COODE  ISLAND  

COMMUNITY CONSULTATIVE  COMMITTEE

Adopted Minutes

Thursday 8 May 2003

PRESENT

Ian Thomas 
  community rep./ CICCC committee
Carlo Fasolino 
  State Man. Terminals P/L / committee
Dr Peter Brotherton 
  Combined Enviro. Groups / committee
Colleen Hartland
  Councillor City Maribyrnong /committee
Deborah Macfarlane 
  community rep./ committee
Paul Haywood
  Operations Man Termls. P/L / committee
Margaret Donnan
  Manager Reg. Aff. PACIA / committee
Faye Simpson
  community rep./ CICCC committee
Michael Isaachsen 
  community rep./ committee
Jarrod Edwards 
  WorkCover / ex off comm
Paul Swain
  MFB / ex off comm
Bronwyn Brookman Smith 
  MH Div / WorkSafe/ex off comm
Quentin Cooke
  Env. Protection Authority / ex off comm
John Luppino 
  City of Maribyr, GM City Dev 
Vanessa Richardson 
  minute taker
 

ITEM 1. WELCOME BY THE CHAIR

* Ian Thomas volunteered to chair the meeting while Robin is over seas. He welcomed the committee members and others including the new members - Paul Swain from MFB and Colleen Hartland, Councillor Maribyrnong City Council (MCC).

 

ITEM 2. APOLOGIES

* Apologies were received from George Horman.

ITEM 3. CONFIRMATION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA

* The draft agenda was adopted with the following additions

• Lease extension discussion - Quentin.

• Frequency of Meetings

• Coode Island Users Group attendance and the CICCC

 

ITEM 4. BRIEF REPORT FROM AGENCIES AND TERMINALS ON KEY ISSUES

4.1 MFB Report

* Jarrod reported on behalf of the MFB. The MFB did not have any need for contact with Terminals P/L during the previous month.

· In response to Deborah’s query Jarrod said that the MFB have requested, as part of comment on the Environment Improvement Plan (EIP), that Terminals continue to investigate opportunities to enhance vehicular access as part of any upgrade of the site. The MFB will also request that ongoing enhancement of vehicle access is monitored as part of WorkSafe’s MHF licence oversight activities. The installation of water deluge systems on clustered tanks has increased the tank fire management potential where limited vehicle access may prohibit manual fire fighting activities.

Carlo said the present upgraded fire fighting facilities are about 3 times more than are required by the regulations covering fire-fighting requirements in these situations. He said vehicle access to tanks was different to the matter of space between tanks. The vehicle access to strategic areas is most relevant when accessing and fighting a fire. He said that a fire at Coode Island can be combated.

Deborah asked about the difference between the strategic points that existed in the 1991 fire (which the coroner said must be improved) and those that exist on the site today. She also asked if on a case by case basis it made any difference to a fire hazard, which materials were stored in which tank, relative to the other materials stored in nearby tanks.

Paul Haywood said the area along the riverbank is more accessible than in 1991. This allows vehicles to move along the riverbank and not amongst the tanks to the same extent as previously. Tank content, including ‘plume modelling are calculated for each tanks. The further inclusion of firm ground underneath for vehicles in wet conditions could be further improved. The Safety Case considered worst case scenarios which have been covered by that report.

Carlo added that the container park has been moved so that access would be improved.

 

ACTION. Paul Swain will take on notice a query about the width of the vehicle access gaps between the tanks (as noted by Trevor Perkins at a previous CICCC meeting). He will get a list of any fire fighting operational problem areas so they can be followed up by the CICCC over time.

ACTION. Jarrod (in association with the MFB) will list for the next meeting the items in the EIP submission made by the MFB.

ACTION. WorkSafe will report to the CICCC in July on the finalised site plan for the terminal.

 

* Peter said that the CICCC have not had a recent tour of the Terminals site. He suggested that the CICCC full committee visit the site twice a year.

Quentin suggested that the on site tours coincide with milestone achievements in the EIP.

ACTION. Next CICCC meeting on 12 June 2003.

4.30pm Gate 1 Terminals Site on Coode Island

Tour of the site followed by CICCC meeting

* In answer to Faye’s questions Paul Swain said that all Major Hazard facilities like Terminals P/L are graded by the MFB as having the highest priority. When fighting a fire on a specific site they use the written information in the Emergency Information Book, prepared by the facility in conjunction with the MFB, held in a cabinet on site for each facility. The combustors on site are not considered to present Terminals as a greater risk in relation to emergency response. An emergency incident is managed according to the conditions at the time, with the safety of the fire-fighters being paramount.

Ian said it could be useful for the public to also have the detailed Emergency Information book material that is available to the fire fighters.

