COODE  ISLAND  

COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE  COMMITTEE

Adopted Minutes

Thursday 12 June 2003

PRESENT

Robin Saunders
  CICCC / Chairperson

John Luppino
  City of Marib./GM City Dev / committee

Ian Thomas 
  community rep./ CICCC committee

Carlo Fasolino
  State Man. Terminals P/L / committee

Dr Peter Brotherton
  Combined Enviro. Groups / committee

Deborah Macfarlane 
  community rep./ committee

Paul Haywood
  Operations Man Termls. P/L / committee

 Faye Simpson
 
community rep./ CICCC committee

Michael Isaachsen 
  community rep./ committee

 

Paul Swain
  MFB / ex off comm

Bronwyn Brookman Smith
 
 MH Div / WorkSafe/ex off comm

Quentin Cooke
 Env. Protection Authority / ex off comm

Ann Ferguson
 Community Relations, EPA

George Horman
  General Man./Terminals P/L 

Andrew Clifton
  Marstel P/ L Commun. Group

Kevin Shea
  Chairperson CIUG

Ann Murphy
  Melb University - PhD student

Vanessa Richardson
  minute taker

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

* Robin welcomed everyone with a special mention for Ann Murphy and Kevin Shea.

 

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

* Apologies were received from Colleen Hartland, Marg Donnan and Jarrod Edwards.

 

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA

* The draft agenda was adopted.

 

ITEM 4. BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

4.1 Terminals P/L Report

* George said Terminals P/L have recently received an invitation from DIIRD to consider extending the lease on the east side, for a further 12 month period until the Marstel site is operating. He said Terminals will probably agree to continue the lease to cover the now acknowledged 'gap period'.

* During the month Carlo attended the meeting of all Terminals state managers chaired 
by Fred Johnson from the USA.

A new administration computing software system has been installed in the head office. The Microsoft product name is Naviscon. In the meantime the e-mailing system is not operational so all correspondence must be faxed to Terminals.

Terminals operations staff attended a HAZOP review. George apologised to the CICCC that Terminals had not invited the CICCC to attend the HAZOP which he said, was an oversight.

The SIL study on the new VECS was completed. The SIL study verifies that the selection and testing of the instrumentation on the VECS meets the required reliability. Paul H said the final SIL study will be sent to the Office of Gas Safety.

Bronwyn said WorkSafe acknowledge the SIL Study as a recognised program used in these circumstances. Further studies are a condition of the Terminals Major Hazards Licence, and Terminals elected to do the SIL study as one of these. It measures the way the ducting system interacts with the combusters. The results are then reviewed by the Office of Gas Safety. Mike Walsh is the consultant doing the work. He has experience conducting HAZOP and SIL studies.

* Robin reminded Terminals and agencies about their agreement to keep the CICCC informed in timely manner.

George said it can be hard for them to be clear in advance of the dates for things like HAZOPS. Many people have to be coordinated and therefore this sometimes has to happen at short-term notice when everyone is available. He will continue to do his best to give as much notice as possible of future HAZOP meetings.

* Quentin asked Carlo for a current EIP progress report. He said it was very good to see today when touring the site with the other CICCC members that the long awaited progress has been made on the site. He said the site is quite different to the old one. In particular he was impressed to see the improvements to the acrylonitrile storage, the foam blanketing for the Acrylonitrile bund, tanks and the tank bases. The acrylates are to be stored in the upgraded facilities.

ACTION. Carlo will present a progress report on the EIP at the next meeting. He will e-mail the updated Improvement Action Report to Robin this week, for posting to the CICCC web site.

* Robin asked whether it was ideal to have earth and weeds growing in the bunds. He wondered if there is value in removing them so the site looks better maintained.

George said the 'grass' is not a hazard because it does not interfere with the operations on the site. Aesthetic needs are a long-term priority at the moment but in future they will be under better control when bunds are upgraded.

* In answer to Deborah's question about the number of completed acrylate tank upgrades, Carlo said 
- 2 are back down on their new bases
- 5 are still raised of the ground but their bases are complete 
- 3 have been completed.

* Ian stated strongly that the upgrade changes he saw on the Terminals site today were 'Rolls Royce and phenomenal'. 

4.2 EPA Report

* Quentin said the EPA have been conducting the annual review of the EIP covering the Maribyrnong No1 Berth. The main object has been to have no emissions during the transferring of goods on the wharf. There have not been any reports of odorous emissions in recent times. The future return of ethyl acrylate will test the system further. The construction of the Marstel pipelines will commence on the jetty in the next 3 months. The CIUG are involved in the coordination of the pipeline construction. More pipelines are going to cause further congestion on the jetty.

