

11.3 UNEP Geneva workshop case study on the CICCC web site.

ACTION. Deferred to the next meeting.

11.4 Road tanker spill report.

ACTION. Deferred to the next meeting.

11.5 Emergency telephone system trail and posting of article on CICCC web site.
ACTION. John to discuss at the next meeting.



ITEM 12. OTHER BUSINESS

12.1 Response to advertisement for expressions of interest from the community to join the CICCC.

ACTION. Defer to an early time at the next meeting when all CICCC members are present.

* Ian requested Valerie and Andrew present to the CICCC some information about themselves.

* Andrew tabled a brochure showing plans of the Maribyrnong River Area which has been earmarked for future economic and social development. Some of the proposed developments encroach on the Exclusion Zone for Coode Island. He also has a CD which includes further details. The material was funded by 3 local councils - Maribyrnong, Mooney Valley and Melbourne.

ACTION. Robin will obtain further copies for the CICCC.

* In response to Valerie’s query about the numbers of applicants for the position of community representatives on the CICCC Robin said she and Andrew were the only people who expressed an interest with him.

ACTION. Robin will give Valerie a copy of the CICCC Charter to consider before finally deciding whether or not to proceed with her expression of interest. 

Note: all information about the CICCC “charter” is on the CICCC web site.

* Valerie has concerns about the length of the meetings, and she is not sure if she wants to be subjected to the ‘repugnant process’ of asking the potential new CICCC members to leave the room while their suitability for the CICCC is discussed. She said she has not encountered such a process previously and she would rather be present to answer any question raised about her.

Deborah said the same process is followed for all new CICCC members.

Robin said the consensus is made mainly by the community representatives on the CICCC with input from Terminals and the council representatives.

Andrew said there were economic responsibilities/concerns associated with the Terminals paid sitting fee.


12.2 CICCC articles.

* Robin requested the CICCC’s approval to put his relevant article on the web site. Ian said he would agree is he could put two strongly worded objections. 

Deborah said all CICCC were entitled to put their articles on the CICCC as links to the web page. She has read Ian’s objections to Robin’s article and she suggested Ian write an article in response.

George suggested this matter needs to be thought through carefully.

* Robin said it might be necessary for him to control information that might lead to possible legal action against committee members, including the chair. He said all the committee members have a responsibility to read and amend the draft minutes so they are as accurate as possible.

Ian said there was one instance at a meeting where Peter Brotherton ‘took exception to all of them (minuted notes)’ like Ian said he was doing tonight.


ITEM 13. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING 14 August 2003

* See the ACTION ITEMS above.

* Consider a presentation from the HSE sub committee about the products stored on the Terminals site.

Andrew suggested the input of suitable information from the EPA Odour Library.

CLOSE. 

10.10pm




NEXT MEETINGS 



Thursday 14 August 2003
11 September, 9 October, 13 November and 11 December 2003.





CICCC ATTACHMENTS TO DRAFT MINUTES 10 JULY 2003



ATTACHMENT 1 Terminals Monthly Operations Report. June 2003.

ATTACHMENT 2 Correspondence from Neil Edwards POMC, 9 July 2003.
ATTACHMENT 3 Copy of overheads - POMC Port Security presentation. 
(UNAVAILABLE)

 

 

  Get this as a Microsoft Word document