In response to a statement made by Ian, Paul said that the public are kept away from emergency incidents to ensure their safety and not because the fire fighters are trying to hide any aspects of their emergency response.

Paul said the Safety Case and the Emergency Plan were developed in consultation with the MFB over a period of 18 months. He said opportunities have been made for everyone to have input and their comments have been noted and planned for.

Bronwyn said that MFB have predetermined assignment of vehicles based on an assessment of different facilities.

Jarrod added that this Assignment Rule has not changed since the combusters have been installed but it has been changed on other occasions as needed, like when McKenzie Road was upgraded and water supply from town main water was temporarily isolated. Comparatively, more appliances are initially sent to Coode Island than for instance to a suburban house.

Paul said each individual fire is approached uniquely according to its particular features. These always vary from fire to fire. However the priority of fire brigade intervention activities follows the same following steps:

1. SIZE UP. Go and assess the fire, develop response strategy and bring in the necessary units to fight the fire.

2. RESCUE.

3. EXPOSURE

4. CONFINEMENT

5. EXTINGUISHMENT

6. FIRE DUTY (CLEAN UP).

n answer to Colleen’s question Bronwyn said that Safety Cases are not made available to the public for security reasons. Regulation 505 of the MHF Regulations requires that the local community is provided with information concerning the safety of the MHF. This information is held in the local community and public libraries.

The information includes the following:

· The name and location of the facility and the name, position and phone number of the contact person from whom further information can be obtained

· A general description of the operations of the facility, a description of the Schedule 1 materials present or likely to be present at the facility, the hazards and major incidents and the consequences of a major incident

· The means by which the local community will be notified of the occurrence of a major incident and the action that members of the local community should take in the event of a major incident occurring.

Jarrod said that members of the community can request additional information concerning safety directly from the MHF. The facility may choose to leave out the confidential information. The regulations put the onus on the operator to state why certain information cannot be made available to the community.

Ian commended the EPA on their process which makes information available to the public. He said that the CICCC have concerns that the Dangerous Goods documentation makes less information available for public scrutiny.

ACTION. Carlo will give a copy of the safety case to Colleen. There is one copy in the CICCC library.

 

4.2 EPA Report

* Quentin said this month the EPA approved Terminal’s EIP. It operates for the next three-year period.

* They responded to the Bund Report which Terminals submitted during the month. Terminals presented their bund report at a previous meeting.

 

4.3 WorkSafe Report

 

* Bronwyn said WorkSafe made the necessary follow-ups on the forklift operator return to work program .

* Quentin said DIIRD held a meeting to discuss the lease extension. She said that work on the Marstel site commenced 2 months ago. It will take 14 months to complete the construction. It is not yet determined when the transfer of materials will occur, or precisely when the remediation of the E-side of McKenzie Road will commence. She said the Terminals lease can be extended as a way of negating a gap to storage.

Quentin said there will be another meeting with DIIRD in the next month to finalise the timelines for the completion of the construction of the Marstel site. It is planned that the changeover will be well coordinated and harmonious and without any gaps in storage.

In answer to Colleen’s question about possible serious consequences if there is a gap in storage arrangements, Carlo said that Terminals will continue at present with the storage of materials until Jan 2004. Marstel are scheduled to complete construction in May 2005. He said Terminals will consider operating the E-side until the Marstel facility is completed. There are implications for the Terminals Safety Case.

Quentin said those who attended the meeting included PPC, DIIRD, EPA, chemical companies and Terminals P/L.

Peter noted that those who would hold the lease beyond 2005- Marstel P/L, were not invited to the recent DIIRD meeting? He noted that a 3rd extension of time will result in a further cost which will be met by the public purse.

Ian suggested the CICCC write to DIIRD stating concerns about the gap.

Deborah asked if the state government would fund the costs of the gap?

ACTION. When Robin returns the CICCC will revisit the issue of a possible letter to DIIRD re the storage time gap issue.

 

 

4.4 Maribyrnong City Council Report

* John Luppino reminded the CICCC that he had e-mailed the Community Alert Project draft brochure to everyone during the month. As yet he has not received any comments from the CICCC. It is anticipated that the brochure will be updated and mailed out to everyone in the community every 2 years and it will be provided in all ‘new residents’ kits.

Faye suggested that the document include a date to identify when it was last updated. Current information will be vital for residents.

John added that different colours for the updated versions might also be used.

ACTION. John will resend the e-mail containing the draft brochure to everyone.

Colleen reminded the CICCC that HazMAG first requested fridge magnets 11 years ago. She suggested they contain information rather than graphics and that a square shape might be preferred. Due to the redistribution of boundaries, the Hobsons Bay area now includes the Mobil P/L facility.