In answer to Robin's question about the number of pipelines on the jetty, Bronwyn said as a result of Marstels added lines, there will be some duplication of pipes with about 14 additional pipes (2 for each of 7 products) on the jetty for Marstel's use. Quentin said Marstels lines are nearly all dedicated lines which offer better outcomes environmentally.

The EPA are working with Department of Infrastructure (DoI) and MPC in a study of the buffer zones around the port including the Coode Island area. QEST P/L and Maunsell are the consultants undertaking the study. Hugh Jones (QEST) is managing the study. Quentin suggests that the CICCC consider having input into the study.


* Kevin said John Leigh is the new MPC representative on the CIUG. 

Robin said there are numerous projects/studies the CICCC need to comment on. They include -
o the wharf
o the buffer zones
o security of the port
o sewerage system on CI.
He suggested inviting Chris Whittaker new Chair for from MPC to attend a CICCC meeting soon to update the committee on the progress of the studies. John Leigh can give further detail about the studies.

* Kevin said the Intelligent Outcomes Group have been appointed federally to examine the security/safety issues associated with the port. 


ACTION. Kevin will share the report with the CICCC when it is complete.
ACTION. Robin to invite a senior representative of MPC to address the next CICCC meeting, and seek a permanent MPC representative to the CICCC.


* Quentin said the EPA obtained the highest monetary fine in its prosecution history recently when Mobil Oil Australia P/L was convicted in the Magistrate's Court. The oil company pleaded guilty and was fined $50,000 on charges of air and water pollution for an incident that took place at Holden Dock on July 5, 2001. They were also ordered to pay costs of $33,000. They were found guilty of allowing 4,000 litres of ballast contaminated with petrol to spill into the port. The press release about the court ruling was e-mailed to everyone 28 May 2003.

* Faye asked about the road tanker spill reported in today's media. 

Paul Swain said a tanker negotiating a steep slope accidentally broke off a valve which resulted in a spill of 5,000 litres of petrol. It took about 4 hours to bund and control the spill.

George said the tankers are fitted with external and internal valves, the internal valves fitted to stop spills if the outside valves are broken off in accidents. He therefore thinks that further damage like truck tank splitting may have occurred, resulting in the spill. Otherwise it would probably have been averted, if just an outside valve were knocked off accidentally. Such a spill could happen at the Terminals site or anywhere else for that matter. The mechanisms controlling the valve vary from date/model of one tanker to another. Gate breaks are interlocked with valves, so the valve has to close before the truck can be moved.

ACTION. Paul will report on the incident at the next meeting.

* Quentin advised the committee of the work recently undertaken by EPA officer Wayne Bergin. Wayne investigated the emissions from chemical parcel tankers while gas freeing and washing their cargo tanks at the Outer Anchorage in Port Phillip Bay. 
A copy of Wayne's report on the inspection of MS Stolt Lily, while tank-cleaning operations were undertaken at the Outer Anchorage report was tabled for everyone.

* In answer to Ian's question about where Terminals now store their ethyl acrylate (EA), George said Terminals stopped storing EA in Oct/ Nov 2001. The customer then moved the EA storage to Port Botany at a competitor's facility. The EA was then moved to isotainers from Port Botany after odour complaints. The plan is to return EA to CI when the storage facilities for those products have been upgraded and the combusters will be able to deal with emissions from their storage tanks.

4.3 WorkSafe Report

* Bronwyn said the WorkSafe report covers many of the same points as the EPA report. They too have been involved in the meetings at 
o the Maribyrnong No1 Berth concerning the Marstel development and associated safe work practises,
o discussion about the scope of the port land use Buffer Zone. Jarrod from MFB has also been attending, and
o the MPC Security Study.

They are currently working with Terminals on preparing the oversight program.


4.4 Maribyrnong City Council Report

* John thanked those who sent him comments about the draft brochure that he tabled at the last meeting. Another draft will be circulated for comments before the final design is printed for circulation to the community. 

* Expidite P/L have given a demonstration of the software for the emergency telephone system. At the moment they are assessing the possibility of extending the system to other communities in the area that have Major Hazard sites in their locality. The system will be trialed in September 2003. Questionnaires will be included in the trialing so feedback comments can be incorporate in the design improvements. The final system is likely to be operating by September 2004. 

In answer to Michael's question John said the system would be capable of leaving a message on an answering machine. People will have to sign up by adding their number to a database to access the service. The information will be available in a number of languages. Further work needs to be completed to determine how quickly the information can be translated and made available.

Deb said that the MFB (contact Martez Cainas) have been working on similar issues associated with the timely translation of information. They might have contacts and information of use to the Maribyrnong project.

There will also be other ways the information can be sourced, for instance from local radio stations and/or council phone numbers provided for emergency information as is printed on the fridge magnets. The brochure advises people what to do in an emergency. The Functions Room at the council building has extra lines connected. It could be used as an operations room to take the extra calls over and above those that the switchboard can handle. An Industry Hotline is also being developed. 

Faye said Telstra can allocate and guarantee high priority lines and numbers for emergency high usage operations. 

John said the information for the community will be continually updated as needed.

ACTION. John will write to CICCC members asking them to participate in the trial. Include Robin in the trial too.

ACTION. John will send a copy of the article about the emergency telephone messaging service recently published in the Government News to Robin, for posting on the CICCC web site. 




4.5 MFB Report.

* Paul said there have not been any incidents during the last month at the Terminals site. 

In answer to queries at the last meeting Paul said he audited the Terminals file to see what has been required of Terminals in regard to adequate vehicle access to all areas in the case of a fire. He said the MFB have no issues with the current access arrangements. Any changes that may be required over time as activities on the site vary, will be covered in the 'Licence Oversight Plans' document.

George said Terminals continue to notify MFB of the changes as required. He said that some tightening up of regularity of reporting might be needed.

Paul said WorkSafe and the EPA are notified of imminent changes on the site that might affect fire-fighting operations.

ITEM 5. KEVIN SHEA. CHAIRPERSON COODE ISLAND USERS GROUP (CIUG)

* Kevin said the CIUG are focusing on the following issues

o the Port Security study

o another field or desktop emergency operations exercise for the CI tenants. This will follow the release of the Intelligence Outcomes Group report.

o 'Communications Documentation' where by those on the island will control and communicate between themselves about emergency incidents that occur. It will result in everyone on the island communicating and so being informed about an incident. They can then secure their own sites if necessary. Kevin said he attends the Port Emergency Planning meetings too.

Paul said there may also be some sharing of emergency resource in the future. 

Carlo said these resources for use in an emergence on the island, are currently listed in Port of Melbourne Emergency Plan. 

George said emergency communications on the island for large and minor incident reporting are channeled via a pager which contacts 30 numbers/members of the CI group of companies and associates.

* The extension of the sewer to CI project is progressing with the design consultants starting work soon. Government and private parties are still disputing about the infrastructure for the project. This is holding up the progress somewhat.

* The CIUG have recently discussed 'consultation processes'. They want to see one mechanism for doing this and see that the exchange of reps between meetings as the best option for the near future. The net will probably need to be cast wider to include others who have shown interest in consulting. This includes Melbourne City Council and other municipalities in the area. Kevin said he will attend the next Marstel meeting to pass on the same information.

Robin told Kevin that in response to CICCC correspondence, Marstel have agreed in principle with the merger of the CICCC and the Marstel Consultative Group (MCG) in 12-18 months when the new Marstel site is operational. In the meantime the CICCC will continue to monitor CI and Terminals P/L operations and invite others to meetings for a wider view and information sharing purposes. Pacific Terminals will be invited to attend the CICCC meeting next month.

* Kevin said a new group the 'Melbourne Ports Operations Group' has been established and they met for the first time last week. They were formed as a follow on from the recent channel deepening project discussions. They acknowledged that the communities most affected by imminent changing transport movements are unaware of the proposed changes.

* Alan White (MPC) and Vic Roads are currently accumulating all the studies that have been conducted for the port. They will put the on the DoI website so everyone can share the current information about the port.

John Luppino said the Maribyrnong City Council have already completed such an audit in their Urban Planning Unit.

* George said the CIUG is no longer as dynamic as it has been. It only meets quarterly nowadays and lacks direction for the future. He sees that the CICCC has completed most of the complex tasks associated with the redevelopment of the Terminals site and is now mainly monitoring the site. He sees the possibility for the CICCC to take on a consultative role for the bigger changes that are proposed for the port, as they will impact on the community around the port. It is not enough to only have the merging of 2 consultative groups (Marstel and Terminals) and suggests the CIUG should also be included in the merger. The ability of the CICCC to impact discussion on port issues is diminished if it does not merge with other groups. 

Kevin said the MPC buffer zone study and the other studies around the port at present, are of interest to the CICCC and the CIUG. 

George said the Melbourne Port Security report is an example of a report that the CICCC is unaware of and has no action plan for influencing.

Kevin said there is a need for only one scrutinising group. It may be useful to be more permanently involved with MPC meetings. Current major issues the CICCC could be commenting on include

o MP Land Use Buffer Zone study
o Port Security
o Transport in port area.

Robin suggested that the CICCC should seek to achieve good consultative outcomes for the future issues it needs to be considering and determine how to most usefully input to proposed changes. 

Ian said in previous years, the CICCC has invited others like the MPC to become members of the CICCC but they have not accepted the invitation.