John suggested that everyone necessary, despite boundaries, should get the relevant information.

* John said the MCC have secured government funding for the council emergency telephone-messaging project. Expatite P/L are developing the software for the project which will be used by MCC, the fire brigade and the police. The system will be trialed in the next few weeks.

ACTION. CICCC members to contact Theo if they wish to be included in the trials (as mentioned above) during the coming month.

ACTION. John to take on notice the cost of the project.

 

 

4.5 Terminals P/L Report

* Paul Haywood gave the Terminals monthly report.

The report attachment will be in the next June mailout.

The following points were made-

• Hose handling equipment is required to avoid operator injuries.

• An alarm system will be installed to notify of any future burnouts in the wiring as occurred in the fire panel.

• George is in the USA looking at similar operations.

• EPA personnel have been on the site during the month.

• Results of the air/water monitoring not available this month.

 

 

ITEM 5. CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

10 April 2003.

* Include apologies from Carlo and Peter.

* The CICCC requested that in future individual’s names be attributed to all the minuted statements.

 

 

ITEM 6.

CORRESPONDENCE OUT

* Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 7.

CORRESPONDENCE IN

* Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 8. ACTION ITEMS FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

8.1 Advertising for the new committee members.

This matter is to be actioned by Robin on his return.

* Peter said there should be more community representatives on the CICCC as they add value to the committee. The CICCC need to develop a structured process of assessing the CICCC’s functions and any gaps that need to be filled by representatives to accomplishing these things.

He said he has to get feedback from the community reps and feed that information back to the Combined Environment Group which he represents. In the past when they were members of the CICCC, HazMAG and the Kensington Group reps feed their community’s information to me via the CICCC. Representatives of these groups are no longer on the CICCC.

Deborah said that CICCC member volunteers were called for at the last Kensington Residents meeting. She has recently become a member of the Kensington Group. She will give them summaries of the CICCC as required.

Ian said the reps who represent other community groups get two lots of sitting fees - one for attendance at the CICCC and one for attendance and reporting to and fro at their community group meetings.

John said the community survey indicated that the community saw HazMAG as the main group representing their needs in this matter.

Peter asked if HazMAG was ceasing operations soon or not?

Faye said that the wider Melbourne metropolitan area residents also had an interest in Terminals Coode Island activities. There could be many individual responses to the advertisement from the wider metropolitan area.

ACTION. Peter will discuss the wording of the advertisement with Robin and bring a draft to the next meeting. ‘Local’ input is to be the focus of the advertisement.

 

 

8.2 CICCC Meeting Frequency

Peter questioned the proposed change of frequency as discussed at the last meeting. He said experience told him that if the frequency were changed the meetings would disappear.

Other CICCC members agreed with Peter’s comments.

 

 

8.3 Attendance at Coode Island Users Group meetings.

Peter said the invitation to the CICCC from the CIUG was a positive thing - specially given the CIUG’s past reticence to attend and discuss the proposed plan for the radio announcement Emergency Response actions, as proposed in other years by the CICCC.

Ian said he and Michael have volunteered to attend the CIUG meeting in the near future. He said before attending the meeting, he needs clarification about the terms of his involvement.

Bronwyn explained that George Horman’s discussion (from the previous meeting) of the future of the CICCC included consideration of other activities which occurred on Coode Island. George highlighted the different groups that meet in regards to Coode Island including the CIUG, the port reform issues etc. The CIUG are seen as one of the groups doing this work.

Ian said the CICCC is the consulting committee and that a ‘users group’ is a different entity. Ian said the CIUG should be joining the CICCC.

John said the MPC want to consult more widely with the community. He said Nick Easy (MPC) had made this point when he met recently with the CICCC. He suggested the CICCC invite Chris Wittacker (from MPC) to further inform the CICCC about their community consultation plans.

Peter said he shared Robin’s view that the MPC have been difficult to deal with. The CICCC are interested in dealing with the companies on CI and not the Coode Island Users Group.

Bronwyn added that there are also other MH sites in the area of CI and surrounds, that the MPC attend as they are related to the port.

Ian suggested the CICCC write to MPC.

 

 

ITEM 9. ADVICE FROM LISA FALDON ON SEABED CONTAMINATION WITH HEAVY METALS.

Defer to the next meeting.

 

 

ITEM 10. AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MEETING 12 June 2003

* See the ACTION ITEMS above.

 

 

CLOSE.

9.40pm

 

 

 

NEXT MEETINGS

**Thursday 12 June 2003 NOTE CHANGED DETAILS FOR THIS MEETING

4.30pm Gate 1 Terminals Site on Coode Island

Tour of the site, followed by CICCC meeting

Thursday 10 July 2003


  Get this as a Microsoft Word document