Robin said for example the MPC were invited early meetings of the CICCC which they attended. As their role at that time was mainly as the landlord, by mutual agreement they had stopped attending, with the understanding that if the CICCC wished them to attend a particular meeting, it would specifically invite them. It might be a good time to revisit this matter of invitations to others to join the CICCC. We need to invite stakeholders to CICCC meetings.

Bronwyn said the MPC and VCA will become an entity called the Port of Melbourne Corporation in July 2003. The Executive Chairman of MPC is Neil Edwards. Chris Whittaker is the CEO.

Robin said George has given the CICCC an interesting and challenging topic to discuss and resolve.

ACTION. This matter will be further discussed at the next meeting.

ACTION. Robin , Michael and Ian will attend the next CIUG on Wednesday 23 July 2003. The venue is the P&O boardroom in McKenzie Road from 9:00 to 11:00am.



ITEM 6. BUND REPORT. (CARLO FASOLINO)

* Carlo said that this item was misrepresented and bund report had already been presented to the committee. What was discussed was EPA's response back to Terminals about the Bund report, which Terminals was still to reply to.

ACTION. Carlo will include an update on the bunds in the Terminals Monthly Operations reports. 




ITEM 7. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING 

8 May 2003.

ACTION. Jarrod will e-mail a few minor changes to Robin this week.




ITEM 8. 

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

* Advertisement, call for expression of interest in the position of community representatives, placed in the Footscray Mail and the Williamstown Advertiser on 4 June. This went on page 5 of the papers, a prominent position.

Val Gemmell and Andrew Clifton may be interested in being CICCC members.


* Education Flier.

A copy of the 2-page flier was emailed to everyone. Next Thursday Robin and Deborah meet with principles of schools in the area. They will advise them that the Coode Island and the CICCC may be of interest to students as a local case study for subjects like Politics or Social Studies, and to tell them about the resources available including the CICCC web site and the press clipping file. 

ITEM 9. 

CORRESPONDENCE IN

* EPA Media Release re Mobil fine.

* Acknowledgment of submission to 'Melbourne 2030' Project



ITEM 10. ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

8.1 Possible letter to DIIRD re 'gap'

* Ian said he valued the recording of such issues in writing. 

Robin suggested that the issue could be noted in the media release, and this was agreed.
ACTION. Include the above information in the media release.

ITEM 11. OTHER BUSINESS

11.1 Safety Case Security

* Robin has returned the CICCC copy of the Safety Case to Terminals for security reasons. Terminals will make the report available to all bona fide people who apply to see it. There is a summary to be kept at the local library. These requirements for access to the documentation are in line with the regulations.

* Paul Swain said in a new initiative, the MFB are also returning similar documentation to companies for improved security measures.


11.2 North and West Melbourne Local Area Meeting (27 May 2003)

* Robin attended the meeting with 35 other people. He spoke to the meeting about the role and current work of the CICCC. 


11.3 UNEP Geneva Workshop - CICCC Case Study

* Robin emailed to the CICCC a case study entitled 'CICCC - An Australian Community Based Watchdog' which was presented to a UNEP workshop held in Geneva. 
ACTION. Robin will check with the community representatives as to the value of adding this paper to the resources on the CICCC web site.


11.4 Motions from Ian Thomas

Defer to next meeting.
ACTION. Ian will provide a short paper to the Chair for circulating 


11.5 Channel Deepening project progress.

See attachment 2 previously emailed.
* Robin spoke about the note he had circulated by email documenting the studies being undertaken for the Channel Deepening EES. The advice from Lisa Faldon described in the note of the very comprehensive study on seabed contamination, the effects on the eco-system of its removal and storage, and potential for mobilisation of contaminants.


11.6 CICCC Web Site.

* Robin said that most material posted to the web site since February had been lost due to a virus. He has resubmitted the missing material to the web site manager, and the web site has been updated.


11.7 Melbourne Museum of Printing.

* Michael tabled photos of the new premises for the Melbourne Museum of Printing. It will only house 5% of the museums large collection. The rest is stored in various facilities. The museum needs a sponsor to assure a future for the collection.

Web site address: www.BalanceResearch.com/museum

 

ITEM 12. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING 10 July 2003

* See the ACTION ITEMS above.

CLOSE. 

9.45pm

NEXT MEETINGS 


Thursday 10 July 2003

Thursday 14 August 2003

11 September, 9 October, 13 November and 11 December 2003.


CICCC ATTACHMENTS TO DRAFT MINUTES 13 JUNE 2003



ATTACHMENT 1 Terminals Monthly Operations Report. April 2003.

ATTACHMENT 2 Report on Channel Deepening EES studies (previously emailed )

 

 

  Get this as a Microsoft Word document